So what can expect from the Duncan Invader?

JnBroadbent

• Members

i could've sworn i just saw this thread like a week ago. must've taken the delorean to work again:eek:

I was thinking the same thing....

But I had one in the bridge of my old RG and that thing was insane. Always had to turn down the gain on my mesa Stiletto Deuce one or two notches compared to my LP due to how much that thing put out.

• Members

I have one in a Carvin V220 which is a maple neck through with alder body wings. The invader is very thick and great for crushing metal riffs in the Carvin. The Carvin is somewhat bright and works well with the invader. I imagine it may not go well with certain guitars.

• Members

It's a great, thick pickup, with some solid, super smooth lead tones with the right settings.

That said, it's those things in the right guitar, which tends to be very 'strat like'. In something like a Les Paul or traditionally 'thick and warm' guitars, you run the risk of overdosing on fat tones, and may end up a little muddy.

Had one in a maple necked, Swamp Ash ESP Horizon... sounded awesome.

• Members

Yeah I posted about this same thing in about this same thread a week or so ago... but...

I had one in an all-maple Hamer Californian and it sounded pretty good there, but that guitar was one BRIGHT sonofabitch. Even there it was a little mushy for my tastes. Just too much output IMO. It certainly can get very heavy, but it sacrifices a lot of clarity and definition and detail in the process... whereas other pickups like the Distortion or Painkiller etc can get brutal as {censored} without that sacrifice. And I would DEFINITELY not put it in a dark-sounding guitar; your tone will turn to mush. Just my $0.02, YMMV. If you get it I hope ya dig it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have one in a Carvin V220 which is a maple neck through with alder body wings. The invader is very thick and great for crushing metal riffs in the Carvin. The Carvin is somewhat bright and works well with the invader. I imagine it may not go well with certain guitars.

thats my setup exactly

• Members

I think the invader is a better version of the dimarzio distortion. They sound very similar to me but the invader has more attack to it. They work great in a tight sounding metal amp but I have used them in a fender amp with awesome results too. I love the cleans too. I don't understand when some bag on it.

For heavy down tunings, like C# or something, it is not that great. To thick for that.

Archived