started

There's probably another way to say both of them, but I think
guide
is probably the perfect word for that line. I'm not as attached to
written
over
started

LCK

Yeh "guide" is a better word.... but i just thought it was soooooooooo overly used.... im not against it...just trying to avoid

and "written" is also a better word.... but not entirely correct.... as the song wasnt written long ago... i suppose you could say it was written into family history

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I understand about "guide." There are probably a number of alternatives.

"Coax me to the shore?" "Welcome me to shore?" "Steer me to the shore?"

Guide still works best, I think.

LCK

• Moderators

It's a beauty.

"to carry me to shore" how about thinking of the light as a life saving magnet:

to pull me toward the shore

----

"Im lonesome where (maybe when?) I eat
this meal for two is wasted on me"

I absolutely love where I eat. Because, it says more than just the fact of eating alone, the place you might choose to eat says a lot too. You know that guy in the diner, not reading, staring into his eggs, alone. So the "where" created a picture in my mind. Anytime you can inspire someone to elaborate with their imagination, that's a powerful thing. "Where".

• Members

It's a beauty.

"to carry me to shore"
how about thinking of the light as a life saving magnet:

to pull me toward the shore

----

"Im lonesome where (maybe when?) I eat

this meal for two is wasted on me"

I absolutely
love
where I eat. Because, it says more than just the fact of eating alone, the place you might choose to eat says a lot too. You know that guy in the diner, not reading, staring into his eggs, alone. So the "where" created a picture in my mind. Anytime you can inspire someone to elaborate with their imagination, that's a powerful thing. "Where".

I like the idea behind it but its one syllabal too long

"to pull me in to shore" would fit but does a lighthouse do that?

i know that "guide" is the correct word.... and i guess i will go with it if we can't come up with something else

• Moderators

I love the distant light of salvation from loneliness in this:

The curse it has been lifted
the blessing is a gift
that only the lonely know
BUT no matter how i try
i can't ignore this lullaby
that was started long ago (maybe "written" instead of "started" but i dunno.... it was "written" now but the tale "started" long ago)

I think it was written long ago. It wasn't written now, because, just like a movie, there is no movie, you're suspending disbelief and saying to yourself, this is real. An in this song, your listeners aren't hearing a song, they're lost in the reality of it. Go with that. It was written long ago. You just living it, not writing about it, to the listener.

I might suggest putting a BUT in this line to add just a little bit of clarity to the qualification you're making. "All is well BUT... I still hear that tune. I could still fall again. It never really goes away".

• Members

I love the distant light of salvation from loneliness in this:

the blessing is a gift

BUT no matter how i try

that was started long ago (maybe "written" instead of "started" but i dunno.... it was "written" now but the tale "started" long ago)

I think it
was
written long ago. It wasn't written now, because, just like a movie, there is no movie, you're suspending disbelief and saying to yourself, this is real. An in this song, your listeners aren't hearing a song, they're lost in the reality of it. Go with that. It was written long ago. You just living it, not writing about it, to the listener.

I might suggest putting a BUT in this line to add just a little bit of clarity to the qualification you're making. "All is well BUT... I still hear that tune. I could still fall again. It never really goes away".

good catch - will add that - thank you!

• Moderators

I like the idea behind it but its one syllabal too long

"to pull me in to shore" would fit but does a lighthouse do that?

i know that "guide" is the correct word.... and i guess i will go with it if we can't come up with something else

That's your call if a lighthouse does that or not. I think it suggests him needing some sort of coaxing. So seeing a light through the fog, you can ignore it and drown as some do. They're that gone. Or, it can catch your attention and you say to yourself... Damn it, enough! I'm going in.

But it's great anyway you go. as far as teh syllable count, I heard like this:

to(1) car(2)-ry(3) me(4) to(5) shore(6)"

to(1) pull(2) me(3) t'ward(4) the(5) shore(6)

• Members

That's your call if a lighthouse does that or not. I think it suggests him needing some sort of coaxing. So seeing a light through the fog, you can ignore it and drown as some do. They're that gone. Or, it can catch your attention and you say to yourself... Damn it, enough! I'm going in.

But it's great anyway you go. as far as teh syllable count, I heard like this:

to(1) car(2)-ry(3) me(4) to(5) shore(6)"

to(1) pull(2) me(3) t'ward(4) the(5) shore(6)

ahhh t'ward

makes sense.... will have a think on that - i do like the line .... i did want to steer clear of guide.

thank you!

• Members

the blessing is a gift

no matter how i try

When you say "the curse it has been lifted" it seemed to suggest a sense of permanency. I was expecting your tune to change from one of hopelessness to hopefulness but it remained a tragedy. So maybe you could make that line a little less definitive and simply say: This curse it might be lifted

Other than that, really, really good work! I always prefer your songs when you "sing" them as opposed to "speaking" them if you catch my meaning? Looking forward to the final version. Free download possibly? ;)

• Members

When you say "the curse it has been lifted" it seemed to suggest a sense of permanency. I was expecting your tune to change from one of hopelessness to hopefulness but it remained a tragedy. So maybe you could make that line a little less definitive and simply say: This curse it might be lifted

Other than that, really, really good work! I always prefer your songs when you "sing" them as opposed to "speaking" them if you catch my meaning? Looking forward to the final version. Free download possibly?
;)

hmm interesting... the idea was ...as the song develops.... the person realises that it isnt such a bad thing to be alone.... not completely bad at least.

you just have to choose your path and realise that the curse isnt actually a curse and could well be a blessing... referring back to the longer life

You may be right though

others thoughts on this?

• Moderators

hmm interesting... the idea was ...as the song develops.... the person realizes that it isnt such a bad thing to be alone.... not completely bad at least.

you just have to choose your path and realise that the curse isnt actually a curse and could well be a blessing... referring back to the longer life

You may be right though

others thoughts on this?

I agree with him. It is a little cloudy. To say, "the curse has been lifted" is to suggest you're out of it. Done, all better now. That's the past. In simple terms that means you're not alone. I guess you're saying I may be alone now abut I'm not lonely. But that nuance gets lost as our minds default to "Oh... I guess he's not alone anymore"

BTW, this did occur to me earlier but felt I shouldn't pick, I wasn't confident I was right. But, I'm glad Ontological did because I had those thoughts as well and this suggests there's something to it.

The curse I know has shifted now

I see it as a gift

But no matter how i try

that was written long ago

• Members

I agree with him. It is a little cloudy. To say, "the curse has been lifted" is to suggest you're out of it. Done, all better now. That's the past. In simple terms that means you're not alone. I guess you're saying I may be alone now abut I'm not
lonely.
But that nuance gets lost as our minds default to "Oh... I guess he's not alone anymore"

BTW, this did occur to me earlier but felt I shouldn't pick, I wasn't confident I was right. But, I'm glad Ontological did because I had those thoughts as well and this suggests there's something to it.

The curse I know has shifted now

I see it as a gift

But
no matter how i try

that was written long ago

Perfect - im gonna do a direct lift on that .... you cheque is in the post

thanks both of you

• Moderators

Im to and fro-ing here

i did quite like the "more of a blessing than a curse" analogy in the original write

hmmmmm

For what it's worth, though the direct message of the middle 8 was a tad unclear to me, its feel and sound really spoke. For me, it doesn't quite add up, and for me, it doesn't quite all that much matter. It's great as is and makes me feel something. But if your goal is to have a direct sense or logic to that portion of the lyric, for me... it's not quite adding up.

• Members

I'm struggling a little with

curse it seems.... there is a lot of "S's" in there

does this make sense to you?

the curse is now repressing

i can see it as a blessing

i reckon i could pull of the S's version.... just gotta be careful with delivery

Archived