Metal Scales?

Jcm800_6550

• Members

now how the modes and stuff work? i see that there are 7 modes of harmonic minor each sounding slightly different.

"Modes are basically taking a scale and starting and stopping on a note within the scale other than the root note.

For example, if we take the C major scale (C D E F G A B C) and start and stop on the D note instead of the C note we get:

D E F G A B C D

We are still playing the notes of the C major scale, but starting and stopping on the D note makes it sound as though D is the root note. You may have to play the scale several times this way before you will begin to hear D as the tonal center. It's imperative that you do not play any wrong notes at this point, or the effect will be lost.

• Members

Learn the major scale and the patterns for it (7 modes) You will be able to solo in any key at any time. Changed my life.

The major scale has nothing to do with metal. Show me one Metallica song that's major.

Natural minor and it's variations is where it's at.

• Members

I've been learning theory on my own lately and found a GREAT site that leads you through a lot of this stuff in a very logical order. Check this out for information and practice exercises concerning locating notes on the fret board, the major scale, triads, intervals, minor scales, pentatonic, modes... Good explanations and diagrams and links to previous lessons:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

Learning this stuff is giving me a fresh motivation to play more guitar.:thu:

• Members
I've been learning theory on my own lately and found a GREAT site that leads you through a lot of this stuff in a very logical order. Check this out for information and practice exercises concerning locating notes on the fret board, the major scale, triads, intervals, minor scales, pentatonic, modes... Good explanations and diagrams and links to previous lessons:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

Learning this stuff is giving me a fresh motivation to play more guitar.
:thu:

Thanks man :thu:

• Members

Forget about learning more scales and modes for now. Seriously.

Learn some of your favourite solo's by EAR. The vast majority of solo's from the bands you mentioned make big use of the Pentatonic/Blues scale...so if you're not able to solo in those styles using that scale...you're not hearing it..which means you don't know it...you might know the "shapes"..but you don't yet recognise the sound..which is what it's all about.

Learning solo's by ear will give you a vocabulary of licks (in the context or a real song, which is important) and then you can start experimenting with the different flavours that are typically used in Metal...but it'll all be WAY easier if you start as I've suggested.

Good luck! :thu:

• Members
The major scale has
nothing
to do with metal. Show me one Metallica song that's major.

Natural minor and it's variations is where it's at.

:lol: Nothing like a FAIL where he who fails cops an attitude. Truly then shall his FAIL be deemed EPIC.

Archived