Music Man

JaredVR

• Members

I was checking craigslist and found some good deals. One is a Music man hd 130 for $450. Just curious as to what people's feelings were to this amp. And judging by the pictures it is a 4 10 combo. The other was for a music man 112 rd for $375. I was curious to see what you guys felt about this also. Do they play well, are these good prices, etc? I read reviews on here but wanted to get some straight opinions. Thanks.

• Members

They're kind of "meh". They're good for solid state amps, but not nearly as good (in my opinion) as a tube Fender, even the reissues. But, for the price, it sounds good enough.

They aren't solid state amps, they are hybrids. Solid state preamp with tube power amps. I personally think they sound very good.

edit - always beaten to the punch in my replies!

• Members

The Music Man amps are hugely reliable. Hybrid tube-solid state, the preamp and rectifier are solid state.

The HD 130 (regardless of speaker complement) feels like it's bolted to the floor - it has enormous transformers or something.

I had a RP Fifty 112 a few years ago - I found the sound OK, but wound up trading that amp, a guitar, and some cash for the amp I wanted (but didn't get) as a high school senior - 1969 Fender Super Reverb.

I have since opted for smaller amps in the Deluxe Reverb class that I can carry and load into the trunk of the car without thinking about my next visit to the Chiropracter.

Like Mel said: Go over and try it - you may like it, and the prices certainly are attractive.

• Members

...They're good for solid state amps...

Music Mans are hybrid amps - both tube and solid state. Unlike 99% of hybrid amps which use a tube preamp with a solid-state power amp, Music Mans use a solid-state preamp with a tube power amp.

I have one, and I'm considering selling it because I really don't need a 150 watt 2 x 12 combo amp for bedroom wanking. (My gigging days are long past) It's clean and LOUD. I used it for both guitar and electric organ, and it worked great and was very reliable.

FWIW, the SS preamp circuit uses 4558 op-amps, the same chip used in the TS-808, and it will yield an overdrive sound reminiscent of a tubescreamer as the channel gain is turned up above 5... Mine also has a cool, swirly opto-electronic phaser instead of a tremolo.

Archived