Why do many straight edge/drug free people drink mass amounts of energy drinks?

LA-Ü-RA

• Members

Coffee, tea & water, mostly water is all i drink, BTW i've been in AA 9 years, have dozens of friends in the program and none of them drink that "energy" crap.

Sounds like your friends could be "cross-addicting" one drink for another if it's a problem for them.
:snax:

Congrats! Yeah, I worry when I see "recovered" folks sucking that shit down.

• Members

Yeah. We were at a Christian show at a church last night and there were young folks wearing "Straight Edge" sweatshirts and what not. All they sold for beverages was Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Water and 2 types of Monster and a bunch of the kids were drinking that crap.

So true!

Congrats! Yeah, I worry when I see "recovered" folks sucking that shit down.

What does "Straight Edge" mean/refer to?:confused:

• Members

I'm fine if you're straight edge or whatever the {censored} you wanna label it just as long as you don't act all 'holier than thou' and try to shove it down other people's throats.

That's the point of being a straight edger brah. Duh. Have you know any that don't bitch at you if you smoke a doob or drink a beer? I sure as {censored} haven't.

• Members

I used to drink beer. I actually never really liked the taste of it that much, but I liked drinking it to get hammered when going out/partying.

But I always hated the headaches and feeling sick the next day, so I cut alcohol:cop:

and nowadays I don't party or go out much anymore anyway:o

• Members

Have you know any that don't bitch at you if you smoke a doob or drink a beer? I sure as fuck haven't.

I'm edge, and I don't. People have to be respectful to each other regardless of what you are/do. If someone blows smoke in my face, or spills beer on me on purpose then there's probably going to be a problem. If it's accidental then oh well, oops? ALL people who claim edge aren't ignorant assholes like most people think. :thu:

As for energy drinks. They are terrible. Bad taste. Bad smell. Bad for your body.

• Members

funny though-- a lot of the straight edgers i knew from times past are some of the most egregious stoners nowadays!

:lol: Same here. The straightedge kids turned into massive stoners, especially if they were Christian.

I ran into one at the Zombie Walk on Halloween that I hadn't seen in what, ten years? (Though some friends of mine had kept in contact so I'd heard what he was up to secondhand) and it took a while of us talking to others before we recognized each other. What a trip. Probably, in hindsight looking back at the people I've known, exactly the people (we move in very different subcultural circles) you'd have guessed we'd turn into, but we didn't know it at the time.

My ex was a huge drug abuser for years. When we first met, we ate booze and pills like nobody's business. She did tons of meth and coke. A couple years later we were hardcore vegans, no booze or smokes in the house, didn't even drink coffee. It's a personality thing, very much. The amount of liquor I've consumed in the past couple years since we parted ways is absurd.

I understand there's generally underlying psychological issues that bring people like us to do these things, but quite frankly the straightedgers became a lot more tolerable when they turned into scruffy Phish-listening pot-smoking stoners, 'cause they weren't so goddamn uptight. Granted that's not at all my crowd- my friends are the Goth Girls and Artfags who sit around in coffee shops talking about books and go out and drink a lot :lol: but there's an inherent Us vs. Them douchebaggery to that sort of ascetic extremity that's exceptionally grating.

• Members

Never had a drink or a cigarette or anything... Yet, I detest the label "straight edge".

Good point, i'm just a dude thats tired of being in jail, prison and instituitons, cause that where i end up everytime i do booze or drugs.:thu:

If you were to tell me if i cut-off my arm i could drink & play like the other boyz & girlz, you'd be looking at a one arm man.

• Members

As for energy drinks. They are terrible. Bad taste. Bad smell. Bad for your body.

This. I drink horrendous amounts of caffiene in a day and the one and only time ive had to drink a Red Bull (i was driving home getting sleepy and mt dew wasnt keeping me awake) was horrrible. I dont know what else is in it but i was almost vibrating and nervous. Its not the caffiene, its whatever else is in it.

Also i read an article awhile back where they were taking energy drinks out of school vending machines because kids starting going to the school nurse feeling "odd" and it turned out that their resting heart rates were near 200bpm from drinking up to 10 of these a day at school.

Archived