Why can't guitar amps be more like bass amps?

mparsons

• Members
Look at this:

591563.jpg

$600 brand new, 300W at 8ohms, with a 4 band EQ. Weighs 7 lbs. And its tiny.

I want a small, cheap, powerful, and light guitar amp that sounds decent. Any out there?

Balanced input:confused: Are basses generally wired with an XLR jack?

• Members

Because, while bassists crave things like:

SUPER clean headroom

Incredibly efficient speakers

Guitarists don't want those things. Ultra clean + ultra efficient = dead sounding (for a guitar player). Most guitar speakers are not that efficient, especially lower wattage speakers like greenbacks and blues which allow for some "speaker overdrive" which is desirable in guitar tone.

And a "pushed" sounding poweramp is nearly impossible without dying @500 watts RMS.

• Members

The answer is quite simple. Bassists have embraced technology. Guitarists have imbraced history.

Take the blackstar HT-5 for example. Solid state distortion. It could easily be amplified by a tiny class-D amp with a switching power supply and be about the size of a clock radio and under $200, but it wouldn't sell. But make it bigger and more expensive so you can stick a tube in it, and it's the next gotta-have item.

• Members

i don't, it's stupid. amps aren't computers, the objective here is not compactness or efficiency, it's great tone.

I never said anything to the contrary. Whether it's right or wrong, people's perception of "great tone" is heavily influenced by the past.

And why is it "stupid"? Just because your narrow minded ass doesn't agree?

• Members
The answer is quite simple. Bassists have embraced technology. Guitarists have imbraced history.

Great post!
Bassist= Add strings, change electronics, change the way they play,multi way amplification and they are happy.
Guitarists=40 year old amp, 50 year old guitar and they are happy

• Members

What I'd like to see more on guitar amps are more versatile EQs. Bassists are used to things like parametric mids, full-blown graphic EQs and whatnot but guitar amps tend to stick to the ol' bass-middle-treble EQ setup. I really liked how my old Yamaha DG80 combo had an active EQ with separate controls for low and high mids. After all, mids are very important in guitar tone so why not have more control over them?

As for size, I don't think it's really a problem of tubes but the transformers tend to be pretty big. Even the ones that use toroidal transformers take quite a bit of space. That's probably also where a big part of the weight comes from.

• Members

i will be 100% willing to use SS/digital amps when they can soft clip without odd order harmonics...just like tubes do
:o

Tubes clip with odd order harmonic too, and SS amps / digital distortions can be EASILY made to clip with muuuuuuuuuuuuuch more 2nd order harmonic than tubes will ever be capable of. And implementing soft clipping is trivial (you'd be surprised how much hard clipping 6L6 give ...)

The only important thing that POWER tubes add is lots of compression when overdriven. This gives that ueber nice feeling when playing, and an extreme effectiveness in cleaning the sound when rolling back the guitar volume. But it is not a matter of sound.

Archived