Removing epoxy from circuit boards

petejt

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DSC00740.jpg

:wave:

Now this is how it should be done! Very nice work indeed. BTW, another popular use of silicones/ epoxies is for anti-tampering. The idea is that you need to get past the coating to remove a screw or something similar. Some companies will void a warranty for something like that, no excuses.

• Members
Yep, looks like their work. Here's more of it (as is also in one of the earlier posts I contributed to this thread). They really liked to go ape{censored} with that black goop.
:facepalm:

VooDooDoo0034.jpg

In Voodoo's defense I don't think they do the epoxy stuff anymore. My modded amp had clean soldering work with no epoxy

• Members
yeah...

a guy bought an amp, sent it to the modder. modder did his thing, covered the board in epoxy, send it back. then something under the epoxy failed. modder refused to replace the entire board for free, even though it would have been serviceable were it not for the epoxy. owner bought a replacement board from ceriatone or mojo and had to pay a tech to install it.

including the original amp purchase, the dude was about $3K into a stock JCM800.
:facepalm:

The board wasn't his to epoxy to begin with, he was authorized to do the mod only, unless he wants to stipulate that he does this up front. Can you imagine having someone modify your car engine and having them put goop on it that rendered the engine non servicable?

I actually think the guy has a valid case, though pursuing it may not be cost effective in some situations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm 99% positive that Voodoo doesn't epoxy their stuff anymore. I recall Trace talking about that a few years ago.

Correct, we do not use epoxy.

While we did for a short time that was several years ago. We have also rebuilt all the amps we epoxied (free-of-charge). There are three (3) amps remaining and we will also happily rebuild them for free.

Archived