Serena Williams DQ'd from US Open

murdock

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Alright...the line judge was ASKED by the chair umpire what was said to the line judge. She didn't go running to the umpire unasked. She did not tell the umpire that SW said she was going to "kill her" SW misunderstood what was being discussed. She did say something to the effect of "shoving the raquet or ball down her throat" with about 3-4 "F" bombs. So....she had it coming, just happened to be at match point. Sucks for her, but she chose to go at that line judge at least 2-3 different times.

• Members

watched it on youtube.
It looked clear to me that her foot was on the line.
Still, do you make that call at a time like that, unless it is blatant? Don't know. I never liked the idea of swallowing your whistle at crunch time in any sport.
If its a violation in first quarter/set, etc, it should be at crunch time too,
IMO.

This.

• Members

As a couple of other posters have pointed out, SW was NOT DQ'ed. She was assessed a point penalty on match point. Her fault.

Her foot did touch the line. It was a good call. I was watching the match, KC was actually outplaying SW as well. That was a big part of the reason that

SW was so frustrated. She had no reason to go after the line judge like that.

She got what she deserved... Big match? Yep. Big point? Check. Bad judgement and sportsmanship on SW's part? Yep.

• Members
As a couple of other posters have pointed out, SW was NOT DQ'ed. She was assessed a point penalty on match point. Her fault.

Her foot did touch the line. It was a good call. I was watching the match, KC was actually outplaying SW as well. That was a big part of the reason that

SW was so frustrated. She had no reason to go after the line judge like that.

She got what she deserved... Big match? Yep. Big point? Check. Bad judgement and sportsmanship on SW's part? Yep.

Hey Riff! Good to see ya again!

As usual, you cut right to the heart. No bull{censored} no excuses.

Part of being an athlete, and being a "professional" i show you handle adversity. Do you accept the situation and move to the next play? Or do you point at and intimidate the authority. Not saying you shouldn't question or hold responsibility. Tennis has a tradition of bullying officials....but even still....that was clearly bad behavior and poor sportsmanship. Petty and whiny.

Man up :rolleyes::lol: and control your own destiny with your performance.

Archived