NAD: ADA MP1

NixerX

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How hard and how much is the mods?

I sent mine to MarshallJMP in Belgium to have it modded. Cost me about $400 but he went over the unit top to bottom and put in the new MDRT transformer as well as the Mod4, noise mods, battery mod, etc. It's been bulletproof for 3 years now and sounds fantastic.

• Members

This is good advice.

Change the tubes if the tone is a bit thin.

A parametric equalizer really open up the MP-1

I was messing with the EQ's I have in Reaper. The parametric certainly did good things.

As far as modding it. I dont thing im gonna mod it "tonally" I might do that Battery mod cause it makes sense. I can get more gain from boosting with my 808.

• Members

what are their purpose? Gain?

yes, there are 4 trimpots inside the MP1:

The first one (near the tubes) controls the input gain (OD1) before it hits the tubes

The second one (near the rear jacks) controls the actual tube gain (OD2)

These are VERY useful and can definitely change the gain structure of the preamp. Think of OD1 as a clean boost and OD2 as the actual amp drive when setting the pots (and the actual parameters). Also, keep in mind they also affect the gain on the clean Tube voicing so a high setting may be awesome for distortion but it will cause the tube clean to break up early and loose headroom. Open the top cover and try several different settings making sure you alternate between an OD tone and tube clean tone to find a balance that works well for both.

The third and fourth pots are for the compression on the solid state voicing and the chorus voicing but should not be messed with unless you have an oscilloscope and know exactly what you are doing, so I won't tell you where they're at :lol: just leave them 2 alone.

• Members
yes, there are 4 trimpots inside the MP1:

The first one (near the tubes) controls the input gain (OD1) before it hits the tubes

The second one (near the rear jacks) controls the actual tube gain (OD2)

These are VERY useful and can definitely change the gain structure of the preamp. Think of OD1 as a clean boost and OD2 as the actual amp drive when setting the pots (and the actual parameters). Also, keep in mind they also affect the gain on the clean Tube voicing so a high setting may be awesome for distortion but it will cause the tube clean to break up early and loose headroom. Open the top cover and try several different settings making sure you alternate between an OD tone and tube clean tone to find a balance that works well for both.

The third and fourth pots are for the compression on the solid state voicing and the chorus voicing but should not be messed with unless you have an oscilloscope and know exactly what you are doing, so I won't tell you where they're at
:lol:
just leave them 2 alone.

I never knew that. I always appreciated the fact the ADA had dual gain controls but now...cool.

Thank-you very much for the info:thu:

• Members

Internal trim pots?? wtf have to check that out when I get home. Are they on the 2.1 version as well?

I just got it a month ago and love it so far, I put in some 5751 tubes and its much more articulate and cuts down the noise a lil with my P-90.

• Members

Yeah I got one too a few weeks ago. :love::love::love: I don't know why it took this long to get one. Especially after all of the pedals I have bought to try and get that sound. Needless to say. Those are all gone now... Just teamed it up with a Digitech Quad effect processor, and it seems like it is going to work out perfect when I get time to get everything programmed just right.

• Members

Internal trim pots?? wtf have to check that out when I get home. Are they on the 2.1 version as well?

I just got it a month ago and love it so far, I put in some 5751 tubes and its much more articulate and cuts down the noise a lil with my P-90.

AFAIK yes, all MP-1 versions including the classic have them.

• Members

All MP-1s have a rear input jack, but on the earlier versions the rear input only work for line-level devices, so you can't plug a guitar straight into it. The rear input mod brings the rear input level down to instrument level.

How do I tell whether or not mine is the older or newer jack?

• Members

plug your guitar in the rear jack, if it sounds normal, it's the new one, if there is a huge loss of gain and volume, it's the old one and you should do the conversion.

I'm using it with the Digitech GSP1101.

IIRC, the 1101 has a +10db boost button for the guitar send output. Wouldn't this alleviate the need for the mod on the MP-1?

• Members

plug your guitar in the rear jack, if it sounds normal, it's the new one, if there is a huge loss of gain and volume, it's the old one and you should do the conversion.

I just tried both jacks.

The output is the same, so I assume it's a newer unit.

Archived