I Played A Marshall JVM410H and Just Don't Get It

GUITKRAZY

• Members

A guy brought in a Marshall JVM410 into the studio and I was anxious to try it out, Given the fact that Satch is now using them on the Chickenfoot tour. It really peaked my interest. I plugged it in and to me it is kind of like a redundant machine. Granted I guess Marshall was trying to cover all of the bases with this amp, making it like a swiss army knife. 4 channels with 3 different gain stages on each channel. The amount of knobs on the front is pretty intimidating. The hi gain stuff to me didn't resemble the old tried and true Marshalls of the day (Plexi, JMP, JCM's) The sound almost seemed too generic and almost processed. I just don't get it I guess. I am old school and like to hear the amps work. I believe too many options on an amp causes the player to get lazy. I mean the fun part is finding the sounds and making due with what you have. I mean players like Hendrix & EVH worked the Amp and guitars to get their sound- pulling the volume back on the guitar to get clean and wide open to rock. Maybe I am just being too scientific?

I am curious what others think about them.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I played the 2-channel this weekend, and liked it much better than the Laboga Alligator I also tried. I thought it was a very good modern take on many vintage and modern Marshall sounds - and considering the european price very good value for money.

• Members

I'm a player of many interests and guitars. One night I'm in a jazz fusion band with my hollow body, next night I'm in a cover band With a LP and strat-style. I need an amp/gear that will do many things. I need the peace of mind to have flexibility on stage, and amp footpedal switching is important to me...even though YES! I still use my guitar controls and technique.

I also love to tweak. What does THIS button do with THIS guitar? How does it react when I do THIS!

I see the value in a simple guitar amp. Just plug in and play. In fact...I fully subscribe to your theory of "get the best out of what you have in front (behind?) you". Which includes something like a JVM...right?

I don't think you're being scientific enough.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I liked the amp for what it was. I have used Marshalls extensively in the past and still own a few. The best Marshall I ever had was /is The Marshall JCM 800 50w. I ran it through my 4x12 greenback cab and I could get the early EVH crunch and everything else. It worked perfectly. I was able to get some good sounds out of the JVM, but I couldn't get the vintage airy crunch. The JVM did great modern though and the clean was pretty impressive. As for The gains I agree I believe the 5150 / 6505 pulled it better. Swiss Army Amps!

• Members

"the tone sounds processed"

Any time you run a sound through a circuit, it's being processed. Every amp processes sound, therefore should sound processed. I suppose your bias against processing may prevent you from processing this information, bro.

• Members

Any time you run a sound through a circuit, it's being processed. Every amp processes sound, therefore should sound processed. I suppose your bias against processing may prevent you from processing this information,
bro

cool_story_bro_tshirt-p23550714947873951

• Members

Really? The JVM210h I tried was very bright compared to other amps I've played. You could dial it out, but it was there.

Not sure on the 210H, as I have the 410H - and I'm going off OD1/Orange as being "my tone" with the gain at about 9-10 o'clock.

The Crunch channel on Orange doesn't have the same level of top end - it needs more, IMO. I have the treble maxed out...I run the resonance and presence at around 1:30/2:00.

I've built a couple of plexi kits, which the values and schematics match up perfectly...only difference being OT's and "age" - but, I have to say that the plexi is a hell of a lot brighter sounding compared to "crunch" on the JVM410H, which the manual says it's designed to sound like...

• Members

Any time you run a sound through a circuit, it's being processed. Every amp processes sound, therefore should sound processed. I suppose your bias against processing may prevent you from processing this information, bro.

he meant digitally "processed"

• Members

The sound almost seemed too generic and almost processed. I just don't get it I guess. I am old school and like to hear the amps work. I believe too many options on an amp causes the player to get lazy. I mean the fun part is finding the sounds and making due with what you have. I mean players like Hendrix & EVH worked the Amp and guitars to get their sound- pulling the volume back on the guitar to get clean and wide open to rock. Maybe I am just being too scientific?

So you're saying a modern voiced hi-gain orientated marshall doesn't sound like a plexi, JMP or a JCM?

Srsly? That's pretty shocking :eek:

:idea:

Please say more things that are obvious, yet bewilder you :love:

• Members

A guy brought in a Marshall JVM410 into the studio and I was anxious to try it out, Given the fact that Satch is now using them on the Chickenfoot tour. It really peaked my interest. I plugged it in and to me it is kind of like a redundant machine. Granted I guess Marshall was trying to cover all of the bases with this amp, making it like a swiss army knife. 4 channels with 3 different gain stages on each channel. The amount of knobs on the front is pretty intimidating. The hi gain stuff to me didn't resemble the old tried and true Marshalls of the day (Plexi, JMP, JCM's) The sound almost seemed too generic and almost processed. I just don't get it I guess. I am old school and like to hear the amps work. I believe too many options on an amp causes the player to get lazy. I mean the fun part is finding the sounds and making due with what you have. I mean players like Hendrix & EVH worked the Amp and guitars to get their sound- pulling the volume back on the guitar to get clean and wide open to rock. Maybe I am just being too scientific?

You should check out my Thread,

I just traded my JVM215C for an Egnater rebel 30.

I understand exactly what you are saying.

• Members

When I said Processed, I meant digitally processed. I mean not knocking the modern Hi gain amps of today, but I believe they try so hard to replicate the sounds of the plexi's or any of the other tube amp mnfr and fail. When you open up a vintage Marshall or Fender amp it is all point to point and easily traceable. Open up a modern and good luck! Boards upon boards of stacked circuitry very difficult to work on let alone mod.

Modern amps have taken the knowledge and tones of yesterday and try to emulate with modern wizardry and in many cases fail. I will say, I played the Marshall haze last week and was really impressed. The purist in me didn't care for the digital effects, but the amp aounded awesome. The Egnators(low watters) are killer amps as well. I like the old less is more approach in getting sounds.

• Members

The Crunch channel on Orange doesn't have the same level of top end - it needs more, IMO. I have the treble maxed out...I run the resonance and presence at around 1:30/2:00.

Holy {censored}:eek:

I run the crunch channel with treble around 2 oclock, and my presence around 9-10 oclock. At those setting I consider it pretty bright, and that's out of a dark cab.

OP...if you are trying to use the higher gain channels for old school tones, you just wont get there. I'm not sure about the 4 channel, as I have the 2, but try playing a crunch channel or green mode and slam it. Maybe even boost it. You'll get some great old school tones that way.

• Members

When I said Processed, I meant digitally processed. I mean not knocking the modern Hi gain amps of today, but I believe they try so hard to replicate the sounds of the plexi's or any of the other tube amp mnfr and fail. When you open up a vintage Marshall or Fender amp it is all point to point and easily traceable. Open up a modern and good luck! Boards upon boards of stacked circuitry very difficult to work on let alone mod.

PTP and being easy to work on/trace != tone.

PCBs != digital processing.

Logic fail.

• Members

Not sure on the 210H, as I have the 410H - and I'm going off OD1/Orange as being "my tone" with the gain at about 9-10 o'clock.

I've built a couple of plexi kits, which the values and schematics match up perfectly...only difference being OT's and "age" - but, I have to say that the plexi is a hell of a lot brighter sounding compared to "crunch" on the JVM410H, which the manual says it's designed to sound like...

Bad tubes perhaps? Or maybe the 210 and 410 aren't as similar as they would seem. Anyway, I had a JCM800 2204 (vertical input) once, which had the bright cap removed, and I loved that thing, so perhaps I like my tone a tad darker.

Archived