Speaker efficiency question

smrz

• Members

Are higher wattage speakers typically also going to have higher SPL ratings? Is it the magnet size that's important? I'm replacing the stock speaker in a Musicmaster Bass Amp (10-15 watts tube) and I'm hoping to ideally coax some more volume out of it too, but I'm not sure if I should just stick with a low wattage speaker or go for something beefier.

• Members

Are higher wattage speakers typically also going to have higher SPL ratings? Is it the magnet size that's important? I'm replacing the stock speaker in a Musicmaster Bass Amp (10-15 watts tube) and I'm hoping to ideally coax some more volume out of it too, but I'm not sure if I should just stick with a low wattage speaker or go for something beefier.

Speaker wattage rating has nothing to do with it's SPL ratings, it's just a measure of how much power it can handle without burning up.

Many construction factors affect how loud a specific speaker is. Magnet size is one, as is cone material and a number of other factors.

Speaker efficiency is actually the rating you need to look at.

First pick a speaker rated @ 20 watts or greater to cover your power requirements.

Next pick the speaker with the highest effiency rating.

A speaker rated @ 103dB, in theory, can produce 103dB given 1 watt from the amplifier at a distance of one meter from the speaker.

A speaker with the same wattage rating, but with an efficiency of 93dB will be roughly half as loud with the exact same amp.

• Members

Wattage and SPL are completely independant of each other. Pay NO attention to magnet size. The SPL rating is the closest measure you will get to a representation of a speaker's "loudness". The loudest speakers I know of are from eminence:

-The Wizard -> Tons of midrange, very loud, but still warm and plenty of low end
-The Governer -> Kind of sounds like a Vintage 30 (arguably) but is a bit louder and a bit brighter, smoother midrange
-Man o War -> Scooped sounding like the G12T75, but has its own flavour, pronouced sparkly highs and heavy lows
-Tonker -> Great balanced speaker with smooth top end
-Red Fang -> Alnico speaker with great crunchy handling capabilities. Classic Alnico sound.

-D

• Members

if u decide to upgrade, u could try a celestion G12 century neo (regular, not the vintage)

not only is it super light in weight, it is also 103db which i would say is celestion's loudest speaker

it sounds twice as loud as the 97db speaker i was using before (or close, anyway)

ps. i use one and the sound is great, no loss of bass due to light weight of the speaker

CelestionG12CenturyGuitarSpeaker.jpg

• Members

Thanks...I know SPL is the best indicator, but I'm looking some at Weber stuff and they don't publish SPL ratings.

I'd be slow to buy something from a supplier who won't disclose even the most basic details of their product.

Did you try emailing or ringing them? I believe Weber are pretty reputable so I'm sure they could help you out.

• Members

I'd be slow to buy something from a supplier who won't disclose even the most basic details of their product.

Did you try emailing or ringing them? I believe Weber are pretty reputable so I'm sure they could help you out.

Weber won't tell you the SPL ratings, I tried. I heard 2nd hand the reason they don't publish the efficiency ratings is every manufacturer measures it differently and they (Ted?) thought it was misleading. I think that's bull{censored} so I bought Celestions instead.

• Members

kinda like celestion and their resistance to publishing T/S parameters of any of their speakers? :D

damn i hate that they do that.. sure would be nice to have that information for building enclosures... bastards!

• Members

Weber won't tell you the SPL ratings, I tried. I heard 2nd hand the reason they don't publish the efficiency ratings is every manufacturer measures it differently and they (Ted?) thought it was misleading. I think that's bull{censored} so I bought Celestions instead.

He's right about that, but even a guide to help you shop would be nice. They could state their measurement conditions and put a disclaimer that other manufacturers may not use the same/correct measurement techniques.

It get's out in the market place if your product is known to be over or under speced anyway.

• Members

I hear very good things about Webers, and the Signature speakers are really cheap. I think I'm gonna pick up the Sig 12B ($45+shipping with the sale they're having...). I don't need something perfect, and I'm sure that'll be a way to get WAY better than the {censored}ty stock speaker without breaking the bank. Thanks for the input though, guys.

• Members

having used different Webers, this is certainly NOT the case.

Weber Ceramic Blue Dogs with pre-Rola doping are my favorite speaker, they handle anything I throw at them and sound great across the entire frequency spectrum

• Members

having used different Webers, this is certainly NOT the case.

Ive yet to purchase a Weber and install, only to remove it unhappy. Great speakers. Call them and tell them about the musicmaster, and that youre looking for something that will increase the volume over the 30 yr old speaker etc. theyll help you out.

• Members
Wattage and SPL are completely independant of each other. Pay NO attention to magnet size. The SPL rating is the closest measure you will get to a representation of a speaker's "loudness". The loudest speakers I know of are from eminence:

-The Wizard -> Tons of midrange, very loud, but still warm and plenty of low end

-The Governer -> Kind of sounds like a Vintage 30 (arguably) but is a bit louder and a bit brighter, smoother midrange

-Man o War -> Scooped sounding like the G12T75, but has its own flavour, pronouced sparkly highs and heavy lows

-Red Fang -> Alnico speaker with great crunchy handling capabilities. Classic Alnico sound.

-D

Wow! You really know your Eminence. I build custom cabs and that is the main brand of speakers I use. Love their Red Coat and Patriot line, although there are still several over in the Legends line that I use.

Rock on!:rawk:

• Members

Of all the speakers ive ever played these were the worst, all they are is highs. What lows they have are so tight they might as well not be there. Sure they were loud, but it sounds so bad that you just want it to stop.

Archived