post your vox or voxy amps here

panoramic

• Members

yeah dude, I know all about that, the trouble is that the measurements are not the same and the vox showroom will only make cabs to the current vox model specs, hence my pain :(

life is shit like that sometimes. I have followed about 18 leads to deadends on getting a seriously awesome headbox made, the diamond cloth is under heavily restricted liscensing and nobody will order it because of lawsuits.

My best bet is to go locally with a guy i know, he has a pre-fabbed one that he only wants 150 for

• Members

I was thinking about getting some matchless ac15 sounding clone thing as a second voxy amp or cloning an ac10 myself, the 2x10 version

For my own music needs, i definitely prefer the Matchless style for the PSU. I actually also like my amp with a solid state rectifier.

I am into some odd things though, and need some of the voxy elements for the cleans, but a little more stiffness, and a little less flub for the cranked sounds than the "normal" AC30 setup tends to provide.

Modified Vox though, is a great platform to play with IMO. It is really my favorite base circuit that i have used with so far.:love:

-chris

• Members

man i love that grillecloth chris!

what speakers in that thing?

I love it too. It is 60s or 70s Zenith cloth i scavenged from the broken console i built the amp out of originally. I wish anyone still made the cloth. I would buy a whole ton of it if someone did. I really want to do a matching 4x12 in it.

Speakers, are the weak link in my setup these days. What is in there is a korean Sammi speaker. It is kind of like a greenback, but kind of not like anything else too. It works pretty great for recording. It definitely is a bit softer for the cranked amp than i would ever prefer, but i am a bit too broke to do anything about it right now. Actually i am currently running the amp into a beat up old 4x12 cab detuned style, with just two of these Sammis in it. It helps a lot to split between two of them, but, i would still prefer something stiffer/brighter. Hence that question i had for you a while back regarding the EVs!

-chris

• Members

where did you pick up that chassis etc?

I have been looking for an ac10 board and the only one I found is out of production now, which sucks. I wanto pick something up in the 20 watt range, something that can be evil but has the voxy chime

It is totally scavenged from a broken sixties Zenith console. The chassis is from the original stereo amp, that was actually EL84-based originally. It is actually a bit small for what i have crammed in there, and how i had to cram it in around the pre-existing holes and things.

The board, i just did DIY style, G10 and eyelets from Hoffman. It is actually kind of a funky board, it started out being for an 18w Marshall circuit, and i have just been adding eyelets to it whereever i could fit them in to expand the circuit to what it is now. Looks like a disaster kind of inside, but it is an organized sort of chaos, and not messy from bad execution so much as the adaptation to the definitely not-ideal layout that the previous amp's circuits have dictated.

-chris

• Members

It is totally scavenged from a broken sixties Zenith console. The chassis is from the original stereo amp, that was actually EL84-based originally. It is actually a bit small for what i have crammed in there, and how i had to cram it in around the pre-existing holes and things.

The board, i just did DIY style, G10 and eyelets from Hoffman. It is actually kind of a funky board, it started out being for an 18w Marshall circuit, and i have just been adding eyelets to it whereever i could fit them in to expand the circuit to what it is now. Looks like a disaster kind of inside, but it is an organized sort of chaos, and not messy from bad execution so much as the adaptation to the definitely not-ideal layout that the previous amp's circuits have dictated.

-chris

i was thinking of taking a cabridge reverb and just tearing it apart and adding aan ac15 circuit to the innards, you think that would pan out?

Archived