Lady Penelope

Lee Knight

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
yeah, maybe. It has a little bit of a "four score and seven years ago" feel to it though. It is a time for change, etc. A little politico speechy. A time! You know? As a matter of fact, if I could figure out how to get "time" out of there, I might too. I love the idea. How it offers hope with all the God is DEAD negative reality. But I don't want to to sound like Abe Lincoln, Martin Luther King or Obama either. smile.gif

The other consideration is the mechanics of speech. "A" works off of a glottal. "The" has the advantage of that tongue to the teeth. rolling into the "t" if "time"
All valid points. I've got so much to learn if I'm gonna glottal right.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by oldgitplayer View Post
All valid points. I've got so much to learn if I'm gonna glottal right.
Hey, I edit voice over for a living. I live this crap. smile.gif I've got a VO talent who is a Philippino-American. She has a beautiful, American voice. But she was raised in a Philippino home. And those Philippinos love their glottal stops. Think of the almost consonant sound at the top of each of these: uh-oh.

So in the midst of this this beautiful articulation she flaunts, there are these little uh-oh kind of sounds. I'm constantly editing them out and can actually see them a mile away.

TMI.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
B
Remember the time spent driving in your car?
The desert was electric, the day to day that can be so hectic
Was so far... away
If it was:

The desert was electric, the day to day, hectic
but so far away

The comma replaces 'was'.

The original line really grabbed me - the contrast between 'electric' and 'hectic' as well as the similarity.

Just a thought.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by saturn1 View Post
If it was:

but so far away

The original line really grabbed me - the contrast between 'electric' and 'hectic' as well as the similarity.

Just a thought.
You're saying you liked the original way I used "hectic". Cause I do too. I'd really love to buck the trend on this but it's easy to see the communal perception here, and the come around to some sense. I tend to agree with these guys. Not always though. I'd love to have a reason to keep it. ???? smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

You're saying you liked the original way I used "hectic". Cause I do too. I'd really love to buck the trend on this but it's easy to see the communal perception here, and the come around to some sense. I tend to agree with these guys. Not always though. I'd love to have a reason to keep it. ???? smile.gif

Hey, it's your song. Don't let us write it by committee. smile.gif

• Members

View Post

I prefer the original as well.

• Members

View Post

I haven't even picked up a guitar yet. No... just hearing it in my head.

OK, thanks. It is always nice to hear it in the head and jot it down, and then pick up the guitar, but actually I never do it that way. Bums me out when I pick up the pencil and paper and try to remember what was in my head without the guitar and pencil in hand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by saturn1 View Post
If it was:

but so far away

Just a thought.
I didn't understand this post at the time. That is AWESOME!!!! You fixed it. Thank you.

• Members

This capture my imagination from the start. I'm not entirely sure what it's about specifically and that could use some clarification (or not.) I look forward to hearing it.

"You're not a little girl, I'm not your daddy" is a very good line for a chorus and made me chuckle. I think that should really be emphasized. Haven't heard the melody, but that sticks in the mind.

Archived