Friday Influences Thread 04.30.10

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you as a songwriter in the past .. or since the last FIT?

For some reason, I recall this tune, though not this version, being played on classic rock radio. Probably a false memory, but there's nothing false about my complete devotion to this song. The studio cut is really splendid, but the various live youtube versions up really show what these players could do. Chaka Khan is always brilliant. And delicious.

[YOUTUBE]gWcAUxIgXxc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'd always thought of these guys as just another overrated Brooklyn band, but a co-worker convinced me to give them another shot - "They're just like Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band if Bruce were a lot more literary and drunk".

Not sure if I totally agree with his assessment, they certainly cop some dynamics from the E Street Band (especially in the piano parts) but their songs don't strive nearly so hard for anthemic significance, and Craig Finn is one hell of a lyricist.

She was a pretty cool kisser

And not that strict of a Christian

She was a damn good dancer

But not that great of a girlfriend

[YOUTUBE]Isvn_Dsj2bA[/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

My inspiration is the total mind {censored} life can be at times. And how well we strap ourselves in is what determines if you're still in your seat when the ride ends or if you're a greasy spot in in the parking lot beneath the thrill ride.

"Uh, we're missing a passenger..."

"No we're not, there it is. See that dark flattened mess next to the Lexus below Colossus's hairpin thrill turn? There he... uh, it is."

[YOUTUBE]L9EKqQWPjyo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]o-GpX3TTvrE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JMjbh6qX2tg[/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

That groove. It is one hard ass groove to make happen. And then... it works.

I arranged this for a 3 piece plus singer once. The bass taking the combo of bass and clav parts. It's the 1/8 note shadows of the downbeats that can totally pull the rug from under those less equipped or aware. That's most of us. And then... the sea parts, the clouds clear... an the invisible ONE presents itself. Without fanfare. Just as it is. It's there. Not like Gibraltar but more like solid ground ater hiking in mud. Not slammed or exaggerated. You just believe it's there. You don't have to prove it. As a matter of fact, why not just play 1/8's after the fact.

And they do. Rufus grooves something fierce.

• Members

That groove. It is one hard ass groove to make happen. And then... it works.

I arranged this for a 3 piece plus singer once. The bass taking the combo of bass and clav parts. It's the 1/8 note shadows of the downbeats that can totally pull the rug from under those less equipped or aware. That's most of us. And then... the sea parts, the clouds clear... an the invisible ONE presents itself. Without fanfare. Just as it is. It's there. Not like Gibraltar but more like solid ground ater hiking in mud. Not slammed or exaggerated. You just believe it's there. You don't have to prove it. As a matter of fact, why not just play 1/8's after the fact.

And they do. Rufus grooves something fierce.

My word, that's something beautiful.

• Members

Out here in LA, she and Rufus were considered quite hip for pop music, since they combined rock, funk, and soul elements. One of my 70s friends (drummer -- now singer/percussionist -- "Moon" Calhoun) ended up with Rufus around '77 or '78. Like the Staples, that combination of sassy funk and rock elemetns really appealed to me. (Back in the early 70s, though, I have to say that Pop Staples 'preachiness' [well, after all... ;) ] bugged me a little bit... he seemed to be talking directly at me with his anti-profanity jibes. ;) And I strongly suspected that he would be disapproving of my carnal relations with women. :D )

In fact, I think I was thinking about posting the Staples in the next FIT, so, here [music only -- but what great music]:

APxz9JXW8vE

• Members

Speaking of the 70s -- here is an early song that got lumped in with the new music scene. This track totally slays me to this day:

9AKQ2H4QW9M

Never seen this vid before I don't think (even when people made vids back then there wasn't much of any place to see them) but I love the music hall angle...

Something tells me this one might tickle Lee, too. ;)

• Members

Oh, yeah, I need some Staples recommendations. I've been meaning to get deeper into their catalog. Lay it on me, give me something to get! The preachiness don't bother me none, ya backsliding donatist.
:p

I keep telling you... I'm more a Taoist than a Confucian. Translate as you will. ;)

You might want to check out their cover of Steve Still's "For What It's Worth," "Heavy Makes You Happy (Sha-Na-Boom Boom)," "I'll Take You There," "If You're Ready (Come and Go with Me)," "Let's Do It Again," and their covers of "The Weight" and Talking Heads' "Slippery People."

Also, Mavis, the youngest of the sisters (she was born in '39), has kept active as a gospel and secular singer.

I like this passage from her Wikipedia page:

[...]

On Sunday, August 10, the final day of the 2008 Kitchener Blues Festival, backed by her band (Rick Holmstrom on guitar, Jeff Turmes on bass, Stephen Hodges on drums) and her sister Yvonne Staples, Donny Gerrard and Chavonne Morris providing background vocals and harmonies, Mavis Staples came on stage in the middle of a torrential downpour. With the strength of her voice and the power of her message, she brought the very wet but even more enthusiastic crowd to their feet.[
neutrality
is
disputed
][...]

Part of why I like it is that bassist Jeff Turmes is an old buddy of mine and drummer Steve Hodges is a long time Long Beach homie. It's always amused me that LB claims both Hodges (best known for his work with Tom Waits -- he went out and bought his own anvil when he first found out he was going to be playing on his first Waits album) and the hard hitting but facile, always-in-demand Josh Freese.

But what I really like best is that neutrality is disputed... Me, I believe it was the strength of her voice and the power of her message that brought them soggy folks to their feet... I've heard the lady sing live (with the Staples a couple times in the 70s and 80s) and I believe it. For sure. ;)

• Members

My inspiration is the total mind {censored} life can be at times. And how well we strap ourselves in is what determines if you're still in your seat when the ride ends or if you're a greasy spot in in the parking lot beneath the thrill ride.

"Uh, we're missing a passenger..."

"No we're not, there it is. See that dark flattened mess next to the Lexus below Colossus's hairpin thrill turn? There he... uh, it is."

Dude. Sometimes I just go there mentally. It kinda messes me up for a while, but I find it's necessary..

It's funny years ago, I lived a tailspin of my own. Hung out, drank way too much way too often, smoked up (didn't touch the hard stuff though never did, never will), with artists, musicians, writers, etc. But now, I'm out of it and much more stable -- I wouldn't say happier. I got so high, and got so low. Generally, I'm more "meh" on a daily basis, but a lot more stable.

Now, I like to visit that past mentally with my songs but it usually takes me away from things for a few days with the wife wondering why I'm a bit cranky and silent.

That being said, here's my inspiration this week:

[YOUTUBE]tgbNymZ7vqY[/YOUTUBE]

There's a scene from the first season of the muppets I believe, where Gonzo has a sledge hammer smashing a rock screaming "ART!" over and over again. I love it. That to me, is truth. That being said, I love the muppets :)

[YOUTUBE]EHXZA_5XMJ4[/YOUTUBE]

Archived