I Played A Marshall JVM410H and Just Don't Get It

GUITKRAZY

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hey, I am not at all knocking the JVM, it just wasn't my thing- I like my Budda. To each their own.
:thu:

I agreed with you about the JVM, but I ended up returning my Budda Superdrive 18 1x12 combo.

It had great tone, but I just could not bond with the gain channel.
Too crunchy, not enough smooth distortion.

Also, I did not like the way the 2 channel amp worked, if you were going totally clean and then switched to gain it was out of sync volume wise.
Either too quiet or two loud because of the shared pregain/volume knob.

• Members
I agreed with you about the JVM, but I ended up returning my Budda Superdrive 18 1x12 combo.

It had great tone, but I just could not bond with the gain channel.

Too crunchy, not enough smooth distortion.

Also, I did not like the way the 2 channel amp worked, if you were going totally clean and then switched to gain it was out of sync volume wise.

Either too quiet or two loud because of the shared pregain/volume knob.

:confused:

Both channels have there own gain and volume knobs. I've never had a problem with this.

• Members

Holy {censored}:eek:

I run the crunch channel with treble around 2 oclock, and my presence around 9-10 oclock. At those setting I consider it pretty bright, and that's out of a dark cab.

OP...if you are trying to use the higher gain channels for old school tones, you just wont get there. I'm not sure about the 4 channel, as I have the 2, but try playing a crunch channel or green mode and slam it. Maybe even boost it. You'll get some great old school tones that way.

I'm using G12H-30's in an Avatar 4x12 ?

• Members
Bad tubes perhaps? Or maybe the 210 and 410 aren't as similar as they would seem. Anyway, I had a JCM800 2204 (vertical input) once, which had the bright cap removed, and I loved that thing, so perhaps I like my tone a tad darker.

Not sure with the 210/410 deal - but I'm running some really good, probably some say here, bright, preamp tubes - TungSol's. I've ran others and it's a trend for this amp, and my previous JVM410H. Could be me too though.

I was heavy into Orange for a while, and someone brought over a Mesa Dual Recto - I thought, damn, my Orange sounds muddy and dark as hell! Around that time I started playing drums and I'm using bright (Paiste) cymbals, so maybe that's what's getting me - is that I'm used to hearing a lot of bright sounds now.

Guitar-wise, I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul w/ Seymour Duncan SH-59's...upgraded the pots with RS Guitarworks true-tone kit (CTS Pots, cap, resistors and wiring for tone pot/neck pup)

Probably be too bright with a strat, or a high-output pup'd shred guitar... ;)

• Members

When the JVM first came out I wrote a review stating that the feel of the amp sucked. It felt sterile and solidstate. The gain, while plentiful, is buzzy compared to my QR.

Turns out that the JVM doesn't have a choke. Some people started modding the JVM to add a choke trying to get the feel/tone of earlier Marshalls. $2K for an amp with no choke? LOL.

Of course I got blasted by the fanboys because it was the amp flavor-of-the-month. Ironically, most don't seem to own the amp anymore, even though it was touted as the "ultimate Marshall" and (insert whatever Marshall-like amp brand) killer.

• Members

When the JVM first came out I wrote a review stating that the feel of the amp sucked. It felt sterile and solidstate. The gain, while plentiful, is buzzy compared to my QR.

Turns out that the JVM doesn't have a choke. Some people started modding the JVM to add a choke trying to get the feel/tone of earlier Marshalls. $2K for an amp with no choke? LOL.

Of course I got blasted by the fanboys because it was the amp flavor-of-the-month. Ironically, most don't seem to own the amp anymore, even though it was touted as the "ultimate Marshall" and (insert whatever Marshall-like amp brand) killer.

There still is a lot of love for this amp.

• 10 years later...

I reviewed the JVM 215C combo back in 2013 and I really liked it quite a bit. It's been quite a while (and unfortunately I can't find a link to the review... ) but I thought it was a very versatile amp. The cleans are good IMHO, but they're not quite the same as what you'll get from a Fender Twin... but very nice nonetheless. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been using a 210H since 2014. First off they come biased really cold so that is step one.

2nd at least on the 210 H 

add a negative feedback pot , this really opens the amp up

gain reduction mod and mid shift mod. My JVM sounds nothing like a stock one, everyone that hears  it is amazed it's a JVM

OD1 Orange with the gain at 10:00 negative feedback at 1:00, (stock is at around 8:00) bass dimed , mids 11:00 treble noon lowres/presence off.....nails a 2203

total cost of mods installed by an amp tech? $85.00

I use it in a classic rock cover band and it slays

Archived