Have Any of You Made a DIY 1x12???

Emerica167852

• Members

I made one,it ended up costing about $300 with speakers,but its alot of work without the right tools and if you {censored} it up you'll blow all the money on plywood.I love mine,but realistically it would be better to get a nice Avatar,or even a Carvin for the money

• Members

I got a cheapo Blackheart 1X12 for $109.

The construction is fairly decent. It don't see it falling apart on me or anything.

Not crazy about the speaker, but it sounds alright. Easy to upgrade later.

You wouldn't be able to build one cheaper.

• Members

I built a 2x12 when I was 16 and it wasn't a problem. Saws really aren't that dangerous if you aren't an idiot :poke:.

Anyway, if you want a really solid cabinet you're going to want 3/4" 13-ply baltic birch. The actual construction really isn't too tricky, you're basically just making a big box with a hole in the front. I would look up the dimensions of, say, a Mesa or Bogner 1x12 and copy that.

Oh, and including plywood, speakers, tolex, hardware, and grill cloth the whole project cost about $250 for a 2x12. I did buy used WGS speakers for, I think $30-40 a speaker, though, so that helped :thu:

• Members

iI've built a ton of different cabs in my day. The main reason to do it is for enjoyment, or to make something you can find anywhere else. You can make a boutique-like cab for far less than you can buy one. But you can't make a budget cab cheaper than you can buy one.

• Members

Im thinking of doing this. i was wondering. How much does all the materials cost to make one?? Is it cheeper that just buying a decent 1x12?

whatever miniscule savings there might be (assuming you already have tools. if you don't, it'll be significantly cheaper to buy a cab) won't be worth the time you'll have to invest in building a good cab. i'm going from personal experience here, DIY'ing cabs to save money is the wrong reason to do it.

• Members

don't do it to save money - you won't.

do it because you want to do it, and you're willing to pay for the experience whether or not the end result is good.

^^ This^^ I've been building cabs since I was 12 and while you won't save money, you will get an education. That's priceless. Just don't cut off your fingers, you'll miss them when you want to play.

• Members

good advice here - I was getting frustrated not being able to find an empty 1x12 for less than $100, which I figured was a fair number, so I decided to build my own.

As others have said here, I ended up spending well over $100, although I did get what I wanted - a 1x12 that matched the size of my VJr. cabinet (width-wise) - I couldn't find one that dimension anywhere, and it was a chore to get the speaker to fit properly.

In the end I was VERY happy with the result, but I wouldn't do it again.

• Members

^^ This^^ I've been building cabs since I was 12 and while you won't save money, you will get an education. That's priceless. Just don't cut off your fingers, you'll miss them when you want to play.

yeah it seems like it would be a fun experience

• Members

p.s.... unless you plan on making it huge, for a 1x12, 3/4" ply is overkill. the pieces are so short there's barely any flex even with lighter materials.

you'll get a much lighter and much more resonant/vibrant sounding 1x12 from something like 3/4" solid pine. i built a 1x12 from a single board of pine, with a 5/8" ply baffle, and it sounded great. i just took a tape measure and found a board that i could cut all the pieces from between knots, and ended up with a knot-free, super-solid lightweight and great-sounding cab.

wasn't cheap in the end, but the pine board only cost $13. :thu:

• Members

iI've built a ton of different cabs in my day. The main reason to do it is for enjoyment, or to make something you can find anywhere else. You can make a boutique-like cab for far less than you can buy one. But you can't make a budget cab cheaper than you can buy one.

^ yup...do it, not that hard, great project for a shop class, you can make it easy or as hard as you want...search diy threads

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1754656&highlight=cabinet+building

• Members

i wouldn't bother building a cabinet in the US because there are so many cab manufacturers and so much used stuff going around...i think you can get anything you want from someone`s regular production line or made for you for a fair amount of $

Archived