Tell me about Nashville

JerryP

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CA is for young guys, not an old prick like me. My brother just left CA. I talked to Mark Cameron about going out there to help him get his amps built, but it just doesn't sound like the place for me.

Nashville sounds good from what I've been able to find. I want to get to a warmer climate, a state that doesn't {censored} over it's people, and a more laid back life.

Jerry

I'd suggest looking at Loudoun county VA or Jefferson county WV. Jerry you would thrive mainly because IMHO northern VA and MD areas seem to lack reliable amp techs and/or builders. Those two counties are business friendly and are outside the densly populated areas, maybe 35 miles. You'll have alot customers that would make the trek out you. Nashville is nice to visit but I wouldn't want a business there. I have to agree with Death Monkey. I lived there for about a year and worked in Murfeesboro, TN.

:

• Members

Holy {censored}, don't do it.

1.The techs that are there have been there for decades, and have locked up the serious business. Nashville is also a vintage town - mods are very frowned upon. Also, no one with any moniez plays rock, much less metal. Unless you like trading work on blown 5150s for tshirts and skate decks, you're gonna starve.

Nashville is a really conservative place - not politically (Davidson is usually a blue county), but they don't like new things. Newcomers have a REALLY hard time breaking into anything. People have too much time and money at stake to {censored} around with unproven anything, you know what I mean?

2. Nashville is REALLY small, and VERY boring. "Downtown" is all of three blocks on Broadway, two blocks on 2nd. And unless you really like drunk rednecks, and drunk soldiers from Fort Campbell, and drunk rich kids from Vandy, you're not really going to find much to do. Hillsboro Village is a tad better (you can see my name on the wall of The Villager as Captain of the champion Fugitive Popes on our wall plaque!), but it's still sports bars and Vandy kids.

Coming from NY, you're going to be bored {censored}less. Once you've seen the CMHF and Hatch Show Print, you're pretty much done.

3. It's the buckle of the Bible Belt. And I mean the BUCKLE. I moved there a pretty involved Christian. I left a hardcore Atheist. Draw your own conclusions.

4. Unless you like women who wear heels with jeans with zippers at the ankle, use enough peroxide to kill all the crabs in the Bering Sea and do coke like it'll cure wrinkles, you're going to have to up your pr0n budget. Drugging college girls is only fun for so long.

I loved my time in Nashville because of the people, because I loved my band, and my job, but 8 years was 4 years too many.

Austin is the "Seattle of the 90's" of the 00's, but it's a fun town. San Francisco is a great city, and New Orleans is chock full of economic opportunities.

Dude it's not like Jerry is an unknown in the amps world. There are more than just country bands in Nashville, also a lot of new country guitarist play higher gain stuff.

• Members

CA is for young guys, not an old prick like me. My brother just left CA. I talked to Mark Cameron about going out there to help him get his amps built, but it just doesn't sound like the place for me.

Nashville sounds good from what I've been able to find. I want to get to a warmer climate, a state that doesn't {censored} over it's people, and a more laid back life.

Jerry

TX---No state income tax, cost of living is low compared to up north and there are tons of bands, all kinds of bands down here. And its warm.......

• Members

Forgot to add that 3 of the largest cities in the US are within short driving distances, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio............and the UT women are HOT!!!football ain't bad either!

• Members
Good Gawd, I wish someone would go there and help him build the son of a bitches!!!!!!
:)

Mark is doing it his way and the results seem to be worth the wait. I've yet to ever hear anyone complain about the end result of his work. He doesn't want to just pump them out, he builds them one at a time and doesn't send them out till he's 100% satisfied. It's his name on it and he wants it right, I feel the same way about my work.
Jerry

• Members

I think the protests and negative commentary towards Nashville is a bit on the over exaggerated side. I've been here since 1970 and have seen ups/downs, etc.. but overall the city has grown massively. Especially in the last 4-5 years. Despite that, people remain very friendly and helpful. It's also a very tax friendly place for individuals and businesses.

I believe with your reputation and skills, you'd be able to do quite a bit of business. Probably more than you can handle! Yes, there are pockets of close minded and/or jaded musicians, but most of them aren't and would love some options, flexibility, and so forth.

Anyway, I think it'd be great if you came here, though some of the other cities mentioned are also quality candidates.

• Members

I thought about Texas too, my family is all on the east coast so I'd rather stay east.
I don't just do metal amps, I work on and mod everything. I'm just known most for my work with 5150's. I would have no problem working on Fender amps and building amps for country players.
My business is mostly internet based so I can move anywhere. Picking up local work is a nice bonus, but I can survive anywhere.
Jerry

• Members

I think the protests and negative commentary towards Nashville is a bit on the over exaggerated side. I've been here since 1970 and have seen ups/downs, etc.. but overall the city has grown massively. Especially in the last 4-5 years. Despite that, people remain very friendly and helpful. It's also a very tax friendly place for individuals and businesses.

I believe with your reputation and skills, you'd be able to do quite a bit of business. Probably more than you can handle! Yes, there are pockets of close minded and/or jaded musicians, but most of them aren't and would love some options, flexibility, and so forth.

Anyway, I think it'd be great if you came here, though some of the other cities mentioned are also quality candidates.

I've spoken with a few folks in the Nashville area and they told me the same thing you just said.

Are there any bad sections of town to stay away from when it comes to finding a place to live? I don't have to be right in Nashville, the surrounding areas would be fine.

Jerry

• Members

I've spoken with a few folks in the Nashville area and they told me the same thing you just said.

Are there any bad sections of town to stay away from when it comes to finding a place to live? I don't have to be right in Nashville, the surrounding areas would be fine.

Jerry

North Nashville is typically regarded as an undesirable area, though it's not universally true. East Nashville has been undergoing a huge revival in recent years with several "bachelors" (ahem..) doing renovations on older homes, etc... businesses are booming there (think restaurants, wine bars, shops). West and South Nashville (especially Cool Springs and Franklin) are considered desirable locales for residency, with variances in price of course. Depends on what type of thing your seeking and budget of course.

As for areas just outside the city, there's Murfreesboro, Mt Juliet, Lebanon, Hermitage, the aforementioned Cool Springs/Franklin, and outer stretches of Bellevue that are worth consideration.

All in all, a very healthy choice of options.

• Members
Mark is doing it his way and the results seem to be worth the wait. I've yet to ever hear anyone complain about the end result of his work. He doesn't want to just pump them out, he builds them one at a time and doesn't send them out till he's 100% satisfied. It's his name on it and he wants it right, I feel the same way about my work.

Jerry

I know, I want one badly!!!!!:thu:

• Members

Jerry

Nashville would work then. :thu:

Being famous for what you do now, and business wise, I believe things would only get better for you on this move. Good luck either way.

• Members
I think the protests and negative commentary towards Nashville is a bit on the over exaggerated side.

I can only go on my experience, and that of the people I knew first hand. Starting a music related business is by all accounts extremely difficult without having an in to Music Row. While not every musician in Nashville works on the Row, it does tend to dictate where people take stuff.

Everybody goes to Joe Glaser's shop, for example - regardless of the fact that plenty of fine luthiers populate Nashville, and Joe's wait time is over 6 weeks. Same with amp stuff. Not to mention it's a VERY name-droppy town. Everyone wants to go where the stars go.

I'm not saying Jerry isn't awesome, or WON'T succeed, I'm just illustrating a very real pitfall of working in Nashville. Just like musicians, amp, guitar, and recording techs move to Nashville every day, and competing in that crucible is BRUTAL - I started my studio business there, I'm not guessing about this. I'm not saying this for my ego, nor do I think Jerry doesn't know this. It just really is one of those things that is far worse than people think it is.

Jerry, if you feel that your internet/mail order business is strong enough that you don't have to depend on getting new clients immediately to survive, then by all means go for it. I think if you can get your products into the right hands, you'll do gangbusters - the only caveat I am offering is that it may take some time to break in. If you can take that time, then by all means, doooo iiiit.

Like I said, I really enjoyed certain aspects of living in Nashville - obviously, as I lived there for almost a decade. I'm just tryin to look out for ya, buddy :D

• Members
I can only go on my experience, and that of the people I knew first hand. Starting a music related business is by all accounts extremely difficult without having an in to Music Row. While not every musician in Nashville works on the Row, it does tend to dictate where people take stuff.

Everybody goes to Joe Glaser's shop, for example - regardless of the fact that plenty of fine luthiers populate Nashville, and Joe's wait time is over 6 weeks. Same with amp stuff. Not to mention it's a VERY name-droppy town. Everyone wants to go where the stars go.

I'm not saying Jerry isn't awesome, or WON'T succeed, I'm just illustrating a very real pitfall of working in Nashville. Just like musicians, amp, guitar, and recording techs move to Nashville every day, and competing in that crucible is BRUTAL - I started my studio business there, I'm not guessing about this. I'm not saying this for my ego, nor do I think Jerry doesn't know this. It just really is one of those things that is far worse than people think it is.

Jerry, if you feel that your internet/mail order business is strong enough that you don't have to depend on getting new clients immediately to survive, then by all means go for it. I think if you can get your products into the right hands, you'll do gangbusters - the only caveat I am offering is that it may take some time to break in. If you can take that time, then by all means, doooo iiiit.

Like I said, I really enjoyed certain aspects of living in Nashville - obviously, as I lived there for almost a decade. I'm just tryin to look out for ya, buddy
:D

I respect where you're coming from and I appreciate the advice. The way my business is going it's just a matter of changing the shipping address and I'm on my way. I do a lot of local work here for bands, but it's my internet work that keeps things going. I stopped working on all solid state stuff and doing work for the local music stores here because the mod work was backing up. Jerry

• Members

Deathmonkey's right on the money. I live about 3 hours from Nashville, and I'd much rather live in Atlanta or Birmingham. Nashville bores me to death. It's all about who you know there. It has a decent music scene, but I honsetly don't think it's any better than the other two cities I mentioned.

• Members

I sort of doubt - from a purely local business perspecitve - Jerry would be in competition with Joe Glaser, Classic Ax, etc... In fact, I dare say he'd be welcomed in that there are VERY few guys who focus on/specialize in amplifiers primarily (if not solely).

That said, I respect your opinion DM, and know that you have experience living here. However, I see Jerry's business model as being one that could continue its success regardless of location, and would benefit even more so from a local biz standpoint as well. If nothing else, he'd save on taxes :-)

• Members

Deathmonkey's right on the money. I live about 3 hours from Nashville, and I'd much rather live in Atlanta or Birmingham. Nashville bores me to death. It's all about who you know there. It has a decent music scene, but I honsetly don't think it's any better than the other two cities I mentioned.

nashville may be on par scene wise with atlanta... but b ham is nowhere close to nashville. b ham is a ghost town. nashville would probably be better for jerry than austin imo as well. austin is a great city with many many rock bands... but nashville has the ccm market and those guys are mod junkies too. being close to atlanta and memphis and florida is a plus as well. you may want to look into the florida cities.... atlanta is great... nashville is great but both are different. i would think that nashville would produce more work than atl and florida though.

Archived