Really LAME songs that just HOOK you?

grace_slick

• Members

My partner's watching an episode of this British TV show, Ashes to Ashes, in the other room and that song...I don't even know what it's called, just came on...I used to think it said Oh Piano, but it doesn't. lol

Anyway, whenever I hear this admittedly rather lame song, I stop in my tracks and get shivers. But WHY!?

What is in these otherwise blah songs that does this to people!? I want whatever it is in some of MY songs. :cool:

PS. I have just been informed the song in question is VIENNA. :facepalm:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

PS. I have just been informed the song in question is VIENNA.
:facepalm:

This one?

[video=youtube;ALVQGm5LgGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVQGm5LgGY&feature=fvsr

I actually bought that album in'81. Knowing it was silly and completely full of itself. Bombastic and pretentious. I love it! :) Sort of a Nessun Dorma for beginners.

Mine is Robyn and her kinky electro pop...

[video=youtube;1zVECruSI3k]

Even worse... Leo Sayer's tune. 70's vanilla 'fro and all. I just think the song is awesome. Embarrasing. I know!

[video=youtube;NsMqb9RQWGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMqb9RQWGE

• Moderators

I'm used to loving "cheesy" songs. (No surprise, right? :)) I have a theory. There are the trappings of cool. Attitude. Social choices. Hairstyle. Or conscious and faddish lack of hairstyle. "See, I don't care about being cool. Aren't I cool."

So, there's all that. Sometimes a very cool, "all that". And we align ourselves with like minded songs, artist, attitudes, etc.

Then there is the song. Not the snare reverb, or the 80's chorus on the guitar, or the 808, or the disco strings or the wallet chain and dirty tee. Just the song. A melody that just grabs us. Something. In spite of all the trappings that we wouldn't typically align with ourselves. "I hate disco, therefore Donna Summer's On the Radio is a {censored}ty song." Well, play it acoustic guitar and find that... man, I wish I wrote that.

So, as music lovers, we compartmentalize. We can still see the hook for the trees.

And I think... that's a good thing.

What I do... I picture a friend playing it on acoustic guitar and saying to me, "Hey, I just wrote this, what do you think?" And then he plays Careless Whisper on just guitar and voices it like Bob D or Paul Westerberg, and no cheesy trappings and you think, "That's {censored}ing GREAT!!!! You wrote that?!? Let's record it." And then we put all the trappings we do align ourselves with. Punk guitar, or Dylanesque moaning or whatever.

Compartmentalizing.

• Members

I'm not sure if this is cheesy, but every once in a while I'll have an urge to play it, and when I do I spend the whole day singing it.

Julia Fordham, "Happy Ever After," 3:60. Too damn catchy.

[video=youtube;Ix97KkVVxng]

LCK

• Members

thing before I post, but the video still doesn't post as a video, just as a text link.

You need to click the thing next to the QUOTE tags that looks like a snip of a film reel. A little box will pop up that says, "Insert Video Clip" and post the link in there.

• Members

I actually bought that album in'81. Knowing it was silly and completely full of itself. Bombastic and pretentious. I love it!
:)
Sort of a Nessun Dorma for beginners.

Ultravox! -- the John Foxx version -- was a really great, forward looking band that was truly out in front of the new music wave of the mid-late 70s. Their first record was co-produced by Brian Eno and Steve Lillywhite. After Foxx took off in '79 and the dreadful Midge Ure replaced him, they might as well have been Flock of Seagulls for all I cared. Of course, their horrible, treacly washed out music was enormously popular and, with Ure behind the mic and at the helm, became just another thoroughly lame band that further degraded the new wave legacy.

Here's some Ultravox! from before they got lame... from the Ha! Ha! Ha! album...

[video=youtube;DtWoQ2uH8Xk]

And the great "Dislocation"...

[video=youtube;Qmny4LSjDgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmny4LSjDgU&playnext=1&list=PLC6FA07739E7544A0

Here's one more early UV! track that really captures what they were about -- and why the much more popular Midge Ure perversion of the band was so disgusting to real Ultravox! fans.

[video=youtube;7l1OX4EnGfU]

• Moderators

thing before I post, but the video still doesn't post as a video, just as a text link.

Are you copying the whole url from your browser's address window? That works for me. It used to be you'd have to just use certain characters, but now, copy the full url and paste into the window that opens by clicking the "Insert Video" icon. Hover over the icons to make sure you using the right one. It's between "Insert Image" and the "Quote" icons.

• Members

You need to click the thing next to the QUOTE tags that looks like a snip of a film reel. A little box will pop up that says, "Insert Video Clip" and post the link in there.

Thanks, Lee, but that's exactly what I've been doing.

It probably has something to do with Mercury being in retrograde and will fix itself in a week or so.

LCK

• Members

True story. A buddy of mine pitched me to play background music type of piano at a swanky party last year... to which I agreed. The party was a fund raiser in conjunction with the PGA tour... Tiger and all the pros were going to be there. And Jon Bon Jovi was playing a solo acoustic set by the poolside. I was all set to do it... met the owners of the house and turns out they wanted a Piano Man type of gig... complete with sing-alongs, which is absolutely NOT me. I went along with it until the night before the party... then chickened out, called a friend of mine and gave him the opportunity of a lifetime. He hung out with Tiger and Jon... not me. :(

No regrets though... wasn't worth the stress.

• Members

I wonder, does "59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" count as lame? 'Cause I've sorta liked it ever since I used to hear it on the MOR station as performed by the probably certifiably lame Sunshine Company. (I wouldn't say that the Simon & G version exactly has edge -- but the Sunshine Co's version was as fluffy but sterile as the linen at a $800 a day hotel.)

I also -- briefly -- had a thing for 5th Dimension's "Age of Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine" -- which I definitely think qualifies. But I found it quite infectious, nonetheless.

• Members

Thanks, Lee, but that's exactly what I've been doing.

It probably has something to do with Mercury being in retrograde and will fix itself in a week or so.

LCK

I'm not sure this could be it -- but there are three basic editor options for this board (on the General Settings of your profile Settings area), Standard Editor, Basic Editor, and Enhanced Interface. I have mine set on the Enhanced WYSIWYG editor and it seems to work fine in Firefox and Chrome (and probably IE, too, but I try never to load that benighted POS unless I'm doing a browser check of a new web page for my day job).

Also, make sure you're clicking the filmstrip icon and not the globe/link icon.

• Moderators

After Foxx took off in '79 and the dreadful Midge Ure replaced him, they might as well have been Flock of Seagulls for all I cared. Of course, their horrible, treacly washed out music was enormously popular and...

;) I think you may be missing the spirit of the thread... ;)

Feelin' Groovy fits... yeah!

• Moderators

I'm not sure this could be it -- but there are three basic editor options for this board (on the General Settings of your profile Settings area), S
tandard Editor, Basic Editor
, and
Enhanced Interface.
I have mine set on the Enhanced WYSIWYG editor and it seems to work fine in Firefox and Chrome (and probably IE, too, but I try never to load that benighted POS unless I'm doing a browser check of a new web page for my day job).

I use IE at work and it works fine with that too...

• Members

B2B, Lee, I tried the enhanced interface thing, and this is what I got

In other words, the screen shows the url surrounded by the bracketed material that should indicate that it'll show up as a YouTube video, but it doesn't. It just shows up as a text link.

Like I said, Mercury is in retrograde...

LCK

• Members

;)
I think you may be missing the spirit of the thread...
;)

Feelin' Groovy fits... yeah!

Knee jerk reaction. Ultravox! was one of my favorite 70s bands. And Ultravox was one of my very least favorite 80s bands.

Try mentioning the Jefferson Airplane in the same sentence as the Starship some time in front of me and see what happens... :D

• Members

In other words, the screen shows the url surrounded by the bracketed material that should indicate that it'll show up as a YouTube video, but it doesn't. It just shows up as a text link.

Like I said, Mercury is in retrograde...

LCK

OK... the tags that show up in your posts are not correct -- the first video tag should also include an equal sign followed by the YT id code. But yours just show up as plain video tags. (Mind you, it doesn't seem to be your 'fault.')

Try quoting someone who has posted a vid (that displays) and take a look at how the code looks in their post.

What happens when I insert a YouTube URL using the Video Insert button (filmstrip icon) is something that looks like your tags -- but once I click submit, the system inserts the extra tag formatting -- which I will see if I click on the edit button.

For some reason, for whatever mysterious reasons, that doesn't appear to be happening for you.

• Members

OK... the tags that show up in your posts are
not
correct -- the first video tag should also include an equal sign followed by the YT id code. But yours just show up as plain video tags.

Try quoting someone who has posted a vid (that displays) and take a look at how the code looks in their post.

For some reason, for whatever mysterious reasons, that doesn't appear to be happening for you.

I see what you mean. With someone else's post I get something like this:

[ video=youtube;DtWoQ2uH8Xk ]

[ /video ]

But me? I get this [ video ]

[ /video ]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not my fault. This kind of thing happens all the time when Mercury goes into retrograde. I used to think that was a load of crap, but after finding that problems with my phone or my computer or TV always seemed to crop up during this astrological thingie, I got used to it.

It is interesting, though, that nobody else's computer seems to be having problems. We'll see what happens after the 23rd, when Mercury goes back to its normal rotation.

LCK

• Members

OH WAIT...I just noticed that your URLs appear to be from a non-US YouTube server -- hence the odd looking youtu.be URL. When I click your URLs, I'm redirected to the typical youtube.com/watch?=blablahblah we see in the States. I suspect that's screwing with the system.

Still, I can't find any info on the youtu.be URL... and it only seems to work if you're going to a specific video. www.youtu.be goes nowhere.

Where are you finding these URLs, anyhow? You are in the US, aren't you?

• Members

OH WAIT...
I just noticed that your URLs appear to be from a non-US YouTube server -- hence the odd looking youtu.be URL. When I click your URLs, I'm redirected to the typical youtube.com/watch?=blablahblah we see in the States. I suspect that's screwing with the system.

There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about that. I go to YouTube, just like anyone else, I imagine, find what I'm looking for, and go through the proper motions. If what you're saying is correct (and I'm pretty sure it is), why would I be directed to a non-United States server?

Mysteries abound, but the Dude abides.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334064[/ATTACH]

LCK

Another mystery. The photo of Jeff Bridges that I uploaded/downloaded, shows up as an actual photo on my computer screen while I composed this message, but when I posted it, it showed up as a text link only. Yeesh...

• Moderators

Perfect^^^ I've been taunted by friends when I used to sing this while intoxicated. I get KNOCKED DOWWWNN Pissing the night away... I was politely asked, "Uh, don't sing that." It's stupid, it's catchy as hell, and... it's stupid. I love it.

Archived