Friday Influences Thread - 10-12-12

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by rsadasiv

View Post

That's a great song. But those trebly guitar arpeggios take me to a precise time and place the same way that a snare drum routed into a gated reverb does. redface.gif

Jules Shear productions always suck. Seriously... I've been listening to him for 35 years and I don't think he's ever released an album who's production wasn't wrong in one way or another. But the songs... are always great.

• Members

This mini-doc below represents the biggest dose of contemporary rock I've had in a while...

This is a side project for one of my 3DW pals. His own band, Repeater, has a small but loyal following, but his bandmates in Fear and the Nervous System are pretty well known...

• Members

I've actually been listening to the Taxi Driver sndtrk for a while now. Great stuff!

The novella was about a boy who couldn't die, the other children who treated him with considerably less restraint because of that, the effects of growing up in those circumstances and all of the ethical issues that all suggests.
With the benefit of hindsight it has it's good points and its bad points. I've always been decent with ideas but 1) the execution can be lacking sometimes, and 2) I tried some things intentionally that didn't work and some things didn't work simply because it was my first major work of prose and I wasn't the greatest writer.

--
Conor Oberst suffered from youth for a long time.. I discovered him when Cassadega came out so I thankfully missed a lot of the whinier stuff - but for a guy that's been putting out records since he was sixteen he really does have a way with words.

"If I loved you, well that's my fault." (who hasn't felt like that, eh?)

• Members

Talent is good . . . but getting your record banned is even better.

That's master song writer Billy Joel's tag line at the end of a televised "Masterclass" segment, in which he explains that his mega hit, ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG, had to be "banned by a Catholic radio station" before anyone paid attention to it.

This segment opens with Billy's anecdote about about the 'real reason' he no longer performs his biggest hit (I love you) JUST THE WAY YOU ARE, written, he says, "for my first 'ex'" -- and how his drummer used to parody the song's punch line, singing, "She got the house; she got the car."

[Well worth the 6:30 it takes to watch this, I promise (or double your money back).]

Archived