Good solid state amp for gigging?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

What are some good solid states for gigging? Playing classic rock, hard rock, and early metal.

And before someone tells me to go tube, I agree tubes sound better than solid state. I want a solid state because:

1. Costs less $.

2. More durable.

3. 99% of the people in the crowd won't be able to tell the difference between a good solid state and a good tube amp.

• Members

Another vote for an 80's Randall RG type. I fired up my old RG80 head yesterday after many moons and it still has the goods. Very reliable amps that are dirt cheap.

If your looking for just powerful clean tones and are going to outboard your FX's then a PV Special 130 would get my vote as well. Reliable amps, very cheap and are loud as {censored}.

• Members

The Peavey Bandits are great amps for what they go for used.

Both are pretty good amps. Those Roland cubes are pretty sweet.

I know I'm going to get killed for this, but I used to have a Line 6 Flextone, and it was great - I just couldn't get past the feel of a solid state amp.

I would check out the Flextone or the Vetta. :thu:

• Members

Line 6 Spider 75 Mark IV. Very loud, relatively lightweight, inexpensive, all kinds of amp models and effects, updatable through the (optional) footswitch USB port. I gig with mine, usually using a ES-335 like you have, and it's worked fine. Same audience reaction as when I used my Mesa Mark IV (as you predict, in my experience audiences generally pay no attention to the nuances of tone, and couldn't care less what you're playing through, or even if you're going direct into the PA via an effects pedal). The only negatives about this amp are: 1) the lack of a proper line out. If you use the line out it does have, it cuts off the internal speaker, so you can no longer monitor yourself from the amp itself, and 2) no external speaker jack. For under $300, though, it's a nice solution.

• Members

What are some good solid states for gigging? Playing classic rock, hard rock, and early metal.

And before someone tells me to go tube, I agree tubes sound better than solid state. I want a solid state because:

1. Costs less $.

2. More durable.

3. 99% of the people in the crowd won't be able to tell the difference between a good solid state and a good tube amp.

Marshall, Marshall, Marshall. I have tube, but I also have a Marshall MG 1-12" amp and also two MG100 watt half stacks.

I LOVE all three amps. The small may sound even better by a little ways for some reason, but the big boys are VERY loud and and sound fabulous clean and they do a darn good Marshall sound on the dirty side.

I can't recommend these amps highly enough.

I have a JCM800 and yes, I prefer it, but I can't say enough good stuff about the solid state.

And they're cheap. $600 for a half stack still, I believe.

• Members

Solid State for live use eh?

Only two solutions I would even consider.

1. Peavey Vypyr 75 with a Sanpera II pedal. (The latest software has almost all of the bugs fixed, V1.58.

2. Roland JC-120 with pedals.

3. If it's for Metal, the Ampeg VH-140C or Crate equivilent (forgot the model #). Also, check out the newer Randall's.

That's IT for solid state amps with good tones imho.

Archived