Best Rock Amp for under $800 used

surfrockbmxer1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I play in a rock original/cover band playing styles anywhere ranging from Fuel, Silverchair, Metallica, Matchbox 20, Breaking Benjamin and so on. I'm looking for the best amp head in the $800 range used. I'm currently considering the Peavey JSX, Mesa Single Rectifier, Genz Benz El Diablo, soldano hot rod. Any other suggestions?

Maybe single or dual. They go for amazing prices used now, so look for them.

The dual gives you the rectifier tubes which for me makes the amp totally worth it.

• Members

The main differences between the Single and the Dual are the wattage (50 vs. 100) and the fact that the Single doesn't actually use rectifier tubes. This is the reason that the Single is considered tighter than both the Dual and the Triple. The rectifier tubes create more sag thus leaving the amp to be looser. I believe the Single just uses a resistor in place of the actual rectifier tubes.

Someone correct if I am wrong about the rectifier section of these amps.

Cole

No you are right. It depends on the user what they prefer. I love the recto tubes so I am a dual user. However, you can also use the ss rectifier like on the single recto with the Dual recto.

Honestly I think you get more for your money used now with the Dual recto's.

• Members

This is a really good thread - n00b has sincere questions, asks them well, gets good answers from wide range of forumites, no flaming, no BS.

I'm not trying to derail it! Just noting - it's something unusual in HCAF. Good on the OP and all those who gave great informative answers.

All those guys are too busy over in the other noob thread

• Members

The main differences between the Single and the Dual are the wattage (50 vs. 100) and the fact that the Single doesn't actually use rectifier tubes. This is the reason that the Single is considered tighter than both the Dual and the Triple. The rectifier tubes create more sag thus leaving the amp to be looser. I believe the Single just uses a resistor in place of the actual rectifier tubes.

Someone correct if I am wrong about the rectifier section of these amps.

Cole

The single uses solid state diodes for rectification instead of diode tubes, not resistors. You have the option for SS diode rectification with either single/dual/triple. The latter two have the option for tube rectification through 2 or 3 rectifier tubes respectively.

• Members

The single uses solid state diodes for rectification instead of diode tubes, not resistors. You have the option for SS diode rectification with either single/dual/triple. The latter two have the option for tube rectification through 2 or 3 rectifier tubes respectively.

Cool, thanks for that information! I remember when I first started getting into tube amps and being a complete newbie, I thought that the Single Rectifier was a hoax compared to the Dual and Triple. I say this because I didn't realize at the time that there were solid state rectifiers, and to not have a tube rectifier was false adverstisement. :facepalm: Fortunately I have learned more about amps and how they function by coming on this forum.

Gone are the days when I had to have the 150 watt tube amp :facepalm:, and now more often than not I wish my DSL100 was a DSL50. Darn tubes cost soo much. I feel bad for those who have to retube a KT88 amp.

Sorry for going off on a tangent. Thanks again Kayman :thu:

Cole

• Members

How similiar do all the mesa's sound? I've heard a dual and triple rectifier before and i think they're great. Although, i've never heard a single rectifier, a mark III, or a dc-5.

Anything in the rectifier line well, sounds like a rectifier. The single does sound different though.

The mark is its own series. Those you are going to have a hard time finding for that price range.

I don't know much about the DC-5

• Members

How similiar do all the mesa's sound? I've heard a dual and triple rectifier before and i think they're great. Although, i've never heard a single rectifier, a mark III, or a dc-5.

The Mark series have a different sound and fell than the Recto's. The rectifiers are all similar in sound and feel but they do have variations from model to model as well as generations. My old 2 channel was better than any of the newer 3 channels I've played and the Tremoverb is IMO the best of them all. The Mark series amps are much more focused and have a much different feel and tone. They're not as loose feeling or saturated as the Rectifiers and are voiced with more mids.

The Recto's and Marks really don't overlap. They're pretty much the opposite ends of the Mesa spectrum. Sort of in the middle is the DC series. They're voiced a bit different than a Mark. More modern like a recto, but not as scooped. They're not a focused which means they're a bit easier to play, but they're not at all flubby like Rectifiers can be.

Here's a quick tone test of my DC I did with my crappy little Canon still camera. It's not bad sounding but the amp is much more dynamic in the room. The camera compresses it quite a bit and Youtube compresses it even more.

Here's the DC-5

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Here's the Mark V

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've seen Mrak 3's in Seattle's & Portland's craigslist a couple times this year for under $700...rare, but it happens.
:thu:

It seems like every time I run across a deal like that I never have the money. But then when I'm all ready to purchase something fancy and new, I can't find those kinds of deals for miles :facepalm:

• Members

Single Rectifier, plenty of volume, tones of tones, great clean. If you get the combo and a cab you can switch between the open back and the cab or both for different sounds. I like the open back c90 for cleans, and I use a closed back 2x12 with Vintage 30's or both for everything else.

• Members

I've seen the occasional Engl go for that price. I've definitely seen the Thunder and Fireball in that range. I think I've seen a Blackmore at that price, too, but it may have been a little more.

Other than that, a Carvin V3 would work. A few people have mentioned the Legacy and X100B. The V3 has as good a clean channel as those, and way better high gain for the Metallica stuff.

Archived