Lady Penelope

Lee Knight

• Members

I'm liking where you are with the chorus.

Here are 2 thoughts :

1. Maybe leave out 'little' - it may be difficult to sing, and it is implied in the overall sentence.

2. 'Long gone' is strong - why not repeat it?

You're not a girl, I'm not your daddy

There is no Superman, Lady Penelope

The world's a better place to live

When we beg, borrow and give

Our heroes are long gone

Long gone, Lady Penelope

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Two lines in the chorus have been bugging me since first read, but it took me until now to figure out why.

My gut reaction is 'non-sequitur.' Why are we suddenly talking about making the world a better place in the middle of an intimate song about a tense relationship between two people? After mulling it over, I do get what you're going for - we're better off when we do things ourselves, by whatever means necessary, than when we rely on some idolized hero to save us. But I had to think about it to get there. I'd look for some words that express this sentiment in terms that involve just the narrator and Lady Penelope.

Does that make sense?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by grace_slick

View Post

So yeah, because of the bluntness of the word "dead", to me it's like ripping away the dreams of the person you're telling her heroes are not there. They're dead. Gone. You're on your own.

That was good.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle

View Post

Two lines in the chorus have been bugging me since first read, but it took me until now to figure out why.

My gut reaction is 'non-sequitur.' Why are we suddenly talking about making the world a better place in the middle of an intimate song about a tense relationship between two people? After mulling it over, I do get what you're going for - we're better off when we do things ourselves, by whatever means necessary, than when we rely on some idolized hero to save us. But I had to think about it to get there. I'd look for some words that express this sentiment in terms that involve just the narrator and Lady Penelope.

Does that make sense?

Wow! That's uncanny. Almost to the word you've described the issue I've had with those lines as well. I like the lines too. But I absolutely agree. The listener, I don't believe, does not walk away getting the meaning. It's too cryptic for its own good.

And with that input, ^right there^, it makes me want to step back and regroup. To then focus on clarity of meaning and communicating it. Thanks MU. Very good stuff.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by oldgitplayer

View Post

I'm liking where you are with the chorus.

Here are 2 thoughts :

1. Maybe leave out 'little' - it may be difficult to sing, and it is implied in the overall sentence.

2. 'Long gone' is strong - why not repeat it?

Our heroes are long gone

Long gone, Lady Penelope

Quote Originally Posted by stickboymusic

View Post

Is the below in keeping with the song?

Our heroes are long gone

FAREWELL, Lady Penelope

I like both of those. That's going in the mix. It has a nice wrap up quality to it.

• Moderators

View Post

THE LINE HAS GONE ASTRAY (this line may need work)

AND IT SADDENS ME TO SAY (taken partially from your old line and ending on a penelope rhyme)

Our heroes are long gone

FAREWELL, Lady Penelope

I couple of things. The beginning of rewriting those two lines is hugely helpful. I got kinda married to them but knew they weren't right. So, nice. But I'm not getting the Penelope rhyme. To me, there is no Penelope rhyme. I never intended one. So where are you seeing it?

And... while I love the word "farewell" there, it makes it sound like we're bidding Penelope farewell. When really, it's the heroes that are gone. Right? Or no? I might be getting a little lost on your take of here...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

I couple of things. The beginning of rewriting those two lines is hugely helpful. I got kinda married to them but knew they weren't right. So, nice. But I'm not getting the Penelope rhyme. To me, there is no Penelope rhyme. I never intended one. So where are you seeing it?

And... while I love the word "farewell" there, it makes it sound like we're bidding Penelope farewell. When really, it's the heroes that are gone. Right? Or no? I might be getting a little lost on your take of here...

Ahhh yeh...ok my accent has a partial rhyme with "say" and "penelope". Of course yours doesnt!

I assume from your response that you dont want a rhyme there? I think one would suit the place but do as you will.

Farewell - hmmmm maybe I am still not fully reading into the song. The HEROES are gone, sure.... but is she not seeing you as the hero instead of a human partner?

It's likely I have missed the concept - oops!

• Members

View Post

It's too cryptic for its own good.

Love the line, love the cryptic. Relationships ARE cryptic!!!

Slight variation to personalise :

Our world's a better place to live

• Moderators

View Post

Ahhh yeh...ok my accent has a partial rhyme with "say" and "penelope". Of course yours doesnt!

I assume from your response that you don't want a rhyme there? I think one would suit the place but do as you will.

Farewell - hmmmm maybe I am still not fully reading into the song. The HEROES are gone, sure.... but is she not seeing you as the hero instead of a human partner?

It's likely I have missed the concept - oops!

Ah!!! I see. It's not that I don't want a rhyme there. That would work dandily! It that I didn't initially intend one. And I could see yours. got it.

"but is she not seeing you as the hero instead of a human partner", yeah, you got it. But I'm not bidding her goodbye. I'm working out details so we can go forward together. So "long gone" works for me because we're talking about heroes.

• Members

View Post

Ah!!! I see. It's not that I don't want a rhyme there. That would work dandily! It that I didn't initially intend one. And I could see yours. got it.

"but is she not seeing you as the hero instead of a human partner", yeah, you got it. But I'm not bidding her goodbye. I'm working out details so we can go forward together. So "long gone" works for me because we're talking about heroes.

Im with you.... mostly.

• Moderators

View Post

Love the line, love the cryptic. Relationships ARE cryptic!!!

Slight variation to personalise :

Our world's a better place to live

Wow. That is a very small but potent change there. I like that. Yeah, I really do like those lines. They're very emotional for me too. It was with a lot of pain that I communicated those ideas to "Penelope". To scrap it out here on earth is far better than to dream of and bemoan the absence of a silver spoon.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by LCK

View Post

How about "the desert was electric, the daily dialectic was so far away?"

I forgot to mention at the time how clever that is. Dielectric is awesome. I feels too scientific for the tone here, but... wow, that's pretty clever. Spot on in its meaning. Nice alliteration too. smile.gif

• Moderators

View Post

How about setting up the present time aspect of 'long gone' :

You're not a little girl, I'm not your daddy

It can be a time to love and live

Our heroes are gone

Long gone, Lady Penelope

Ooo, yeah. Maybe trimmed...

You're not a little girl, I'm not your daddy

It is the time to love and live

Our heroes are gone

Long gone, Lady Penelope

• Moderators

yeah, maybe. It has a little bit of a "four score and seven years ago" feel to it though. It is a time for change, etc. A little politico speechy. A time! You know? As a matter of fact, if I could figure out how to get "time" out of there, I might too. I love the idea. How it offers hope with all the God is DEAD negative reality. But I don't want to to sound like Abe Lincoln, Martin Luther King or Obama either. smile.gif

The other consideration is the mechanics of speech. "A" works off of a glottal. "The" has the advantage of that tongue to the teeth. rolling into the "t" if "time"

Archived