Really LAME songs that just HOOK you?

grace_slick

• Members

LCK

Another mystery. The photo of Jeff Bridges that I uploaded/downloaded, shows up as an actual photo on my computer screen while I composed this message, but when I posted it, it showed up as a text link only. Yeesh...

OK... that one (the image thing) I got the answer on. You're using the upload option. If it was a link to an image already on the web, you could just cut to the chase and type in the [ img ] url [ / img ] tags. (Without spaces, of course.) [FWIW, when I quote your page, the image shows up in the editor, too. So, you're not crazy. You just need different tags.] (More below...)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This song is only cheesy when played in a bar, and people start singing along. For something that comes on the radio, while you're driving, it's pretty damn cool (for about 2:45)...

LCK

• Members

[attach]334065[/attach]

Yeah... the 'image' above (it's a link) was uploaded using the image upload option and there doesn't appear to be a way to get it to display in the post. And if you click the editor mode button (upper right corner) to move to basic editor, you just see the attachment number -- so you can't wrap img tags around it like you could with an image hosted elsewhere that you had the URL for.

Amusingly (or frustratingly, depending), when you mouse over the displayed image while in edit mode, you see a pencil and that allows you to edit formatting options -- but, of course, none of them will actually display the image when the post goes to display mode. :D

Stranger still, if you click the image icon a second time, it reverts to the classic img tag which must be wrapped around an existing image URL. Bizarre.

• Members

I know I'm not crazy. My computer isn't operating properly. It's supposed to do the tags for me.

It could be a virus, I suppose. I guess I'll have to run a virus check.

LCK

I seriously doubt it's a virus. (You might have malware -- but it would be very unlikely for it to manifest in this fashion.)

So, let me get this straight -- you go to Youtube.com and grab a video URL from the address bar of your browser -- where it looks like your typical YT URL...

... with the standard youtube.com core domain URL...

But then you paste that into the dialog box that pops up after you click the filmstrip icon where it then turns into that odd youtu.be domain?

• Members

I seriously doubt it's a virus. (You might
have
malware -- but it would be
very
unlikely for it to manifest in this fashion.)

So, let me get this straight -- you go to Youtube.com and grab a video URL from the address bar of your browser -- where it looks like your typical YT URL...

... with the standard
youtube.com
core domain URL...

But then you paste that into the dialog box that pops up after you click the filmstrip icon where it
then
turns into that odd
youtu.be
domain?

No, the link I'm getting from YouTube is exactly what you're seeing on the screen. There is no = sign and whatever follows that.

LCK

• Members

No, the link I'm getting from YouTube is exactly what you're seeing on the screen. There is no = sign and whatever follows that.

LCK

Sroll down to the bottom of your youtube page. What does it have as your location?

• Members

Okey... so let me get this straight...

You go to Youtube.com, look up a vid, say,

-- but then you go up to the address bar (assuming you have it displaying in your browser) and what you see is actually this --
?

I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that you're not actually using the URL from the address bar -- which should have the typical full URL -- but clicking the SHARE button, which gives you that oddly shortened

URL -- and that won't work with this BB's YouTube/video tagging.

So, use the actual URL of the page you're visiting. (It's possible you have your browser set up to not display the URL/address bar, so you might want to check your browser settings.)

YouTubeURLsForHC.jpg

• Members

Sroll down to the bottom of your youtube page. What does it have as your location?

Scroll down to the bottom? Huh? There's nothing down there with URL info that I've ever seen.

Just their basic corporate/site link menu (Advertising, Safety, Privacy, etc).

Is it possible you're referring to a specific browser's so-called 'status' bar? (Typically defaulted to off, and maybe not even available in many browsers at this point; seems to have disappeared in FireFox 4, for instance.) I don't recall ever seeing the current URL in a status bar, but in older versions of Firefox and IE, there was a status bar option that showed the actual URL of any links you hovered over. (FF4 now seems to float the hovered-over URL at the bottom of the browser window over the page.)

• Members

Scroll down to the bottom? Huh? There's nothing down there with URL info that I've ever seen.

Just their basic corporate/site link menu (Advertising, Safety, Privacy, etc).

Is it possible you're referring to a specific browser's so-called 'status' bar? (Typically defaulted to off, and maybe not even available in many browsers at this point; seems to have disappeared in FireFox 4, for instance.) I don't recall ever seeing the current URL in a status bar, but in older versions of Firefox and IE, there was a status bar option that showed the actual URL of any links you hovered over. (FF4 now seems to float the hovered-over URL at the bottom of the browser window over the page.)

On mine at the bottom it says "location: Worldwide". At one point a couple years ago it had me set as being in the UK. I thought a similar mistake might have happened to Lee.

• Members

JUST USE THE FILM STRIP ICON ON THE FONT TOOLBAR.

Yeah, thanks. We're past that. That's what I've been doing.

Let's see if this works.

I'm trying the url in the address bar, instead of the share button (which, I swear, used to work, dammit!).

Anyway, this is a real guilty pleasure. So guilty I almost hate to admit I kinda like it. But when I was a DJ, this was the only Olivia Newton John song I could stand to have on the speakers while it was playing.

"Please, Mister, please. Don't play B-17..."

LCK

Huh. Well, that seems to have worked just fine. Thanks Blue!

• Members

"Please, Mister, please. Don't play B-17..."

LCK

Huh. Well, that seems to have worked just fine. Thanks Blue!

I can go on to my eternal reward, now, knowing I've done one good deed. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if it used to work, to be sure. The old board version was different and then they've been tinkering with this one. These huge BB software packages have all kinds of configuration switches behind the scenes for the admins (that's not me, I'm a lowly volunteer mod).

Also -- far more often than this board changing -- YouTube itself is constantly changing how they do business, and while they tend to maintain some backwards compatibility with old link formats, they keep introducing new stuff -- including, apparently, this new, 'ultra-short' URL format that they now have 'behind' the share button.

This, today, was the first I ever noticed that (the ultra-short share URL) -- and I deal with YT and embedding their vids pretty frequently.

• Members

I also -- briefly -- had a thing for 5th Dimension's "Age of Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine" -- which I definitely think qualifies. But I found it quite infectious, nonetheless.

^^ Ooh, that's another song I love even though I'm aware its merits are questionable at best. lol

• Members

I love even though I'm aware its merits are questionable at best. lol

No, that's a great song. Seriously. The melodic and harmonic construction of that tune is first rate. It's designed to bring a jaded Broadway audience to its feet, and it does the trick every time.

LCK

• Members

My mom's seen Hair, like, 3 or 4 times. And she's... not a teenager.

I've never seen it on stage or on the screen. I like the old musicals. ;) (OK, I definitely liked Cabaret, Chicago, and All That Jazz, but they certainly have deep roots in traditional musicals.)

Also, having been a hippie/boho/punk, I find that, while Hair was a tiny bit more clued in than, say, Rent ( :rolleyes: ), it still struck me as an incredibly phony piece of plastic hippie nonsense.

But agreed with LCK that "Aquarius/Sun Shine" is a definite crowd pleaser. And still a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, I suppose, although I don't think I've heard it more than once in the last couple of decades.

• Members

Friday? lol... for some reason, although it's lame, badly written, and badly composed, it seems to grab people's attention real well.

Probably because it's the "worst" song ever and we've never heard anything so blasphemous in music.

• Members

Here's one that I found myself getting suckered into because it was simply... so shameless. Added bonus: it really, really annoyed my hipster pals and my GF.

I mean, it's got almost every rock song hook cliche you can think of, spoken parts, sound effects, including sirens, gunfire, a clock ticking (that carries the beat, no less), a tom break, backwards reverb percussion, downbeat hand claps, soul clapping, musical quotations, a narrative, a surprise ending, and, of course, a whole lotta singalong choruses.

• Members

I try not to be a music snob. Generally if something is catchy and has a good hook, I gotta give it some respect. That goes for the Lady Gaga, Britney stuff and all that. The current top-40 doesn't really bother me--at least rap doesn't dominate like it once did, and we're back to real melodies. That isn't to say that rap doesn't have merit--just that I find little in it that interests me. I'm a fan of melody.

I'm not a huge mainstream country fan, but I find it's definitely the go-to music these days for anyone interested in songcraft. Many of the songs are actually quite clever and can really pack a punch.

• Members
It was almost 20 seconds before I realized it was the song and not a pre-song advert
! The whistling
...I mean, I have a couple Scorpions records from the early or mid 70s... what a difference a few years (and some personnel changes, yeah?) make... wowie zowie.
:D

I think for 80s rock to work, you had to be a teenager.
;)

Oh god, yes. 80s music is generally on a whole other (lower down) level to most other GOOD music

• Moderators

From the pretty crappy movie Country Strong. Worse than pretty crappy, actually. Paltrow surprises with some pipes. And yeah, I know, it's modern country of the worst kind yadda blah blah auto tune crap {censored} lame.... and that Gwyneth chick sucks and Coldplay bites a big one...

Not an ounce of innovation. It echoes melodies from past pop hits. It sucks.

I know. It is lame. I wish I wrote it.

Archived