Describe how you *generally* mic a cab

Say Ocean

• Members

Obviously it's going to change recording to recording, situation to situation, but what have you done for your favorite tones you've recorded and all that? Do you use a ribbon mic? Do generally pull your sm57 a few inches back from the grill? Use a room mic? etc.?

Clips too :D I'm fed up with how my mic'ing always leads to thin gritty tones

• Members
ask thinkpad...look at his little recording tutorial on his sig.

No I know all that... I've done a lot of recording, I'm just trying to perfect my sound or get some new ideas I haven't thought of cause it's annoying :mad:

• Members
:snax:
does want to know. Mine sounds fizzy too.

change mics, change guitars, turn down a bit, turn up a bit, go left or dead center....

there's no exact science. on a live gig i try to go as center as possible before the fizz to cut through.

studio is different though. i like my signal dry going in so i'll throw a towel over the cab and mic to eliminate most of the room bleed.. and from there its just experimenting. a 57 will be kind of harsh so it needs to be placed right. try a 609 or something different.

• Members

Check my Instrumental prog myspace in sig for clips . I always start with the mic between the edge and center mic facing directly at the speaker about an inch from the grille. I don't like 45 degree angle some use, I mic it dead on the cone(perpendicular).with a SM57 of course.

• Members

I generally just go the easiest route of jamming a vocal mic right up into the speaker, maybe an inch or two out, located almost centered, but pointing slightly away from the dustcap, sometimes angled even more so that it is nearly perpendicular to the surface of the cone.

You have heard my clips, though in none of them but the cleaner ones, have i taken much care to get exactly the sounds i could. Usually i am in too much of a rush to get things down quickly for "so i can remember the part" demo purposes.

But even for that type of hit and run mic placement, what i described is not too far off what i usually wind up with, even when i spend more time with the placement and amp settings. :idk:

-chris

• Members

I'm no recording expert but I keep an eye on our bass player while he's setting stuff up. He's got a drawer full of sm57's we normally use, but on our most recent song it was a 57 about an inch or two from the amp's grill and a condenser mic (don't know what brand) about 1-2 feet back, both run into a presonus firebox and using cubase. Don't have "clips" per se, but http://www.myspace.com/pioneerprogress

The two newer songs, "Lie Awake" and "Detour" were using the firebox. The older songs we had a different interface and were using adobe instead of cubase, so it didn't sound that great. Warning: my guitar parts are miked amp, the other guitar player was using a (very nice) amp sim program, guitar plugged directly into the interface.

• Members
The soundguy just stuck an SM57 in front of my cab, no testing for good spots, nothing.
:facepalm:

that's pretty standard. it's up to you to move the mic around and find the sweet spot. usually in a smaller room the pa is only going to have 10 or 20 percent of your signal in it anyway. we guitarists play loud and most of what the crowd hears (or doesn't hear) is your stage volume. this is why sound men ask us to turn down... we then piss and moan and they turn us off.

• Members

that's pretty standard. it's up to you to move the mic around and find the sweet spot. usually in a smaller room the pa is only going to have 10 or 20 percent of your signal in it anyway. we guitarists play loud and most of what the crowd hears (or doesn't hear) is your stage volume. this is why sound men ask us to turn down... we then piss and moan and they turn us off.

He's an asshole soundguy though. If I touched it he would say "Hey! What are you doing?!"

• Members

covers a bunch of different mic positions and explains a lot. long winded but helpful.

Is it just me or do several of the mic positions look and sound the same? :idk:

I was surprised at how different the sound was at different distances to the cone though. The out of phase vs in-phase was interesting too.

• Members

IMO (and experience) live micing is completely different than studio mic'ing...and should be left seperate of each other in regards to Jeff's situation.

Live mic'ing you are just "supplementing" your amps sound with the PA speakers, but most of your tone is still coming out of your amp (in most bar gigs...outdoor gigs and arena concerts are obviously different)...

Micing for recording is trying to get the exact representation of the amp sound in the room, thus requiring much more attention to detail.

That said, shut up with the live mic'ing {censored} :p

Jeff, i think the key is to just play around. Watch that video that was posted earlier in the thread, that will give you LOTS of ideas to fool around with. It's going to depend on your setup and room more than anything, so i think you're just gonna need to spend some time moving the mic around.

Now get us a gat damn clip with that shiny new interface already :cool::love:

• Members

The out of phase vs in-phase was interesting too.

I like to play with the phase of two mics.

In a DAW, it's easy to click/drag one track to adjust the phase relationship of the two mics, from perfectly aligned to completely {censored}ing out of phase. You can get a lot of interesting sounds by messing with the phase relationship.

• Members

I feel like I have actually contributed today on HCAF for once...yay! Seriously though, that video I posted is extremely useful for beginners and even though it says "how to record metal guitar" it can apply to a lot of other things.

• Members

it depends on the mic but generally the more distortion/gain the closer the mic for that mic type.

Dynamics like a 57 or i5 are pretty close and usually end up pointed at the DustCup/Cone thereabouts

Ribbons - usually at least 6 to 8 inches back and probably pointed right at the DustCup

Blackstar->H75->57

RevJr->V30->FatHead

M90->M75->R92 (Blumlein Cong)

Princeton reverb->M75->FatHead

5150->GS1275 (Mic is either a SM57, i5 or ATM650)

Archived