End Of Time

lynn51

• Moderators

totally.

Edit: My apologies. When I first encountered your thread there was no link to music. I thought you were one of the many recent bots.

So... there is music.

Cool. I love the NIN bass tone used in a pop way. That's sort of a Trent meets Axel F thing that's pretty clever. Nice, hooky part. Great use of that type of 8th note anticipated drum groove. Your bass part capitolizing on it in a cool way. Your slide guitar is awesome in its poppiness. Well integrated into the arrangement. Even some Donald Fagan influence in the horn/key parts.

I like the way you're using electronica elements without falling into the genre at all. Pop/rock music and very nicely done. Original with your own stamp. Cool, hooky tune. :thu:

• Members

+1 for taking the vox down about 3 db or so. I would also consider doing drum fills that are a bit more sparse...some of the rapid snare and tom hits are a bit machine-gun-like. I liked the slide guitar bits a lot. I just started trying to learn a bit of slide and I'm learning that it's really hard to play good slide.

• Members

Greg I love your song "Fade". Very well done, nice vocal. I appreciate your suggestions, and I think you're on the right track. I'll post a remix in the next week or so. Thanks for taking the time.

All the best,

Lynn

• Members

It's nice in many ways. But it seems too predictable and formulaic to me. I'm looking for some fresh image or thought to make it "real;" something to give it life. It seems too removed and general. Maybe I'm too blase about Icelandic volcanoes. But the images aren't striking fear or anxiety in my heart.

• Members

My thoughts about the end of the world. Recorded entirely in the box in Sonar 8.5.3.

Regards to all,

Lynn

My bad. I forgot to post the link.

From Beck's "Loser" forward, there's just something about the combination of a bluesy slide guitar and some synths and beats that somehow remains greatly appealing.

And you've taken an admirably broad and mostly spot on approach, whipping up a slightly tweaked but oddly coherent revisitation of soul-rock conventions (the horn-like synth 'section' is an especially nice touch, filling a horn section's shoes nicely, but still remaining defiantly synthetic).

And, of course, the stylistic mash suits the timely topic nicely.

• Members

Well, Marshal, you caught me. I got the recipe off a soup can. I wasn't trying to scare anyone, but if it's fear you want, check out my song "Fade To Black" on the same site. BTW, you play some very tasty acoustic guitar. I like "Kali" very much. Thanks for taking the time.

Blue2blue, I appreciate your comments very much. I, too, am a fan of Beck, but I wasn't thinking of him when I wrote that part. Actually, slide is one of the most difficult things for me to play, but I like to challenge myself from time to time. I have a friend that plays trumpet, and I will be adding him to the mix in the near future. Thanks for listening.

Best to all,

Lynn

Archived