Fane Speakers- dark?

petejt

• Members

I've got a second 4x12 closed-back cab, and the current speakers in it aren't what I want. So I've decided to get them all out, and put in a pair of EV 200 watt speakers and another pair in a cross pattern, and wire it for 8 ohms stereo.

I asked around about suggestions for a dark sound, and was recently suggested a pair of Fane speakers, as they have a lot of bottom end.

Is this true?

I want something quite dark sounding, lots of low-mid.

I'll be running a Mesa/Boogie 50/50 stereo poweramp into it.

• Members

Eminence legends are pretty dark. Try those. I don't know about Fane speakers

This is true, the GB128's that I had installed were pretty dark, but had plenty of presence and clarity.

Come to think of it, I really miss the sound of em' :cry:

But the Fanes' would most definitely be better. They have some big-ass alnico magnets on them.

Alnico magnet + high wattage handling = pretty dark tone.

Standard staple in the Hiwatt/Townsend tone for The Who. Listen to "Live at Reeds," and you'll soon be GASing for that sound the way I do whenever I hear that sound :love:

• Members
Eminence legends are pretty dark. Try those. I don't know about Fane speakers

Thank you. :)

I'll be busy over the weekend so won't have time to sort the cab out myself. So first thing tomorrow morning I am taking it into an amp repair shop. He was the one that first suggested the Fanes. Hopefully he might have Eminence speakers too.

Any other suggestions? I know that Swamp Thang speakers are dark, would they work well with the EV 12L speakers in a cross-pattern?

Another thing to remember is that a second 4x12 cab will be running next to it, that is full of V30s.

• Members

This is true, the GB128's that I had installed were pretty dark, but had plenty of presence and clarity.

Come to think of it, I really miss the sound of em'
:cry:

But the Fanes' would most definitely be better. They have some big-ass alnico magnets on them.

Alnico magnet + high wattage handling = pretty dark tone.

Standard staple in the Hiwatt/Townsend tone for The Who. Listen to "Live at Reeds," and you'll soon be GASing for that sound the way I do whenever I hear that sound
:love:

Thanks man, I'll go check out "Live at Reeds" right now. :cool:

EDIT: Hang on, don't you mean "Live at Leeds"? :idk:

• Members
Thank you.
:)

I'll be busy over the weekend so won't have time to sort the cab out myself. So first thing tomorrow morning I am taking it into an amp repair shop. He was the one that first suggested the Fanes. Hopefully he might have Eminence speakers too.

Any other suggestions? I know that Swamp Thang speakers are dark, would they work well with the EV 12L speakers in a cross-pattern?

Another thing to remember is that a second 4x12 cab will be running next to it, that is full of V30s.

I've wondered that too. I've been wanting to mix the Legends in the Vader with EVM Black Labels. I was also thinking about the Eminence Super V. Apparently it's supposed to be a take on a Fane speaker Lynch was fond of. Maybe you could try those if you're going Eminence.

• Members
I've always found Fanes to be really bright until pushed hard, and even then, they don't smooth out like a Blue or Greenback.
:idk:

What amp did you use with them?

If the Fanes do turn out to be bright, would keeping the Presence on 0 help tame the brightness?

• Members

What amp did you use with them?

If the Fanes do turn out to be bright, would keeping the Presence on 0 help tame the brightness?

It was a '73 Hiwatt DR504 into a mid 70's cab. Great, GREAT tone, but definitely not dark by any stretch of the imagination.

I haven't tried the new ones, so no idea how they are, but that combo was bright. Not shrill, definitely more of a "string clarity" type of bright, but not thumping per se.

• Members

It was a '73 Hiwatt DR504 into a mid 70's cab. Great, GREAT tone, but definitely not dark by any stretch of the imagination.

I haven't tried the new ones, so no idea how they are, but that combo was bright. Not shrill, definitely more of a "string clarity" type of bright, but not thumping per se.

Oh ok, thanks mate. String clarity I like, but I also want thump.

• Members

The Super V's are dark as hell and I use them with a second cabinet with Gov/MOW X Pattern from Eminence, but I have yet to try out the cab with the X Pattern as I have no amp atm. If you want dark speakers, the Super V's may be worth checking out.

So if you have a bright amp, a pair of Super Vs for darkness and EVMs for allowing the brightness of your amp to come through may work as a balance.

• Members

I've now decided on mixing the EV speakers with a V30, and a Mesa/Boogie Black Shadow 90. It should be ok now, and cheaper.

The real fact is that I love the sound of V30s with my MarkIV. I can add a little darkness with the Black Shadow and a more 'even' sound with the EV speakers.

Archived