Do you have a favorite key, chord change/progression, or chord?

New Trail

• Members

I see my songs fall into a number of patterns (particularly when I notate them in Nashville or Roman, which makes it so much more obvious). Sometimes that concerns me but when I'm writing a song, I try not to get in the way of the songwriting. There's plenty of time to play with different approaches later. But when the muses are in the air, I like to get as much down as fast as I can. The more I work/re-work something in the first session with a song, the less likely there's going to be a spark of real inspiration.

• Members

Cmaj7 to C#dim7 to D-7 to G7sus4 to CMaj7.

Gotta find a new one.

LCK

Show-off. ;) Just kidding. I love your stuff and wish I could internalize jazz progressions well enough that they would come out of me spontaneously.

If I'm not careful, everything I write ends up in D mixolydian. At least I think that's what it is - chords from the key of G major, but with D as the tonal center.

• Moderators

I tend to get pulled toward a standard diatonic foundation. Little melodic motives centered around the 3rd or the 5th. And I catch myself being so boring and... and start trying to inject a little flavor without it turning into a mental exercise. So the trick for me is to put on my theory hat for a second then take it off and then musically emote again. So consciously move away from the stock, unconsciously.

If you know what I mean.

• Members

Show-off.
;)
I wish I could internalize jazz progressions well enough that they would come out of me spontaneously.

Ah, but except for that really cliche progression I mentioned, they don't flow spontaneously out of me.

Oddly enough, when I'm stuck I don't look to Gershwin or Kern or Porter for inspiration, I look to a guy who grew up in Hawthorne, CA, and who used to write surf songs and car songs for a living.

LCK

• Members

It depends if playing piano or guitar, the same chords can have quite a different vibe. I try to force myself out my comfort zone by using trickier keys sometimes. Transposing a song to a different key can really change the feel of the whole thing. I do use inverted and suspended chords a lot for some extra magic. I seem to use e and b minors quite often.

Archived