Marshall JVM, yay or nay?

cvogue

• Members

I love how the Gibson and Marshall haters, use Chinese labor to devalue Marshalls, which I thought they were made in the UK, and Lazy American labor to dog Gibsons.

Not saying you are, your obviously a Gibson fan, but people have their cake and eat it too on that one.

Just pointing out the obvious.

I actually use a Marshall JCM900 MkIII 50w 1/2 stack made in the U.K. in 1990. I just don't like most amps made in China, even if the parts do come from the U.K. or U.S.A. Yes I use a 1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, but heavily modified with Duncan 4 wire pickups, push/pull Alpha pot on bridge volume, putting pickups out-of-phase or in-phase, push/pull Alpha pot on neck volume to split coils and clean up the neck Pearly Gates, plus Sprague Orange Drop (film/foil) .0223mf 400v caps (adds articulation to tone).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The 205H is my favorite amp of all time. I've owned Splawns, VHT's, Engls, Oranges, etc, etc, etc..........

I could see how someone would thing it is buzzy or thin if you just sit down with it for a half hour or so. It takes time but just about every Marshall tone created is in there,

Here are some tips:

Immediately lose all the stock pre-amp tubes and replace them with Sovtek LPS.........except for V3 in which you should put a 12at7 or 5751 of some sort (*trust me)

For OD/hard rock/metal tones do this..............

Do not use the effects loop
Put all tone controls to zero
Dime the channel volume
Adjust master and gain to taste
Slowly bump up the EQ knobs till you hear what you like
Strange but IMPORTANT: Never go above 9 o'clock on any EQ (bass, middle, treble)
Adjust Resonance and Presence (never above high noon)

I personally prefer a mix of V30's and Greenbacks in my cabs. I do not like 75's although it was designed around them, And I do not like G12H30's with the JVM. I do agree that Eminence sucks...........but I think they suck with every amp (except the Legend GB12).

• Members

Lol at this post. My JVM, like all others was built in the U.K. It also came stock with SED power tubes as do they all. I don't know about the other stuff, but I gig with mine and have had it for over 2 and 1/2 years and had only 1 minor problem which the warranty covered.

Some of the parts in your Marshall JVM may have come from the U.K. like the transformers (maybe) and filter caps, but it was assembled with Chinese labor with the printed circuit board, pots, relays, power tube sockets, OEM power tubes and OEM preamp tubes made in China. The last Marshall Amp made completely in England was the JCM900 MkIII (1990-1992) and the JCM900 SL-X (1993-1999). Every Marshall amp made, beginning in 2000 with DSL100's and DSL50's, was manufactured in the Chinese plant.

• Members

Some of the parts in your Marshall JVM may have come from the U.K. like the transformers (maybe) and filter caps, but it was assembled with Chinese labor with the printed circuit board, pots, relays, power tube sockets, OEM power tubes and OEM preamp tubes made in China. The last Marshall Amp made completely in England was the JCM900 MkIII (1990-1992) and the JCM900 SL-X (1993-1999). Every Marshall amp made, beginning in 2000 with DSL100's and DSL50's, was manufactured in the Chinese plant.

Link

• Members

Also, JVMs come stock with SEDs which are made in St. Petersburg Russia. I don't know where you're getting your info, but it's wrong.

• Members

Immediately lose all the stock pre-amp tubes and replace them with Sovtek LPS.........except for V3 in which you should put a 12at7 or 5751 of some sort (*trust me)

Dime the channel volume

Strange but IMPORTANT: Never go above 9 o'clock on any EQ (bass, middle, treble)

I personally prefer a mix of V30's and Greenbacks in my cabs. I do not like 75's although it was designed around them, And I do not like G12H30's with the JVM. I do agree that Eminence sucks...........but I think they suck with every amp (except the Legend GB12).

.....hahahahah.....love it! This is so true. If there was ever an amp to dial in with your ears, not your eyes it is the JVM. Heed this advice!!

• Members

I've had better luck keeping the channel volumes low and the master(s) up relative to each other but I'll give that guide a try just for the hell of it. Got a couple of LPS's and a JJ ECC81 laying around I'll try in V3.

Any ideas on dialing the flub out of the crunch channel? It's great gain wise for classic rock type stuff it just has this muddy low end none of the other channels have, especially when playing single notes on the low E.

• Members

.....hahahahah.....love it! This is so true. If there was ever an amp to dial in with your ears, not your eyes it is the JVM. Heed this advice!!

+1

I run both my presence and resonance at 1 out of 10. I really want to play around with the tones, but I really enjoy it through my orange cab.

• Members

I've had better luck keeping the channel volumes low and the master(s) up relative to each other but I'll give that guide a try just for the hell of it. Got a couple of LPS's and a JJ ECC81 laying around I'll try in V3.

Any ideas on dialing the flub out of the crunch channel? It's great gain wise for classic rock type stuff it just has this muddy low end none of the other channels have, especially when playing single notes on the low E.

I have the 205H and the only time I get flub is when using Red Crunch or Red OD. I never use these. Stick in Orange and you shouldn't have that problem. And keep the Resonance down.

Another thing that really helps is using a stock Boss SD-1 as a clean boost (level full/gain off). It cuts out the flub and tightens things up nicely:thu:

• Members

The 205H is my favorite amp of all time. I've owned Splawns, VHT's, Engls, Oranges, etc, etc, etc..........

I could see how someone would thing it is buzzy or thin if you just sit down with it for a half hour or so. It takes time but just about every Marshall tone created is in there,

Here are some tips:

Dime the channel volume

5751 smooth the gain out more? in the v3

Archived