Lenny's Opus

LeonardScaper

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LCK

View Post

The similarities are deeper than the number of beats per minute.

LCK

Absolutely. I wanted that. Now I am not so sure.

So, anyway.......I have cobbled all of it together into a progress track to see how it sounds as such. Anybody who has 8:18 to spend on a totally unfinished work.....

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

I am not convinced either way just yet. I am pleased with the way I have managed the story line thus far and I like the two songs that are relatively complete. I also like the interlude and am very excited about how the third movement is shaping up........envisioning strings and such there.

I hoped all along to establish something strong and steady with those first two movements and then change it drastically just in time. Perhaps I took it too far.

I need to have him at the bottom before the third piece because there he is surrounded by the primal sea which represents all of what he has run from and that has hurt and shaped him. That means that 'Bottom' needs to be where it is. Perhaps I will finish the third movement and then look at another piece to put between the interlude and 'Bottom'. That would give me a further opportunity to develop the story.

I want to thank you all for this detailed stuff. I'm hoping that by putting all of this out in such raw and progressive form we can all gain a little. I knew this would be a challenge and it is proving to be so. But I am loving it.cool.gif

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lenny - The reason that I posted the traditional tempo descriptions, was because I think the breaking up of a long musical piece into different movements has withstood the test of time through the Early, Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Modern eras of orchestral music.

A good template therefore to use for Lenny's Opus.

Without change in tempo, Lenny's Opus may end up more like Lenny's 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands' or similar long ballad.

So....WIP

• Members

Hey, I like Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands! lol

Check this, by the real Grace Slick. It's called Theme From the Movie Manhole. It goes on forever but it has many different segments...I used to put this on while on the bus going to work in the morning and get lost in it.

• Members

Oh no......that piece will be longer and a bit more....instrumentally dynamic. I'm glad you listened to the whole thing and got the intended feeling of drastic change. I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgitplayer

View Post

the breaking up of a long musical piece into different movements has withstood the test of time

Oh yes......and this is my goal with this piece as well.

I am strongly considering making the first interlude into a short movement that is tacked on to 'Blind' and then shortening 'Bottom'. My thought has always been that shorter pieces would better hold the listener's attention.

• Members

8 Minutes well spent. Do whatever you feel you must, but I'll kick your ass if you cut even one second off "Blind".

You should also open up a pay pall "Fund Len's Classical Guitar" account. The more I listen, the more convince I become that that simple of a change would make a huge difference in providing the contrast Lee and I are looking for.

Oh, and I should say that whatever you did to the drums on "Bottom" is a big improvement.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Oswlek

View Post

I'll kick your ass if you cut even one second off "Blind".

Agreed, though I think we'd find it hard to kick anyone's ass in cyberspace.

I agree that the off-beat drumming pattern takes away some of the sameness I'd heard previously.

That said, I wouldn't keep repeating "until my eyes have opened." The melody line can't sustain the repetition and retain the listener's interest. It gets old fast. The one line I keep wanting to hear over and over again is that first "I want to dive ... to the bottom."

Now to the piano part. It's beautiful, but there are a few places where you slip out of the new, half-note type intervals and fall back into similar melodic patterns to what's going on before.

This...

It's all around me now

everything I've been

...is great, but then this...

All I've ever done

... has some of the same flavor of the other tunes. I think that line should go up as if you're yearning for something out of reach.

and all I've never seen. (that line is about disappointment, so it should go down if it doesn't already)

I feel like I'm flying (should go up at the end)

A weight has been lifted (there you're back to the same or similar melodic patterns of the 1st 2 songs)

This whole song is quite beautiful, but not fully realized yet, I don't think. And I think this line:

"I think they have found me now..."

should be sung 4 times, with the downward piano part coming between each time its sung. I think that's how you should end this section of the piece, on that line repeated 4X. It's a heart breaker.

The piece is taking shape very nicely. Amazing work so far.

LCK

• Members

Great stuff again, guys.

No way I'm touching 'Blind'. No way. And thanks for the help, Justin, with the drums on the other.

As far as the new one goes....thank you, Lee for those ideas. I really need vocal coaching. I know that when I apply myself I can sing better. I'll be having that post up when the time comes.

Now....today (all day) was spent on the interlude, which has taken on a life of it's own. I retracked all of it to a slower pace. Put another verse in and some strings. Just tweaking it a bit now...still want to do some BVox.

I have yet to line it all back up with the other two tracks but here is a rough version....

• Members

Smile.

Having so much fun with it.

I do still wonder about the format. I'm tagging these first three songs together...that includes the interlude.....but somehow I need to engineer them so they can be separated for individual listening.

If anybody has any experience in that I'm all ears.cool.gif

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardScaper

View Post

Smile.

Having so much fun with it.

I do still wonder about the format. I'm tagging these first three songs together...that includes the interlude.....but somehow I need to engineer them so they can be separated for individual listening.

If anybody has any experience in that I'm all ears.cool.gif

I did that for an album. It's tricky but there are a few cool sleight of hand techniques you can use. BTW, this latest "movement" is very cool.

Actually, if you listen to side one of the 1st Cars album, they do it all (or most?) as one continuous piece. And those songs were used as is, as singles. One trick is to come down to a pad for your outro, but as an intro to the next tune, you have a kick accent with a guitar chord for instance. Then when sequencing the whole piece, you make track "2" on your burn software right at that downbeat. So when you choose track two...

Boom!... on into the tune proper. But when listened to as a continuous piece, it sounds just like a little accent in the pad. So use a sound from the next tune. Even just a sharp chord, muted or big, can hide the splice. All the while the pad is underneath. If listened as just track 2, that chord or kick just happens to start with a pad.

Any variation of that trick can take you far.

Of course, it depends how tricky you want to get. What about the last bit of track 1? Well... you could do a mild reversed cymbal that might make sense as an ending of just track 1. ssssSSSSHHHHWHOOP!Boom!...

• Moderators

Listen to this and how the synth has a bump at the attack right at the top of the tune as the transition from the previous. And at 4:37 you can hear the edit into the next tune if you're looking for it.

That are better examples on the album but I forget where. Many other albums as well.

• Members

I'll definitely check that out Lee...and thanks. Right now, though, my ears need a serious break.

I have bounced a progress track that times out at 9:34 in four movements. If anybody has the time to listen through I would love any observations about continuity or anything that sticks out.

Next up for serious work is the fourth movement...but I will be in the field tomorrow doing honest work.cool.gif

Thanks so much to anyone who is following this escapade.wave.gif

Journey To Cliff's Edge (Progress 9/5)

• Members

Tough day......

All I have managed on the Opus is a very expressive guitar accompaniment for the fourth movement. Used the ancient Kalamazoo but boy would that nylon string that Justin suggested have been perfect.cool.gif

I'll have that piece up for review late tomorrow . I have nailed down the lyrics, subject to review, and added a short section to it. It is very strong and it seems to be ....affecting me...so much so that I would rather wait to sing it until I get up as usual in the middle of the night. Just seems...right to wait until the quiet of the night for this one.

Lots of great material on the forum.wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardScaper

View Post

Tough day......

All I have managed on the Opus is a very expressive guitar accompaniment for the fourth movement. Used the ancient Kalamazoo but boy would that nylon string that Justin suggested have been perfect.cool.gif

I'll have that piece up for review late tomorrow . I have nailed down the lyrics, subject to review, and added a short section to it. It is very strong and it seems to be ....affecting me...so much so that I would rather wait to sing it until I get up as usual in the middle of the night. Just seems...right to wait until the quiet of the night for this one.

Lots of great material on the forum.wave.gif

Heading home any time soon? You could borrow mine... smile.gif

• Members

OK......looks like we're back in business, so.....

The fourth movement was started before the hiatus and I have brought it to a good place. Just would like to hear some input on the lyrics as they are now. I brought things down quite a bit.......and at the end I changed to a major key and finished playing to a click track to try to establish some forward momentum.

I am prepared to make lyric adjustments to this piece upon your most excellent observations.wave.gif

I'm calling it...'Immersion'.

It's all around me now

All I've ever been

Everything I've done

And everything I've seen

It's all around me now

And I feel like I'm flying

It's like a weight has been lifted

And I wonder what I'll find

I see now why I've been blind

I feel them around me now

Those whom I have sinned

Always could I run

But never could I win

I think I've been crying

But perhaps I've been gifted

Will there be peace of mind

When I'm no longer blind

The next movement is called 'Rise' and I decided to change to the perspective of the person who seems to be the one who he is searching for.......but we'll get to that later.cool.gif

Oh, and the piece is now timing out at 14:17. For those of you with time on your hands....

• Members

This is a beautiful piece Lenny. I really like it a lot.

Two comments :

1. Because there already is keyboard arpeggiation backing the lyric, I found that when the guitar riffing entered the soundstage, it distracted me from the the lyric and also broke the poignant musical mood by introducing 'busyness' - too many notes.

2. I struggle with the line, Those whom I have sinned. The rest of the song is not in colloquial language, so this stands out as soooo grammatically incorrect. IMO it could be reconsidered.

Otherwise, just in case I missed saying it - This is a beautiful piece Lenny. I really like it a lot.

• Members

Thanks for that OGP......that lyric has been bothering me as well. Have not yet found a good alternative. My dear departed mother would kick my butt for that usage....not to mention Sister Mary Joseph from grammar school.facepalm.gif

And thank you, Grace, for that heads up. I have been hosting this project on a separate SC page where I did not pay the 'Premium'. Seems as though I can't upload such a large file. I have hosted the file for the WIP on my main page.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...=11885716&q=hi

wave.gif

Archived