you know what? Firefox is becoming a piece of crap

guitarbilly74

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep...Firefox is becoming another piece of bloatware. It's sad really...it used to be a great browser. Now it's slow and uses over 300 MB of ram at times...that's ridiculous.

The best alternative is Chrome
. Why boycott Google? Do you never use Google search either? And why did they ban you from AdSense?

Chrome really is the best browser out at the moment. There is only ONE thing that bugs me about it, and that is that if you zoom in on a web page (which I do with almost every page because I have an extremely high resolution screen), it doesn't remember your zoom settings once you leave the page. Firefox does remember the setting. So every time you visit that page, you have to zoom in again. That gets really annoying after a while. If that isn't something you care about, then trust me...download it now and don't look back.

Thanks man. I had no idea about Google Chrome. I've been using firefox for years now and recently have been getting frustrated with it's boot times and memory usage. Always seems like it gives me problems whenever I'm on the web. Just downloaded chrome and am giving it a spin now. So far I really like it. Simplistic just like I like, nice features, fast. The simpler the better in my eyes. Really digging this.

• Members

Thanks man. I had no idea about Google Chrome. I've been using firefox for years now and recently have been getting frustrated with it's boot times and memory usage. Always seems like it gives me problems whenever I'm on the web. Just downloaded chrome and am giving it a spin now. So far I really like it. Simplistic just like I like, nice features, fast. The simpler the better in my eyes. Really digging this.

Yep it's a minimalist's dream come true. That's exactly why I love it. So clean and uncluttered. It also loads pages about twice as fast as FF and runs javascript much more efficiently.

• Members

If I wanted a Chrome-esque browser I'd use SRWare Iron. Still using FF though because AdBlockPlus and NoScript are unmatched in any other browser that I've tried. It's using 91MB of RAM right now, and if it were at 300MB it still wouldn't bother me. I'm all about lightweight software, but my PC has 4GB of RAM, using 10% of that for a web browser doesn't bother me.

• Members

I use both Chrome and Firefox on and off and really can't tell the difference when I'm in one versus the other these days.

I don't really view Firefox as all that bloated if you use the right add-ons and don't go nuts. I love that I've essentially removed everything but content from my browser without any trouble with add-ons and No Script and Adblock, though available for Chrome, both clearly changed my internet experience more than anything since AJAX.

• Members

I use both Chrome and Firefox on and off and really can't tell the difference when I'm in one versus the other these days.

I don't really view Firefox as all that bloated if you use the right add-ons and don't go nuts. I love that I've essentially removed everything but content from my browser without any trouble with add-ons and No Script and Adblock, though available for Chrome, both clearly changed my internet experience more than anything since AJAX.

I have a really fast machine and can tell a big difference in speed between the two. I don't use any addons for Firefox BTW. I refuse to use ad blockers. Ads are what keeps the free web sites you enjoy visiting (like this one) going. Blocking ads is just wrong. Digg.com is literally being destroyed by it's own members because of this.

• Members
I have a really fast machine and can tell a big difference in speed between the two. I don't use any addons for Firefox BTW.

I think NoScript is blocking some of the speed differences. When you're blocking anything from loading up that's extraneous like that, the speed is really the same. Chrome is a bit faster on some of the Google stuff because of the heavy use of javascript, but nothing that even causes me to pause. I think Chrome is better at handling a page with a ton of stuff being thrown at the browser at once but I rarely visit those pages and when I do, I either have half the stuff blocked from running or all of it. Makes for a far better internet :D.

If you're not using add-ons you're missing out on all the fun. Tiny Menu Bar, Fission, Omnibar, No Script, AdBlock... all essential to Firefox IMO.

• Members
I think NoScript is blocking some of the speed differences. When you're blocking anything from loading up that's extraneous like that, the speed is really the same. Chrome is a bit faster on some of the Google stuff because of the heavy use of javascript, but nothing that even causes me to pause. I think Chrome is better at handling a page with a ton of stuff being thrown at the browser at once but I rarely visit those pages and when I do, I either have half the stuff blocked from running or all of it. Makes for a far better internet
:D

If you're not using add-ons you're missing out on all the fun. Tiny Menu Bar, Fission, Omnibar, No Script, AdBlock... all essential to Firefox IMO.

Edited my post to explain why I don't use ad blockers.

• Members

Edited my post to explain why I don't use ad blockers.

I don't block a lot of major ads, I use it more to block obtrusive elements. For instance, I don't block AdSense but I do block anything that's flash based, etc.

That being said, I've been using the internet daily for probably 15 years and I can't say that I've ever intentionally clicked on an online advertisement, ever. So whether I'm seeing them or not isn't really making a difference since almost all ads are pay per click.

• Members

I've noticed FF hiccuping, stalling, farting and {censored}ting constantly these days. I'm ready to switch again myself and I've been a dedicated user for about 6-7 years now. Safari and Opera now work faster and more smoothly than FF. I'll have to try Chrome... {censored}! I've got OSX 10.4 :mad:

• Members

I'm still using FF2 because I hate the predictive address bar :o

I know you can turn it off in Firefox 3 now but it doesn't work the same as FF2. I have it set to not remember history or anything, but when I type in addresses it keeps those in the address bar til I close the window to end the session. Keeps it looking clean having a "fresh" browser every session and I don't get caught with teh pronz :cop:

Archived