Looking for a decent 50W-150W amp, budget is $500

Dead Star

• Members

So I'm getting into gigging. My 10 year old practice amp has been dead for months now. I'm looking to invest in a new amp for smaller gigs. My budget is going to end up being about $500 or so. The music I play is diverse to say the least. My inspiration comes from everywhere from MUSE to X Japan. I play everything from Indie Electro/House infused rock to grimy 80's speed-metal. I need an amp thats as versatile as my taste in music. So far I've taken interest to some of these amps.

Ibanez TBX150H with Ibanez IS412C cab

Crate FlexWave FW120HS

Marshall MG50FX

Marshall MG100DFX

Any other amps I should take a look at? Thanks for the help.

• Members

{censored} for that you could get a Crate Vintage Club 5212(2x12 combo) and a tube screamerSeriously Crate makes some damn find Marshalleques amps for really low denaros. I have a V50 head I got off ebay for $150 and I love the thing. Its got a serious grind to it that just makes you want to play. Mine was a VFX5212 that was cut doewn into a head and DSP effects board never put back in. Add a another $100 to it and get a brandnew VFX5212 on ebay and it'll come with 2 Tone Tubby speakers.

Or get a VC5212 like I got, and then go get a Ibanez Tube King...one of the newer ones, for $150 on ebay. Man that pedal screams, I just checked on out in Eugene, and if I had the $150, I'd have bought it.

Much more out there than SS nightmares. I am serious, I good tube amp will make you want to play guitar more.

• Members

Well thanks guys for all the help. I went to my local guitar shop and played a Marshall MG100HFX half stack. While it didn't have the warm tube sound that I was really looking for (I don't think I'm gonna get that in my price range) it did sound good. Plus it was $530 and it comes with a free effects pedal. I know this thing gets a lot of hate, but it looks as if I'm leaning toward getting it.

• Members

Ok your a noob here and there not helping ya 2 much so here i go...

STAY AWAY (far AWAY) from that Marshall MG series, that is a POS, no warmth or character in the amp, STAY AWAY!!

If your going all tube - you can try some of these..

a Peavey Ultra head,
a Marshall DSL head,
a Peavey XXX,
a Peavey Valveking
a B-52AT
a Bugera (333XL or 6262) - Just make sure it works fine!
a Carvin Legacy will get you started in the right direction!

:idea:

If your going hybrids (tube and SS) i would try the Vox Valvetronix series - It will EAT UP and SPIT out that Marshall MG POS. Seriously stay away from the MG

Youll thanks me later

:wave:

• Members

Well thanks guys for all the help. I went to my local guitar shop and played a Marshall MG100HFX half stack. While it didn't have the warm tube sound that I was really looking for (I don't think I'm gonna get that in my price range) it did sound good. Plus it was $530 and it comes with a free effects pedal. I know this thing gets a lot of hate, but it looks as if I'm leaning toward getting it.

THEY SUCK. GET A VOX VALVETRONIX or the previously mentioned peaveys

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT50-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=424008

MUCH MUCH, absolutely miles beyond the marshall mg series. They are a great value, I've considered getting one a couple of times (I didn't because there's other amps I'm saving up for already)

• Members

Save up a little more dough and buy one of these,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rivera-R55-112,-55-watts,-Mint-+-Extras-R_W0QQitemZ300336463607QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090807?IMSfp=TL090807155003r22563

this way you won't need to buy another amp for the rest of your life.

(ok maybe I exaggerates, but they are damn good, reliable as hell, and it will have you covered for a long, long, long time.)

(whoa, senior member ..{censored} me. I need to go get a life.)

• Members

In your price range:

Used Peavey 5150
Used Peavey Classic 30 (with a few pedals you can play anything with this amp.)
Used Laney AOR

There are plenty of deals on used gear in our current financial trend. You just have to look.

Archived