A. Laiho + Engl SE

Wizard of Ozz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dumps tend to feel good.

I agree. I really think the post-mega dump feeling of relief is one of the most underrated feelings in the world. You're forced to do it too...it's like being forced to have your genitals slobbered on by an army of naked supermodels.

• Members

I agree. I really think the post-mega dump feeling of relief is one of the most underrated feelings in the world. You're forced to do it too...it's like being
forced
to have your genitals slobbered on by an army of naked supermodels.

Post-mega dump is up there with pissing and cumming.

• Members

has to be using a pedal there , tones rubbish and not representative of that amp by a long shot .Saw this video a long time ago with the exact same thoughts,buzzy thin sterile solid state sounding .His playing isn't that technical here or to be honest exciting, esp knowing the quality he can reach and is well know for as a guitar player .

• Members

Was the first video with a TS of some sort? Its pretty clear that Loomis dialed the amp much better and used a moderate distortion with a Tubescreamer type pedal.

I have learned that having your amp do all the gain work isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

BTW, both are incredibly boring in the samples provided.

• Members
Was the first video with a TS of some sort? Its pretty clear that Loomis dialed the amp much better and used a moderate distortion with a Tubescreamer type pedal.

I have learned that having your amp do all the gain work isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Yup..........people on here constantly say that you can't boost an ENGL..:facepalm:

Ah contrare.......:love::lol:

I enjoyed both videos personally.......Loomis......what a monster.....

• Members

Yup...That'a an ENGL...Thin, a bit too compressed, harsh in the high-top with solid state like over-tones. I do get why people like these amps...But the ENGL voicing simply does not agree with me...But I did kinda like the Blackmore, as it reminded me a bit of the 5150 and seemed to be more organically voiced that all the other ENGL high-gainers.

Couple other observations:

His recorded tones are stronger

If Zakk Wylde shaved, took a shower and lost 40 lbs. he would look exactly like that...If fact he actually did back in the "Miracle Man" Ozzy days

I dig Alexi's riffs and fluid style

...Just my opinion.

• Members
God damn I can't believe this {censored}ty riffing considering how awesome Hatebreeder was.
:facepalm:
nu-gruv FTL

Also that tone was pretty average at best. Just sounds like any number of generic high gain tones (and riffs for that matter)

+1 on both counts. Hatebreeder had some killer riffs on it.This stuff sounds rubbish in comparison.

The HB tone was pretty sweet too, aside from the overall mix needing more low end. This clip just sounds like bright and buzzy bull{censored}. No balls at all. :idk:

• Members

They are also using completely different cabs. Alexi is using the very average-at-best sounding Marshall 1960A with rear mounted G12T75s, and Loomis is using an Engl Pro 4x12 with front mounted V30s. The cab makes a huge difference.

The SE is not a bad sounding amp at all, but it's not nearly as versatile as it's made out to be, doesn't record really well, and the cleans aren't that great either. Having just owned the SE and 5150 at the same time, I've gotta say the 5150 sounds better... and there's a huge price difference between the two.

Peter Wichers of Soilwork tracked and produced the new Nevermore album. He recorded Loomis playing two tracks with a 5150 and two with the Engl SE (along with DIs for both). Andy Sneap is mixing the album, and he liked the 5150 tracks he was sent, but hated the Engl SE tracks. He reamped the DIs for the SE tracks... not sure with what though...

• Members

Yup...
That'a an ENGL...Thin, a bit too compressed, harsh in the high-top with solid state like over-tones. I do get why people like these amps...But the ENGL voicing simply does not agree with me.
..But I did kinda like the Blackmore, as it reminded me a bit of the 5150 and seemed to be more organically voiced that all the other ENGL high-gainers.

Couple other observations:

His recorded tones are stronger

If Zakk Wylde shaved, took a shower and lost 40 lbs. he would look exactly like that...If fact he actually did back in the "Miracle Man" Ozzy days

I dig Alexi's riffs and fluid style

...Just my opinion.

Those clips were OK, tone was decent, not great, not bad.

Then again, most Metal tones are only so-so.

As for ENGLs, I have an Engl Screamer 50 1x12 combo.

Unfortunately, here in the USA we pay a higher price for them than overseas.

I paid $1400 for mine which included the optional Z5 $230 footswitch.

For $1400 you get a VERSATILE amp in a relatively small and lightweight package, 49lbs.

It has nice cleans for jazz to anything unlike many high gainers and gain that can take you from blues, to classic rock to hard rock to metal.

Is it the BEST amp?

No, but its versatility, compactness, and light weight make it a really nice tube combo that does everything well.

Archived