Friday Influences Thread 12-30-11!!!!

Lee Knight

• Members

Agreed - Endless Sleep is a classic.

I also have it on a Blues Project album circa 1970. Here are a couple of other folky tracks from the album.

Love The Blues Project, esp. Danny Kalb and Steve Katz.

This instrumental was a staple at nearly every radio station I worked at in the 60s and 70s.

It was used as a bed for radio commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciQ94iQyVQc

LCK

• Members

I posted a lyric last week with the title "Please Go With Him." I went on iTunes, as I often do, and found out that there's a song with a similar title, "Anna (Go to Him"), written and recorded by Arthur Alexander, and covered by the Beatles, with John doing the vocal. Both recordings are terrific.

LCK

• Members

What a great thread to start the New Year! I'd intended to comment on Lee Knight's posting of Rosalind Russell's original film musical take, on Sondheim's "SOME PEOPLE." My wife just walked in as I was watching Lee's next posting on Holst's Planets with its Jupiter-centric video. I loved Lee's lead-in recollection -- every word of that reminiscence about the night he was introduced to that influential music. [i too thought of John (Star Wars) Williams' best work as I listened in awe -- through my Sennheiser earphones (next best thing to a high-end stereo).]

"Listen to this," I said to my wife, and let her hear the final two or three minutes -- before we head out to Mass at St. Bernadette's near our home.

My Irene was transported: "Oh me, oh my!" she said. "What a preparation for church. It's like . . . God."

I am instructed to "Tell Lee how much this meant to me."

And thanks again, Lee for your beautifully-written anecdote. You conveyed so much in so few words. Nice 'economy of style' (something I'm seldom accused-of).

• Members

Yeah, the bass player/flautist from The Blues Project was a member of Seatrain. He recycled that little flute tune of his from one of the 1960s LPs into a minor AM radio hit for Seatrain in the 1970s.

And by the way, the musician I'm referring to -- Andy Kupferberg (or something like that) -- was a phenomenal bassist. Listen to his playing on the tracks OGP uploaded, or any Blues Project track.

He's what I would call a monster bass player...

LCK

• Members

Next Coverfest in GJ is "Songs of the 80's". I learned the solo for this a while ago, thinking of dusting it off and recording a version.

Squeeze have also gotten on the re-recording/mechanical royalties bandwagon. Not sure how I feel about it; I have no particular love for recording labels, but I find the prospect of great songwriters going into the studio to do note for note covers of their classic songs to be somewhat depressing. (This may also be why I stopped going to dinosaur rock concerts).

• Moderators

That's cool. And that is the acoustic guitar setup I want. A small, dark Martin or Gibson, and LR Baggs pickup... nice. Her sound is cool. I've spent all my time on bass in bands. One of these days I'm going to actually be the guitar playing in a group. Like her^

• Moderators

Squeeze...

I hear the song often enough, as I still an avid Squeeze fan, but the video... I have not seen that in a while. The sight of Jules pushing his upright piano through London is perfect. Brings back some memories of that time. Oh... and yes, great solo. Great approach to a solo. He basically wrote a mini song inside a song. I love it.

• Members

I hear the song often enough, as I still an avid Squeeze fan, but the video... I have not seen
that
in a while. The sight of Jules pushing his upright piano through London is perfect. Brings back some memories of that time. Oh... and
yes,
great solo. Great approach to a solo. He basically wrote a mini song inside a song. I love it.

Yeah, he blows over the changes, which I always appreciate. IIRC the single note section of the solo is all E pentatonic and then the little bit at the end is just arpeggios from the underlying chord progression. You need a super clean tone from the amp; no compression and a quick decay so you can get definition on all of the notes. The hardest part is the tempo; the whole song is around 160BPM which is a lot faster than I usually play.

• Members

I was watching
Daddy Long Legs
, the 1955 Fred Astaire/Leslie Caron vehicle and fell in love with the slow, drawn out anticipation in the stars' reading of Johnny Mercer's "Something's Gotta Give."

Here's Mercer himself, from a mid-70s BBC special, singing his own tune (he wrote words & music).

I finally found out how implacable is supposed to be pronounced! (Ihm - play - cuh -bull.)

LCK

• Moderators

Couple of soundtracks over the long weekend were inspring...

Trent Reznor's score for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. His remake of The Immigrant Song starts things off nicely. The Viking thing works, ha! Then... the North Swedish icescapes get appropriately creepy and tense Fragile-like treatment. Good stuff. And having read the trilogy and seen the Swedish movies, the US version does a fantastic job. I was surprised. And relieved. (wrong forum, sorry)

The Chemical Brothers treat ice and snow and desert sand for that matter... and violence in a similar matter but lean heavier on the violence and ratcheted up over the top noise, once the blood starts letting...

Cool soundtrack action!

• Members

A friend 'deep in the heart of Texas' -- one of those 'advisors to captains of industry' (and a top reviewer at the world's biggest website) sent me an email over Christmas. Just back at work after 11 days off, I opened the mail to find this one -- arranged by the business school at the "other" U of M around here (Minnesota, not Manitoba). In case you still have a little spirit of the season left over. Cheers!

http://www.carlsonschool.umn.edu/holiday11/

Archived