What's a Good "Singer Songwriter" Acoustic Guitar?

takanick

• Members

I'm not sure there's a difference between a good "Singer Songwriter" guitar and just a good guitar. You might try asking the same question in the Acoustic Guitar forum. Nice bunch of people there who I'm sure will jump in with opinions.

well based on my experiences and other, a typical "singer songwriter guitar" is:

Small body - because they're comfortable, they don't project as much volume as most other size acoustic guitars, they won't over power your singing voice, easy to travel with, they're light, snappy, fits anywhere, just an easy pick me up guitar, etc.

I am aware that typical sized acoustics like dreadnoughts win in sound quality. But they're huge and I'm not just a guitar player, I gotta do the singing and the writing too.

• Members

For writing I like a guitar that I'm comfortable with and don't have to worry about. I need an instrument that doesn't need to go back in it's case........I need it to be leaning against the wall or sitting in that stand right where I left it last night.

I agree that small body guitars work best......I like to be able to keep it in my lap while I'm reaching for that pad to write down some lyrics.

Look for an old Stella....cheaply procured on EBay.

• Members

I know small bodied guitars are a convenience, but when I'm writing, nothing inspires me more than great tone. On an acoustic, an electric or a keyboard, a great patch or sweet tone will often get me started on a song. If I was just playing on something pedestrian, I might not get the vibe I need to get started. Also, almost everybody gigs with a PA, even in a coffee house, so small isn't a help there.

• Members

Well

The truth is what ever you're comfortable with; whatever makes you happy to play.

But in actuality there are certain instruments that pop up quite often amoungst singer/songwriter types. It's more of an aesthetic thing. Old Gibsons are the rage. A nice old J45 shows you're serious about your music. If you're a chick, maybe you want a small bodied instrument.

If you're a folk performer, or a Bluegrass person, then a Martin Dreadnaught is a required badge of honor.

If you're a finger style instrumentalist, it has to be a boutique (custom built) instrument; preferably with Brazzzziiiillllliiiiaaannnnn rosewood and European spruce.

If you're a Contemporary Christian artist, a nice Taylor or a MacPherson.

If your Country (old style) a J-200. Or a Martin dread, again. If your New Country, a glitzie Taylor, or a Takamaine will do you well; preferably black.

If you're into jazz, then it's got to be an arched top instrument.

But these are all aesthetic things. A guitar is a guitar.

• Members

I have a nice Taylor, but I am not a Contemporary Christian artist.

I have a black Aria, but I am not New Country.

I am into jazz, and I do have an arched top instrument.

Whatever works for you. As uab said, if you need to be in love with your tone to be inspired, then get something that inspires you.

• Members

If you're a finger style instrumentalist, it has to be a boutique (custom built) instrument; preferably with
Brazzzziiiillllliiiiaaannnnn
rosewood and European spruce.

I'm thinking Marshall's being pretty ironic in his whole post.

Not having the money for an expensive spread 000, I picked up a Silver Creek (Musician's Friend house line) T-160 (solid spruce top, solid mahogany sides and back; they also have a rosewood model as well as a similar pair of dreads).

They go on sale a few times a year. Unfortunately, they just came off a really good sale and are back up to their current, 'normal' $299 price [i think the other models are typically a little more] -- but watch for price drops through the year (quarterly, I'm betting) as low as $200 or even lower (as they were a few weeks back on the Stupid Deal of the Day. In fact, since they've been the Stupid Deal a few times, it might even be worth subscribing to the Stupid Deal RSS or email notifications... OTOH, if you don't have willpower, such an act could be dangerous. :D )

Anyhow, mostly I've had a dread as a primary steel string over the years, and I have a nice Norman (it's like, Seagull, Jr, but almost the same price) I really like but hoisting my right shoulder over it was getting to be a pain. In fact, I would often play it left knee, neck up (classical style) in order to reduce both shoulder and wrist issues (I'm a fingerpicker).

The T-160 plays really nicely and sounds pretty cool -- although much more reverberant than I was expecting for 'hog sides and back.

They're not fully set up when you get them from Musician's Friend, who oversees their manufacture; they used to sell them with a stateside pro setup -- but it was adding a lot to the potential price points -- and then a lot of folks like different set ups, anyhow, so they dropped back to a basic Chinese factory set up. A lot of folks replace the saddle and or nut. Some folks replace the retro box tuners but I don't see any rush on that, they work fine so far.

It's a very affordable option (check those deals) and folks seem to like both the 000's and the dreads.

• Members
... Small body - because they're comfortable, they don't project as much volume as most other size acoustic guitars, they won't over power your singing voice...

Ah well that's not an issue for me. I need something that is loud enough to compete with my voice :lol: Though, strangely enough, I DO have a small bodied acoustic (Tanglewood Sundance all mahogany) that's my go-to guitar. It's not quite as loud as my Martin but there's not much in it and it has much nicer tone.

• Members
^^ See? Tanglewood is TangleGOOD!

Mine is a wonderful guitar. I went shopping for a new acoustic about a year ago as I wasn't happy with the sound my Martin makes. To be clear, the Martin I have is the cheapest of the USA made Martins so I'm certainly not knocking the brand. I tried a whole bunch (not sure that's the correct collective noun but it'll have to do) of guitars in all of the guitar stores in my area. It wasn't the cheapest guitar I tried but it was considerably cheaper (at around

• Moderators

If you're REALLY Cool, . . . , you play a;

Kalamazoo

I'm really cool and
I
don't play a Kalamazoo!
:)

:phil:

If you can find an early 80's Japanese Sigma/Martin... that is an awesome guitar. If you like Martin type guitars. I was looking for years and then took a chance on an eBay bid and for 220 bucks got a guitar that honestly feels and sounds like 2 grand. I love mine. Old Harmonys, Kays, the Stellas, those are all fun and cool for a funky vibe. I love the tight bass and shimmer of the parlor style Taylors too.

• Members

In my experience it's best to have something that you're not afraid to leave lying around and gets the job done projecting sound in a filthy crowded pub. Built-in pick-up is a must. I like Ibanez's acoustic/electrics.

Here's the thing about guitars - they're popular for the same reason guns are - they look cool and holding one makes you feel like you have an elephant trunk swinging between your legs.

So the number one criteria: You need to feel super awesome whenever you pick it up - and hammering a lazy siz-string G chord should be... satisfying. Like taking-a-leak or cutting-a-juicy steak satisfying.

• Members

For many -- too many, maybe -- years I carried my elderly Gibson LG2 to acoustic gigs but finally decided I just didn't want to risk damaging or losing it. Switched to a nylon string acoustic-electric, an inexpensive Alvarez RC20, and love it for this now. Wish I'd gone with a classical (sort of) long ago.

• Members

Late here. A good guitar is one you are capable of using to complement yourself with. If it can't deliver every sound/mood/volume then you will need to get an additional one to fill in the blanks with. I've seen a lot written in defense of a single guitar filling every need, skills notwithstanding, and I have to disagree. Cedar top over rosewood is going to impart much more warmth into a song (when needed) than spruce over maple ever will, unplugged. Plugged, all wood combinations are equally viable by spinning knobs and pushing sliders. If you sing in a lower range then you won't want a really bass-boomy guitar. It will compete and probably steal some of your vocal clarity. Much depends on you, though, to balance your singing and playing.

• Members

So true.

I have a later model Martin/Sigma that has been set up nicely and plays effortlessly.

If you could play my Goodall? You would never be satisfied with anything less, "ever." So it's best you don't think of this, ever again... I want you to have joy from your instrument. God knows I get a lot of joy from mine? Wait!? Are we talking about the same thing?

Archived