NAD: ADA MP1

NixerX

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
yes, there are 4 trimpots inside the MP1:

The first one (near the tubes) controls the input gain (OD1) before it hits the tubes

The second one (near the rear jacks) controls the actual tube gain (OD2)

These are VERY useful and can definitely change the gain structure of the preamp. Think of OD1 as a clean boost and OD2 as the actual amp drive when setting the pots (and the actual parameters). Also, keep in mind they also affect the gain on the clean Tube voicing so a high setting may be awesome for distortion but it will cause the tube clean to break up early and loose headroom. Open the top cover and try several different settings making sure you alternate between an OD tone and tube clean tone to find a balance that works well for both.

The third and fourth pots are for the compression on the solid state voicing and the chorus voicing but should not be messed with unless you have an oscilloscope and know exactly what you are doing, so I won't tell you where they're at
:lol:
just leave them 2 alone.

I was wondering why the "clean" tube voice on mine was crunchy as hell, at all settings. I'll have to take a look at these. I printed the manual from a pdf file when I first got it but I don't think they mention the trim pots in the manual. Must be top secret:cop:

• Members
So what are some good poweramps to pair with this thing? I gotta say the tones coming from my 3203 power section sound SWEEEEEEEEET even using G12-75Ts

1. 75's sound awesome with this preamp b/c it's not a modern/scooped disaster that needs the mids replaced with obnoxious speakers like the V30.:thu::thu:

2. You ought to just buy another 3203, so you can use the stereo chorus.

3. Or, find a Marshall, Rivera, or VHT power amp.:thu::thu:

• Members

So what are some good poweramps to pair with this thing? I gotta say the tones coming from my 3203 power section sound SWEEEEEEEEET even using G12-75Ts

My personal favorite is the Mesa 2:90 but any good tube poweramp will work, i.e. VHT/Fryette 2/50/2, Mesa 50/50, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

yeah rear input jack mod

as for the other mod, the MP-1 has an internal battery for the memory which needs to be replaced every 6-8 years. The battery is soldered to the PCB and it'sa pain to replace. The battery mod adds a battery holder to the pcb to make it easier to replace the battery.

Look at the mods section of adadepot.com

Wanted to bump this thread just to ask: when the battery is replaced, are all presets lost?

• Members
yes, there are 4 trimpots inside the MP1:

The first one (near the tubes) controls the input gain (OD1) before it hits the tubes

The second one (near the rear jacks) controls the actual tube gain (OD2)

These are VERY useful and can definitely change the gain structure of the preamp. Think of OD1 as a clean boost and OD2 as the actual amp drive when setting the pots (and the actual parameters). Also, keep in mind they also affect the gain on the clean Tube voicing so a high setting may be awesome for distortion but it will cause the tube clean to break up early and loose headroom. Open the top cover and try several different settings making sure you alternate between an OD tone and tube clean tone to find a balance that works well for both.

The third and fourth pots are for the compression on the solid state voicing and the chorus voicing but should not be messed with unless you have an oscilloscope and know exactly what you are doing, so I won't tell you where they're at
:lol:
just leave them 2 alone.

God damn, guitarbilly....I've had my Mp-1 almost 20 years and never new that. :facepalm: GREAT info right there.

I'm in the middle of completely overhauling the unit, replacing the pots, jacks and everything else I can think of. It's been in my closet for the last few years, but I'm was really missing it lately.

I think I'm starting to GAS for my own equipment....d'oh! :cop:

• Members

Bringing back some memories! I used one of them for a long time in the mid 90's! I loved that son of a bitch. I never felt like it mic'ed off very well though if that makes any sense. Sitting in front of my cabs( which were the ADA 2x12 vertical split stack cabs) it sounded amazing , but I never thought the tone translated through a mic. Thats the only reason I got rid of it and when I did , I immediately regretted it!

Archived