I can't find an amp

wkwon

• Members

I just want a single-channel head that's less than 25 watts with four knobs:

treble

mid

bass

volume

I figured it would be simple, but so far the only ones out there seem to be boutique amps that cost $1k+. The cheapest I have seen is a Reeves 12 watt that is $800. I liked the Jet City JCA20H I tried, and I figured I could max the master volume and use the gain as the overall volume knob, but from what I've read, it seems that it dirties up pretty quickly after 3, which I don't want.

Am I overlooking any amps? Or is my simplistic taste going to really cost me over a grand?

• Members

I think the Krank rev meets your criteria to a certain extent. What kind of sound you going for?

Haha, at first, I thought you were making fun of me, but then I realized that it was my fault for not saying what I wanted tone-wise.

I'm looking for a generally clean tone with a decent amount of breakup by the time I'm at 6-7 on volume.

• Members

hm. kinda hard to believe there's not something out there like that. I haven't really ever searched for it, but now that you mention it, I can't even think of one. There was a Dr. Z with 2 volume knobs (I can only assume pre and post) but it was pretty pricey.

I know right? When I went searching for one, I was suprised by how hard it was. I have looked at the Dr. Z's and other than them being too expensive, some (such as the one you're talking about) have too LITTLE controls. I'd like to control each aspect of treble, middle, and bass.

• Members
I just want a single-channel head that's less than 25 watts with four knobs:

treble

mid

bass

volume

I figured it would be simple, but so far the only ones out there seem to be boutique amps that cost $1k+. The cheapest I have seen is a Reeves 12 watt that is $800. I liked the Jet City JCA20H I tried, and I figured I could max the master volume and use the gain as the overall volume knob, but from what I've read, it seems that it dirties up pretty quickly after 3, which I don't want.

Am I overlooking any amps? Or is my simplistic taste going to really cost me over a grand?

Blackheart Little Giant fits your description.

• Members
The problem with that is that it's too tiny. I'm not looking for a practice amp. I need something that can keep up with a band.

Thanks though!
:thu:

I wonder. What about those DIY amp kits that are always floating around? Think you have the capability for one of those? There's always lot's of options with those guys...

• Members
5e3 tweed deluxe

doesnt have a mids knob, but doesnt need one.
:D

These are all perfect... except it needs to be a head.

I foolishly jumped on an avatar 2x12 w/ greenbacks for $300, so I have it sitting around with nothing on top of it.

I saw the Fender BandMaster, which seems to be a deluxe reverb in a head form, but Fender just HAD to put those effects stuff in there. Why did they mess up such a good thing.

But honestly guys, thanks for the good advice so far. You guys are definitely 99% right.

• Members

I wonder. What about those DIY amp kits that are always floating around? Think you have the capability for one of those? There's always lot's of options with those guys...

Haha, there is NO way I could build one of those. Although I do want to double major in electrical engineering, so maybe in a couple years I could try it.

• Members

Have a look at these and decide which one has the right amount of knobs for you.

Blackheart BH15H
Blackstar Artisan 15
Bogner Brixton, New Yorker
Donato Begotti Brutus
Dr. Z Maz 18
Egnater Rebel 20, Tweaker
Jet City JCA20
Laney LionHeart L20, LC15, EX-D, TT20H
Mesa Boogie Transatlantic, Lonsestar Special
Orange AD15, Tiny Terror
Soldano Atomic (16W), Astroverb
Trace Elliot Velocette 12R
Traynor Darkhorse 15H
Vox Night Train

• Members

I think your being far too picky... there's PLENTY out there that will do exactly what you want... with your price range being what it is your going to HAVE to compromise on something...

Fender didn't RUIN their amps by putting tremolo and reverb in them either LoL.

• Members

I think your being far too picky... there's PLENTY out there that will do exactly what you want... with your price range being what it is your going to HAVE to compromise on something...

Fender didn't RUIN their amps by putting tremolo and reverb in them either LoL.

You're probably right, but I don't have a lot of money and so $700 is a lot for me.

I don't mind the tremelo and reverb, but I do mind the chorus and delay that they put in there.

• Members

Have a look at these and decide which one has the right amount of knobs for you.

Blackheart BH15H

Blackstar Artisan 15

Bogner Brixton, New Yorker

Donato Begotti Brutus

Dr. Z Maz 18

Egnater Rebel 20, Tweaker

Jet City JCA20

Laney LionHeart L20, LC15, EX-D, TT20H

Mesa Boogie Transatlantic, Lonsestar Special

Orange AD15, Tiny Terror

Soldano Atomic (16W), Astroverb

Trace Elliot Velocette 12R

Traynor Darkhorse 15H

Those are all great suggestions (although some are WAY over my price limit).

I think I'm just going to stick it out and buy the Jet City JCA20H. I just saw that VH4 did a few mods to make a clean channel, so I'll look into that. Also, with it being $300, I can spend a bit on it without feeling too guilty.

Thanks for all your guys' help! I'll definitely let you guys know when the amp gets here.

• Members

These are all perfect... except it needs to be a head.

I foolishly jumped on an avatar 2x12 w/ greenbacks for $300, so I have it sitting around with nothing on top of it.

I saw the Fender BandMaster, which seems to be a deluxe reverb in a head form, but Fender just HAD to put those effects stuff in there. Why did they mess up such a good thing.

But honestly guys, thanks for the good advice so far. You guys are definitely 99% right.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ValveSrHD/

Archived