Do you have a "love it/hate it" amp?

tidalwaveGB

• Members

I love and hate my Classic 30. I have upgraded the speaker and tubes, which improved things somewhat, but I still struggle with whether I should keep it. At the moment, I have it for sale on CL, for $300, but there have been no interested buyers yet.

I am selling it because I mainly only use it for practice and recording in my apartment, and think a lower wattage amp with a more modern sounding lead channel would benefit me more. Thus, I have been scoping the Blackstar HT-5 combo as a replacement. I have heard plenty of impressive clips, and there appears to be mostly love for these in the forums and reviews I have checked out. So, the Classic 30 is on the chopping block, in order to help fund my next amp purchase.

Being that my amp hasn't sold yet, I have spent some time with it, and have discovered that I am really having a love/hate relationship with the thing. A few days ago, I figured that I disliked the Classic 30 enough that I might as well let go of it. The lead channel is lacking the bite and crunch that I need to play convincing sounding metal riffs- it just sounds mushy to me, if that makes sense.

If I throw my OD-3 in front of it, crank the level, keep gain low and max out the tone knob, I get a fantastic tone that fits my needs and style. The only problem is that I cannot keep this amp a low, apartment-friendly volume- its either loud or almost no sound at all. In a band, I'm sure it would work really nice, but I already have another amp to handle those duties. I need an at-home amp, and the Classic 30 is not cut out for this.

I understand that the Classic 30 was not designed for my needs, although I really do like the clean channel. It also sounds much better with an EQ in the loop, and some compression. This leads to another issue: it needs pedals to sound its best.

Sometimes I just wish I had a portable amp I could plug straight into, and have it sound great at lower volumes (i.e. for practice, and no need for pedals). The Classic 30 has turned out to not be this type of amp at all.

So, in short....

LOVE: Clean tones. Sounds great when pushed past breakup, and supplemented with an overdrive (same thing goes for the lead channel). Its been reliable for the most part, besides replacing tubes yearly. Its a fairly small amp, yet it can easily hold its own with a drummer and bass player. Definitely a great amp for playing clubs and other small-to-medium sized venues. I should also mention that it sounds even better when being pushed through a 4X12 cab.

HATE: The amp is really lacking in the tone department at lower (conversation-level) volumes. The drive channel is pretty uninspiring, unless pushed with an overdrive. There is no standby switch, and it runs pretty hot. Its an open back amp, which takes away from low-end definition. It needs an OD pedal, and EQ and compressor to sound its best (to my ears, at least).

Ok, enough bitching on my part.

What is your "love/hate relationship" amp? Is there an amp that you often find yourself wanting to get rid of, but then end up keeping (for one reason or another)?

• Members

What don't you like about the Recto?

Not tight enough. No sweet spot. Either not enough gain or too much. Mushy. Saggy. Horrendous leads. Cookie cutter sound.

Most of all, I hate it for making me play Chevelle style riffs when I jam on one.

• Members
I hate how my VTM sounds by itself in the room.

I love how it sounds on tape and in a band mix.

I've sold two already, and I'm not going to sell the one I have now.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about my Triumph. Playing by myself, my HT-Dual rapes the tone I get from the Triumph's crunch channel.

Then I decided to record with the Triumph on a whim.
It records fabulously, and sits so perfectly well in the mix.

Oh, and are you sure you don't want to sell your VTM? I accept returns :poke: :lol:

• Members

My Legacy is very much love/hate. It really depends on my mood. I love the clean channel and the lead channel is great for LEADS lol Rhythm is hit or miss a lot of the time. I'm thinking of getting a parametric eq like a Furman PQ3 to shape the toan for rhythm.

Oh and the Reverb just broke!!!! :facepalm:

• Members

The Red and Green channels on my Recto...

The green channel sound sweet and fenderish sometimes, other times it sounds so weak and lame.

Sometime the Red channel sounds PERFECT other times it sounds a fizzy. However, I love how it sits in the mix. Its yet to disappoint live.

The orange channel however, i just LOVE. I've found such good settings for it, imo. Its just... wonderful. In the mix and when its just me

Archived