Do you consider an amplifier an instrument?

Say Ocean

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I think of it as an extension of the guitar. If I didnt have an amp, I would only have the sounds of the strings on my guitar. Different amps respond differently than others. So I guess I at least consider it equally as important as a guitar. I can see how some people consider an amp an instrument. All you definate {censored}ers make me :mad:

• Members

Not an instrument, but a good tube amp could be considered an analog sound processor (?)

I mean, the amp is responsible (mostly), for your tone/sound, etc. The guitar wouldn't sound that way acoustically...same can't be said for accessories, like a slide, etc.

• Members

if this has already been posted

I doe int carehhhhh!!!
- Jim Carey

wikipedia.org definition of "music instrument":
A musical instrument is an object constructed or used for the purpose of making the sounds of music. In principle, anything that produces sound ...

hey these is insrumentz 2 doot!! ---> :rawk::badump::deadhorse::blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :mad: :mad: (I could make a serious run at fronting Attacking! Andrea! Alexander! 'sAss! with those vocals I just displayed, no?)

• Members

That doesn't make it an amp an instrument on its own though. The guitar is the instrument that you play, the source of the signal, the amplifer alters and amplifies the signal.

So wouldn't it be part of the instrument in the same way a sound hole is part of an acoustic guitar?

• Members
So wouldn't it be part of the instrument in the same way a sound hole is part of an acoustic guitar?

But a soundhole in and of itself is not an instrument. Although I do suddenly feel the urge to tell people I play the sound hole :cop:

• Members

J I mean, the only thing that separates it is that you don't physically touch it

I disagree. The only thing that separates it IMO is that it is incapable of producing sounds on its own. You don't touch a Theremin and no one argues that that isn't an instrument.

• Members
I disagree. The only thing that separates it IMO is that it is incapable of producing sounds on its own. You don't touch a Theremin and no one argues that that isn't an instrument.

Is a synth an instrument? It doesn't produce sound on its own. :snax:

Archived