Friday Influences Thread 07.02.10

• Members

0013729e48090ba410ee0b.jpg

Thats funny - I read one time that most car horns were an F, I'm not sure why.

I've still been doing most of my writting with the guitar tuned to open G. I've been trying to write songs that arent in the key of G and enjoying the challenge.

• Moderators

My influence this week?

After working 16 hours days and weekends on a huge marketing campaign at work. Training a know-it-all whippersnapper and getting him through the inevitable setbacks of big projects... and being generally worn out mentally and physically...

I got a 75 minute massage last night and took today off.

So the concept of rest. Of recuperation. Of inevitable setbacks as being part of the process of any type of creative or physical progress.

The idea that forward motion in life in not always a straight line but 2 steps forward... 1 step back. The natural rhythm of personal progress and achievement. Learning to dance on that rhythm is key.

And that one setback is only really a setup for... your next 2 steps forward.

Especially when you plan your setbck in the form of a 75 minute massage.

_m/

• Members

Thats funny - I read one time that most car horns were an F, I'm not sure why.

I've still been doing most of my writting with the guitar tuned to open G. I've been trying to write songs that arent in the key of G and enjoying the challenge.

The existence of the car horn organ would challenge your first statement. As for the second, I remember playing in F on open G was my favorite--give it a try!

I just finished up all of my school commitments, and am now able to enjoy a month or so of summer vacation. Right on schedule, inspiration came by as soon as I took a minute to breathe, so I'm working on a bunch of new things without thinking about where they come from.

I went to see Levon Helm on Wednesday, though, and it certainly was inspiring to see a 70 yo man (with 50+ years of road time) working his craft. Great show if you get a chance to see it.

• Members

Didn't Dylan eventually abandon "finger-pointing" songs? Maybe that's what Dylan had to do to get beyond the
of Guthrie? Kill the Buddha in the road.

I've never done a finger pointing song, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Mine's rather a nonpartisan "I don't like any of the bums" type of thing.

Only got a few lines so far....

Politickin Man

Politicking man came to my town

Come a politickin up a storm

"Gonna bring you jobs and lots of that money

"Keep you safe, happy and warm"

Well i knew that he was lying cause his lips were a moving

That seems to be about the norm...

And so on. I know, it's kinda silly. More of an exercise than anything I suppose. Just messing around.

Cool link, BTW. Something I suppose we all struggle with as themes and subjects are fairly constant and finding new ways to deal with them without being derivitive isn't easy.

EG

• Members

I

Cool link, BTW. Something I suppose we all struggle with as themes and subjects are fairly constant and finding new ways to deal with them without being derivitive isn't easy.

I don't agree with Bloom, but it is an interesting theory that seems to get some traction among the kyphotic tweeds in the ivory tower.

• Members

I posted about Nneka before -- and she's become totally ingrained in my everyday listening... I love this girl and her music...

GIDjwGChFo4 ndpHo05kyPg

Some old guys lose it. Some don't... of all the 'post-Hendrix' guitarists, possibly none has captured what I loved about Hendrix as much as Robin Trower, who was already a veteran player and well known as the guitarist for keyboard-dominated Procol Harum when Jimi hit his stride... but it's become clear that Trower subsequently became a disciple and spiritual heir of Jimi. After Jimi made a fatal lifestyle choice, Trower carried on that dreamy thang that Jimi tossed off so casually... Trower may not have that air of casual abandon -- but his playing is as graceful and knowing as it is smack-on...

IkY0PGGxjJM

Archived