Axe-FX Challenge: Can you get this tone?

mparsons

• Members

I'm redoing my rig right now ( Going from ENGL e530+Marshall JMP-1 and Rocktron Replifex to ENGL e530 + Triaxis and G-Major 2 ), and I realized that I could get an Axe-FX for the same cash.

Can it get the tone from Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia? How about Opeth's Ghost Reveries? If it can get both of those tones, I will buy one.

• Members

I'm redoing my rig right now ( Going from ENGL e530+Marshall JMP-1 and Rocktron Replifex to ENGL e530 + Triaxis and G-Major 2 ), and I realized that I could get an Axe-FX for the same cash.

Can it get the tone from Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia? How about Opeth's Ghost Reveries? If it can get both of those tones, I will buy one.

Dimmu was a engl ?

what amps do opeth use ?

I will try it when mine arrives.

• Members

so many go for studio tones when they know damn well they are processed and have 20 guitar track layers most of the time
:confused:

I am talking about "in the studio" tones here. I want it for recording first, and playing live second. If I can get those two types of tones then I'll be plenty happy with whatever I get for live use.

• Members

I wonder if a POD X3 and a decent MIDI switcher would save you a ton of cash:confused:, but hey I digress it's your money.

I am strongly against Line 6's products due to their extremely crappy reliability. I've never used any of their really high end products, but how do they compare?

• Members

I am strongly against Line 6's products due to their extremely crappy reliability. I've never used any of their really high end products, but how do they compare?

what, to an AXE- fX, haha, didn't I warn you about comparing a POD to an AXE- fX oookaay! you asked for it.

:snax:

• Members

I never try to copy other albums' tones... I'm fairly sure the answer is yes, or "yes to within a very small margin of error" but I can't be certain. In general if I have a particular tone in my head I can fiddle with enough parameters on the Axe-FX to get there.

• Members

I never try to copy other albums' tones... I'm fairly sure the answer is yes, or "yes to within a very small margin of error" but I can't be certain.

Would you mind giving it a shot? I can give you some DI's to use with reamping :D

• Members

Would you mind giving it a shot? I can give you some DI's to use with reamping
:D

I'd rather not, because I'm pretty busy right now music-wise... maybe when I get to Japan and have a little down-time? But really, what's the point? If I don't/can't get the tone you're looking for, all that means is that one person can't... it doesn't mean you or someone else can't...

It's a great unit, and it can nail virtually any tone. But no one knows if it's right for you.

• Members

Originally Posted by HKSblade1

Are you comparing POD X3 Pro to the AFX?

I'm not going to agree with POD X3 PRO being Toys R US level.

AFX is not an audio interface for pc

AFX is not a Mic Interface

No USB for editor

No Headphone jack

(all of which can be found on most audio recording interfaces)

POD X3 PRO has the above, but those hardware items are not the concern of most guys in the studio. AFX is regarded more as a pro grade system which design is specific to modeling and effects. There are no proprietary requirements of control hardware with the AFX. Pick what suits you.

AFX has more detail and offer some extra tools in creating your own amp sound. The fixed amp models on the POD are decent enough for many pro's and amateurs in the live field and can be great recording fun.

The AFX on the other hand allows more depth in creating a new breed of amp with tweaks you won't find in POD. You won't find POD with output transformer tweaks, Sag, thump, boosts, or other refinements like bias and so on. Does it matter? For some it does, for others it does not and they prefer a simpler "fixed" approach.

Both designs can use 2 amps at once, with a variation of effects in R/L paths.

The effects design and range of adjustments of the AFX far outweigh the POD PRO X3. AFX can have its effects placements in a number of combinations from serial, parallel or series parallel. No other units can do that.

AFX as an effect unit is a far step above the POD PRO X3. As repeated over and over here, these hardware modelers can be as {censored} or an excellent as the user allows them to be.

......So I'm told:rolleyes: oh and EDIT:Fixed

Archived