Amp With Your Favorite High-Mid Voiced Crunch?

Mr Lucky Pants

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am pretty much all about hot rod Marshall tones. Love the Splawn.

Also very fond of the 6505+.

I see all these folks forking out $3-4k for boutique amps but its funny to me that some of the best tones ever recorded are hot rodded Marshalls...listen to the new Fear Factory album..Marshall tone...

Soldano is the hot rodded Marshall tone, so are Splawns. Both amps are tits :love:

That amp in this video ....:thu::love::love:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for checking out my Cameron Jose Modded Marshall clip. The amp is nothing short of killer.

The clip I posted has a little more of a vintage sound to it. On the back of the amp, there is a resonance and "Q" knob that increases the bass and adds a resistor to the presence to make the tone a little darker. The trick with this is to engage the "Q" to make the amp darker, then crank up the presence up on the front of the amp. Now the amp turns into super saturation, but is still tight and playable.

It also can do low gain as as well...:thu:

• Members
Thanks for checking out my Cameron Jose Modded Marshall clip. The amp is nothing short of killer.

The clip I posted has a little more of a vintage sound to it. On the back of the amp, there is a resonance and "Q" knob that increases the bass and adds a resistor to the presence to make the tone a little darker. The trick with this is to engage the "Q" to make the amp darker, then crank up the presence up on the front of the amp. Now the amp turns into super saturation, but is still tight and playable.

It also can do low gain as as well...
:thu:

Do all of the Cameron "Jose" Marshalls sound like that or do they all sound different? Is the Jose a specific mod that is done to different amps or is the "Jose" a specific Modded Marshall model? And which Marshall model is the one in that video?

• Members
Do all of the Cameron "Jose" Marshalls sound like that or do they all sound different? Is the Jose a specific mod that is done to different amps or is the "Jose" a specific Modded Marshall model? And which Marshall model is the one in that video?

All of Cameron's amps have a certain "tone" within them. I have played a few Cameron Jose' modded amps and mine by far is the best sounding one I have heard. Like Khoifish321 said....his sounds like it, which I am sure is true. :thu: The funny thing is that it is only 50 watts and sounds as big as my 100 watt amps. :thu:

My amp is a High Gain / Low Gain version. The low gain basically doesnt have the diode clipping engaged. Pull the volume pot and it engages the Jose master and gives gobs of thick gain.

• Members
All of Cameron's amps have a certain "tone" within them. I have played a few Cameron Jose' modded amps and mine by far is the best sounding one I have heard. Like Khoifish321 said....his sounds like it, which I am sure is true.
The funny thing is that it is only 50 watts and sounds as big as my 100 watt amps.

My amp is a High Gain / Low Gain version. The low gain basically doesnt have the diode clipping engaged. Pull the volume pot and it engages the Jose master and gives gobs of thick gain.

So the Cameron Jose mod uses diodes. He basically uses a stomp box in the amp.

I was wondering why my old JCM800 2204 with a Maxon OD-808 sounded the exact same...:poke:

• Members
All of Cameron's amps have a certain "tone" within them. I have played a few Cameron Jose' modded amps and mine by far is the best sounding one I have heard. Like Khoifish321 said....his sounds like it, which I am sure is true.
The funny thing is that it is only 50 watts and sounds as big as my 100 watt amps.

No, my question was what are the mods? Do they go to a specific amp (for example a JCM 800) or are they done to whatever amp you want? I don't really know anything about Cameron or other Marshall hot-rodders.

I've been searching and couldn't find out a basic overview of the different mods and what they do or how they sound: Jose, Aldrich, Ocean and etc.

I don't own a Marshall (my rig is a Diezel), but I might be willing to buy an old JCM 800 or something to have someone mod it if I can learn more about which mod does what. For example, that clip that was posted of your Cameron Marshall is a Jose mod, but of what amp and what exactly was done to it?

I hear that Mark Cameron no longer mods amps (I don't even know if he is still building his own line of amps, but I don't want to get into that can of worms right now). So, where would I go to have a Marshall mod'ed to sound like your Jose? Fortin, FJA, etc. ???

• Members

Send it to Jeff Snider of Snider Amps. Little known guy in San Diego, but he knows his way around amps. But I will warn you, I doubt he will go adding extra gain stages and stuff. He just does a few changes with resistors and caps, cleans up the amp and lets you rock it.

Most legendary tones come from stomp boxes of any variety into MV or non-MV Marshalls with tons of volume.

That is all there is to it.

• Members

Send it to Jeff Snider of Snider Amps. Little known guy in San Diego, but he knows his way around amps. But I will warn you, I doubt he will go adding extra gain stages and stuff. He just does a few changes with resistors and caps, cleans up the amp and lets you rock it.

Most legendary tones come from stomp boxes of any variety into MV or non-MV Marshalls with tons of volume.

That is all there is to it.

I'm not looking for "legendary tone" or trying to emulate somebody else's tone. I don't play EVH type of music...

• Members

FYI, from what I've heard, the Voodoo Jose mod is NOTHING like the Cameron Jose mod. Cameron's Jose mod isn't the normal Jose Arredondo mod.

That being said, The Fortin Cali mod is extremely close to the Cameron Jose. From all the clips I've heard, I want one even though I have a Cameron Jose :eek:

Archived