Best Rock Amp for under $800 used

surfrockbmxer1

• Members

I play in a rock original/cover band playing styles anywhere ranging from Fuel, Silverchair, Metallica, Matchbox 20, Breaking Benjamin and so on. I'm looking for the best amp head in the $800 range used. I'm currently considering the Peavey JSX, Mesa Single Rectifier, Genz Benz El Diablo, soldano hot rod. Any other suggestions?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Our lead guitarist plays a Marshall JCM. It sounds great but i was looking for a different tone to blend with him. Does the DSL sound very similiar? My concern about the single rectifier is having only 50 watts. Will it get loud enough for bigger venues and is the clean channel any good? We spend about 30% of our 4 hour sets playing in clean.

• Members

A 50 watt head will be plenty loud. As far as the Single Rectifier's clean channel. I think it sounds pretty damn good, but that is my opinion, others might not like it as much. As far as your band mate playing a JCM, you could dial the DSL to sound different, but it will be very similar. The Single Rectifier and the JCM should have a very good balance between the two. I always wanted to get a Dual Rectifier to play in stereo with my DSL, I think that would be an absolutely killer setup.

Cole

• Members

Is there a huge sound difference between the single and dual rectifiers? Worth saving up the extra money? I think you guys are starting to make me learn toward the single rectifier over the jsx.

The main differences between the Single and the Dual are the wattage (50 vs. 100) and the fact that the Single doesn't actually use rectifier tubes. This is the reason that the Single is considered tighter than both the Dual and the Triple. The rectifier tubes create more sag thus leaving the amp to be looser. I believe the Single just uses a resistor in place of the actual rectifier tubes.

Someone correct if I am wrong about the rectifier section of these amps.

Cole

Archived