Marshall JVM, yay or nay?

cvogue

• Members

I played the 100 watt 410 model. I really liked it. Probably the only new Marshall I've ever liked. The only other Marshalls I've played and liked are the Zakk Wylde JCM800's and the reissue JCM800's. The JVM is one of the best to come out ever

How do you compare it to that T2 that you have?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok, here's the deal IMO.

The JVM is great, big caveat, with the right pick ups and guitar, and cabs.

1. It sounds like {censored} with Eminences. I had a Basson 4x12 with eminence legends. Completly scooped {censored}ty fizz flat {censored}ness.Now with my Marshall 1960av with Marhsall Vintage Speakers (not stock v30's, sounded like {censored} with that too, Avatar sells them as the Hellatone 60L) it sounds godly. If you notice almost everyone who loves the {censored} out of thier JVM uses these speakers. Huge tight punchy low end, thick crunchy mids, and nice smooth dark top. It also sounds great with with my 1960B, but gets along perfect with my 1960av.

2. It {censored}ing hates EMGs. Hate, Hate, Hates EMGs. It gets along alot better with passives. The EMGs sound thin, harsh and feed back like a mother {censored}er. Now the 57 classics in my gold top. {censored}ing perfect, vintage raunch.

The 500t in my Classic, huge meaty old shool metal sound. You can do thrash all day long, with gain at 10:30, or hardcore punk with the gain at 9:00 on od1 orange. The 498T in Studio, best modern hardcore tone I've ever heard.

Sterling post, good sir :thu:

The EMGs sound pretty good with mine (and I think I said that last time you mentioned this). Bridge 'bucker gets a snarling mid-range sound going and they're heavy as balls. I just hate that they don't clean up for {censored} when rolling the volume back. EMG in the neck position gets a really smooth tone for 12+ fret soloing yet still gets raunchy for powerchords. I'm getting real tired with the noise and squealing, though, just like you mentioned.

• Members

I'm of the opion that almost any amp, even a {censored}ing $5000 Diezel will sound like {censored} with with wrong speakers and cab.

{censored}ing THIS.

I absolutely {censored}ing loved my Mesa cab, but never considered the speaker cabinet a vital piece of gear until I got my Diezel head, almost everyone told me it wouldn't get along with the Mesa, I didn't wanna hear it but they were right..

Not until I traded my Mesa for my Mills afterburner did I realize how HUGE of an impact a cab has on the sound, it's absolutely just as important as the head your playing with.

I suppose this is pretty ignorant on my part, but nevertheless, I was agreeing that I've played a JVM through a couple different cabs in the past couple days, and it could sound amazing, or like an FM radio, this was all done with my main gigging guitar...

That being said, my favorite youtube video when I wanna hear good tone is still made with a JVM :love::love:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Edit: How someone can say that doesn't sound punchy is deaf... period.

• Members

I did but not so much because I though it was better, it was because LoG had me erect for their tones. Then I totally realized their tones just don't work at all for me.

Their recorded tones are mainly Mark's blend of two Mark IV's, one with 6l6's and one with EL34's, the only part of LoG's tone that gets me (and I'm an admitted fanboi) are their big chords, they sounds so {censored}ing mean to me...

• Members
My best friend has one and when I take my Splawn over there it crushes that thing to pieces:cop:

Like Nerine said, the JVM has a freaky digital/processed sound to me with absolutely no punch...kinda fizzy too to be honest.

With that said, I'd have to say that I personally cant stand JVM's

just saying...
;)

+1 i had a jVM and its exactly how i would describe them. AND, that thing is so NOISY!!!

I'M now playing with a splawn and couldn't be happier

The good part of the jsv is the programmable footswitch

• Members

Marshall JVM = Chinese printed circuit boards, Chinese little black square plastic pots that burn out, Chinese weak solder joints, Chinese crappy labor, cheap Chinese power tubes, cheap Chinese parts and relays = Amp crap out.

I love how the Gibson and Marshall haters, use Chinese labor to devalue Marshalls, which I thought they were made in the UK, and Lazy American labor to dog Gibsons.

Not saying you are, your obviously a Gibson fan, but people have their cake and eat it too on that one.

Just pointing out the obvious.

• Members

Edit: How someone can say that doesn't sound punchy is deaf... period.

That sounds awesome, and that's without a boost. And that's on Orange so if anyone possibly needed more gain than that, they still have red. Plus the clean is great on this amp. I love this amp. I actually had one and then went on a year long Yngwie kick, got rid of the 4 channel amp and just used a strat, an OD pedal and a DSL50 (which did sound beautiful but no real chunk when you wanted it). Now I'm gassing for a JVM. I might pick up the 50 watt 2 channel if I can find one.

• Members

Marshall JVM = Chinese printed circuit boards, Chinese little black square plastic pots that burn out, Chinese weak solder joints, Chinese crappy labor, cheap Chinese power tubes, cheap Chinese parts and relays = Amp crap out.

A JVM also gave me AIDS and raped my cat.

• Members

I like everything but the "crunch" channel, it is flubby and muddy as {censored} IMO but the OD1 on green or orange with the gain down covers that territory. I use mine as a 3 channel amp, just can't get anything useful out of the crunch channel. It sounds like a Marshall with an awesome clean channel to me. If you don't like the Marshall sound you aren't going to like a Marshall amp.:idea:

• Members
I like everything but the "crunch" channel, it is flubby and muddy as {censored} IMO but the OD1 on green or orange with the gain down covers that territory. I use mine as a 3 channel amp, just can't get anything useful out of the crunch channel. It sounds like a Marshall with an awesome clean channel to me. If you don't like the Marshall sound you aren't going to like a Marshall amp.
:idea:

If you want anything from 80's metal through thrash to modern metal, its on OD2. And the clean green is good, so the 2 channel should be good.

• Members

I have owned the JVM for a year and a half, and as I have written in similar threads, the amp is speaker and tube sensitive, and it not your typical plug and play Marshall. But if you tinker and tweak enough it will give you some killer tones.

• Members

Lol at this post. My JVM, like all others was built in the U.K. It also came stock with SED power tubes as do they all. I don't know about the other stuff, but I gig with mine and have had it for over 2 and 1/2 years and had only 1 minor problem which the warranty covered.

• Members

Lol at this post. My JVM, like all others was built in the U.K. It also came stock with SED power tubes as do they all. I don't know about the other stuff, but I gig with mine and have had it for over 2 and 1/2 years and had only 1 minor problem which the warranty covered.

I've had mine for 2 1/2 half years. Never had a single problem. I still have the same SED powertubes in it that cam in it, just like my TSL(lasted 9 years, no {censored}). I used to be amp gasser, but after the JVM the gas was cured so I'm moved on to gassing for every other imaginable thing music related under the sun.

Archived