post your vox or voxy amps here

panoramic

• Members

i was thinking of taking a cabridge reverb and just tearing it apart and adding aan ac15 circuit to the innards, you think that would pan out?

If you gots the skills, yeah-you're not talking an old Cambridge reverb??

How about a stripped down AC-10/15?

ef86.>12ax7> pair of Cat. biased EL84s?;)

• Members

i was thinking of taking a cabridge reverb and just tearing it apart and adding aan ac15 circuit to the innards, you think that would pan out?

Ideally if it is your first build, you might not want to start out by working around pre-existing holes and chassis arrangements. I did it, so it is possible, but you could potentially be setting yourself up for all kinds of unexpected difficulties with bad layouts and stuff like that.

There are lots of places that you could get blank chassis from, and also places that you could get pre-made boards from.

http://turretboards.com/ for instance, has a Matchless Lightning turret board. They also sell blank chassis that would do the trick.

Of course, then there is also Weber, Ceriatone, etc. Lots of different places for DIY kits and scratch ampbuilding supplies. Ceriatone for instance has a Matchless Lightning layout that you could use, even if you didn't build from the Ceriatone kit or parts. Which would be a lot simpler than how i did it, which was a lot of reading and drawing everything out from scratch!

-chris

• Members

Oh, and for the record, as outtahear alluded to, a vintage Cambridge Reverb would not be a good choice for a cannibalism project, IMO, at all. EDIT: I type slowly!

A modern Vox Pathfinder 15 SS would be a slightly better choice, if you mainly were looking for the Vox visuals. Though, the chassis is a little bit on the small side for an AC15 or Lightning build. You would also have to upgrade from the stock crappy 8" speaker to a better 10" at least, and lay it out very carefully so that the tubes and transformers would be clear of the bigger speaker magnet assembly.

What is nice about the Pathfinder chassis though, is that it has almost no pre-existing holes in it besides the ones for the controls. :idk:

Still, however, i would suggest a proper from-scratch build for you first go of it, anyhow.

-chris

• 4 weeks later...

Archived