Lenny's Opus

LeonardScaper

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardScaper

View Post

Lenny goes live tonight...finally. Think we'll be doing some rockin' blue stuff. If I'm not back by daybreak it will be because I have ascended bodily into rock and roll heaven.cool.gif

You're gonna do great. Have fun and remember to smile. smile.gif

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Uh, for some reason I can't access "Fly", but "Blind" was such an awesome piece, I wish I could hear it.. It says it's unavailable..

MUSICALLY, I think of someone crawling out of a dark body of water by a waterfall, in some shadowy tropical forest, and slowly coming back to life from some sort of coma. Might sound strange, but maybe that's what you were hoping for, Lenny.. :p

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by grace_slick

View Post

Hmm, that's interesting. Some people think when someone's in a coma they're unable to move or respond to outside stimuli, but internally, in their minds, everything is ticking over...and at a much deeper level than when they're conscious. That could apply here.

Hmmm, sounds plausible, since the person's basically driven within themselves IF they're conscious at all, despite not being able to move or respond..

• Members

Ok, finally listened. It feels very laid back and cruisy to me. The harmonies, the style of singing, which is very pleasing to my ears, and the overall guitar sound. Laid back. I like it. It feels like the character has decided what he needs to do already and that it was that former indecision that was causing him the most difficulty, and now he's decided, a weight has been lifted. Although maybe it's not so simple.

• Members

Thanks for listening. I've been working on the next movement, which may not end it.

Here is the entire opus to date.....

Return To Cliff's Edge

The coma thing is interesting. I am still considering the fact that he never left the cliff's edge in the first place and he will come back and see himself standing there.......maybe.

Here's a minute or so of the next piece.....cool.gif

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

• Members

I'm still hearing too much similarity in the first 2.5 movements. facepalm.gif

In all seriousness, if I were playing this on a CD, I would definitely skip past "bottom" and perhaps even turn the whole thing off under the assumption that it all sounded the same. Probably the former, considering how much I like "Blind", but the risk with the latter isn't insignificant.

I also think you miss an opportunity to take the interlude between those two somewhere really unique at 4:11. The same theme from "B/B" arrives then when, to my ears, the tune wanted to enter totally new ground.

I know you are deadset on having that ordering, but melodically it really feels like the third movement wants to be inserted there instead. Or perhaps "Bottom" extracted entirely. Makes me think of how the Beatles wrote "Her Majesty" to be in the long, continuous second half of "Abbey Road" but it just seemed to interrupt the flow, so they tacked it on at the end instead.

You might also do some serious compression on the vocals from 2:50-3:30 to give it that opening to "Wish You Were Here" feel. I just think that would sound cool and give it more identity.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LeonardScaper View Post
Ah, yes...Cliff's Edge. That actually was the first name I gave this movement and perhaps I should go back to that.

You see, somehow from the beginning of this odyssey I have envisioned Cliff's Edge as a place. It has been an important point that has only thus far been alluded to. I think he has been there....perhaps somehow his journey even started there. I think it did. He may have been contemplating the worst as he looked out over that long drop to the sea....perhaps that's even where he was in the first song.

And now I want to have him come back there from the opposite direction as a changed and redeemed human. There he finds what he has been seeking. But....has he really been to the bottom of the sea? Is he really flying? Is he really even doing all of this? Or is it all....metaphysical indeed? Did I do too much LSD in college?

Perhaps he never left the spot on the cliff where he was first standing and this mysterious person finds him there having gone through all of this in his mind.

So....I need to introduce 'Cliff's Edge' now so that the listener will ask the very questions that you have....and then I need to answer those questions right away in the next movement...which may well be the last. If that is the case then I do have a piece of work in front of me if I am to tie all of this together.

And, yeah....that 'slice to the surface' line just never sounds right, which is why I stuck those other vocals in there in the enclosed updated version.....to distract you.

In think I'll leave it for now and start thinking of the next piece. I have always thought that after all of these pieces are tracked that I would be able to go back and re-track the vocals in one extended session after studying them for subtle ways to bind them together. It might be good to do that to have all of the vocals sound more similar. Going to take that most excellent lyric compilation and update it to use for reference.

Lenny goes live tonight...finally. Think we'll be doing some rockin' blue stuff. If I'm not back by daybreak it will be because I have ascended bodily into rock and roll heaven.cool.gif

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
thumb.gif

The idea of them starting on the cliff and returning is cool. Having him be on the spot and never having left is also a good one, then again I was always fond of LSD too.

One theme I'm noticing is where he is focused. He is on a cliffs edge looking into the sea contemplating hitting bottom, maybe he was there for a suicide, but he has a realization. He starts to see things in a new way, his focus changes from the bottom to flying, maybe this is some positive he can still do. Hmmmm.

He is still physically in the same spot, but mentally changing his perspective is the difference in sinking and soaring. Nice work.

Look forward to seeing how you wrap it up.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Oswlek View Post
I know you are deadset on having that ordering, but melodically it really feels like the third movement wants to be inserted there instead.
Well....truth is I'm not dead set any anything really. I am pleased with how the story flows like it is but it is very important to me that a musical flow is achieved that keeps the listener involved. I think we should not take anything off the table with regards to arrangement. Once all the pieces have been composed and tracked it will be time to make some serious decisions with regard to order.

And I am also not against tossing 'Bottom' completely. In some ways it doesn't quite fit. Perhaps it can be shortened into an interlude. I invite all of you to take a strong look at this issue. Does 'Bottom' belong?

I can easily track some other small interludes if it feels right.wave.gif

Quote Originally Posted by rhino55 View Post
One theme I'm noticing is where he is focused. He is on a cliffs edge looking into the sea contemplating hitting bottom, maybe he was there for a suicide, but he has a realization. He starts to see things in a new way, his focus changes from the bottom to flying
Yes....I'm really starting to feel this thing where he has actually been standing at the cliff's edge all this time. Perhaps she is standing behind him all this time as well....or maybe observing from a distance. I have changed the title of the piece to 'Return To Cliff's Edge'.....for now, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
How the heck do you find the latest version of all the pieces in one place?

confused.gif
Love to hear your take on some of this.wave.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
By the way, how did your gig go?
It was really just a long freewheeling jam session with a drummer and a harp player. The drummer was channeling Keith Moon, I think....he was all over the kit and wild yet spot on.. The whole thing was absolutely amazing.....I played loud chordal rhythms until my fingers were bleeding.cool.gif

It was....cathartic.

I deeply appreciate the time you have all invested in this project.cool.gifwave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LeonardScaper View Post
Yes....I'm really starting to feel this thing where he has actually been standing at the cliff's edge all this time. Perhaps she is standing behind him all this time as well....
So maybe the title of the final movement is "Push". icon_lol.gif Just kidding, of course.

It sounds like your jam session was a blast. Hopefully that gave your creative energy a boost.

Regarding "Bottom," I do think it is the weakest song in the bunch, but I would not axe it. For me, the transition piece between "Blind" and "Bottom" alleviates any concerns I had about the similarity of music. I sort of view those three as one big piece anyway.

When you get around to thinking about the final order of things, I do think "Rise" should come before "Fly." But that comment is based solely on the subject matter; I haven't really thought about whether they would work musically in that order.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
So maybe the title of the final movement is "Push". icon_lol.gif
Wait....have you met my ex??cool.gif

Seriously, though......the thing about that song ('Bottom') is that it contains important plot information. The problem with it, for me, is that heavy guitar. I really wanted that kind of sound for serious contrast but I just don't do that very well.facepalm.gif

It has a cool transition from the song before it too. I'm strongly considering finding a way to make it very short to maintain its impact but lessen its blow...so to speak.

And I do like the idea of switching those other two around. Think I'll give it a try.wave.gif

Ah....just realized that I already made that switch and it works quite well.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Oswlek View Post
Click the blue "Return to Cliff's Edge" in Len's post.
So that's here? http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
That has everything?

When I go here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=540680
I see Rise, Cliff's Edge, and Blind, and everything Leonardo has done from the beginning of time. How does it fit together? I really don't want to surf through 9 pages.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
So that's here? http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
That has everything?

When I go here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=540680
I see Rise, Cliff's Edge, and Blind, and everything Leonardo has done from the beginning of time. How does it fit together? I really don't want to surf through 9 pages.
Yes, your first link is the entire opus.

• Members
Regarding "Bottom," I do think it is the weakest song in the bunch, but I would not axe it. For me, the transition piece between "Blind" and "Bottom" alleviates any concerns I had about the similarity of music. I sort of view those three as one big piece anyway.
I can't disagree more. The transition piece doesn't stray far enough away to make me lose track of where "Blind" had been, every time I listen I immediately feel like "wasn't I just here?" Beyond that, you are talking about almost 8 minutes along the same train of though, which is too long to keep my attention.

Everyone knows about the Beatles' "Abbey Road" and the connected pieces within, but one of my favorite sequences is at the end of "Mona Bone Jakon" by Cat Stevens. This is the model I would shoot far as far as length and sameness. In order, the final three are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-agZzc1_W4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sviJhXm8e7s

The transition would seem even more present if I could find a working studio version of "Fill My Eyes", but I think it gets the idea across anyway.

Archived