OT: Gas Station Ambush :freak:

mcr23

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any idea what Octane means? The higher the octane the *more* resistant to detonation. It is an often misunderstood term that some think means that the fuel will provide more "power". The only reason for a higher octane is to prevent pre-detonation in high compression engines.

To say that fuel sucks based on the octane is kind of meaningless, it has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel. What matters is using the correct octane fuel for the engine. If the engine needs 93 Octane using anything higher is senseless and provides *no* advantage.

• Members

Wow dude, a Corvette gets better mileage than that. That car sucks.

The part in bold is the biggest part of fail in this story, but I liked the story.

Dunno about the Shell only part but 93 octane makes perfect sense if hes running 14.7lbs of boost.

Any engine with a greater than 14:1 compression ratio would benefit from higher octane gas. high compression engines run into pre-igntition problems with lower octane gas.

That being said, there aint a whole lot on the road nowadays thats running that high of a compression ration today. the WRX is an obvious exception :cop:

Edit: Referring to the Shall only 93 octane gas quote that didn't get put into the original quote. My posting skillz FTL :(

• Members
Your sti will still get like 15-17...even if you drive like a total jackass.

Just wait until you do a downpipe and get a tune. Wanna talk about environmental friendly? Im running catless on my wrx
:lol:

word up. i'm running catless in my mazdaspeed.

18mpg holla.

• Members

That's a good point about the prius. I don't think I would ever like to be in an accident with one. I mean why would you want to bring in the added element of danger with battery acid?

On top of that, a diesel focus slays the prius in fuel economy!

Anytime we deal with a hybrid vehicle that has been involved in a traffic collision we have to have it towed to a dealership to have them inspect the batteries. It is a pain in the ass.

But hey, at least they get an extra 10 miles per gallon, right?

• Members

Anytime we deal with a hybrid vehicle that has been involved in a traffic collision we have to have it towed to a dealership to have them inspect the batteries. It is a pain in the ass.

But hey, at least they get an extra 10 miles per gallon, right?

Yea, and then when that battery dies after 10 years they are gonna need a new one. Estimated cost you ask? I've been hearing around $5,000. Sounds like a great deal to me:rolleyes:

• Members
The {censored}ing Toyota Prius actually leaves a larger carbon footprint over its lifetime than a Hummer due to all the nasty {censored} involved in making its batteries.

:facepalm:

like those stupid coil light bulbs. have fun with mercury content in those dip{censored}s.

• Members

The octane content is kinda meaningless.

I mean, USA car batteries put out 13.3v whilst euro ones are 12.1v.

And octane content does make a difference, the amount of difference depends of course on the car! Eg it's hardly worth running 98 Shell Optimax on a clapped out 20 year old fiesta, similarly running supermarket brand 95 RON in a Mitusbishi Evo isn't going to give you a great performance experience.

Archived