so I've been driving a bit more lately...

B.Renegades

• Members

as you know I am 15 years old, so my mom has been letting me drive more recently (just around the house, etc)

So one day she let me drive up to the grocery store (its only a block away), and I parked just fine. I felt really confident about it.

So I buy my stuff and once I get out and back into the car - I just couldn't do it. I could not back out to save my life.

It was pretty packed, a lot of cars in the parking area, and I did NOT feel safe backing out.

I made my mom walk over and back out herself...

Any tips on backing out in crowded areas?

I'm pretty much set on driving, I got the feel down, just not comfortable backing out. I don't know why.

• Members
New driver phobia. Totally normal. You'll get over it eventually and be just fine. I still can't parallel park a car to save my life and I'm twice your age.
:lol:

well yeah but what if I never get comfortable backing out? What if my whole life I end up having to park on the road because there is no one else around me?

I HATE it when people do that :mad:

• Members
so my mom has been letting me drive more recently (just around the house, etc)

So one day she let me drive up to the grocery store (its only a block away), and I parked just fine. I felt really confident about it.

So I buy my stuff and once I get out and back into the car - I just couldn't do it. I could not back out to save my life.

It was pretty packed, a lot of cars in the parking area, and I did NOT feel safe backing out.

I'm pretty much set on driving, I got the feel down, just not comfortable backing out. I don't know why.

is there any reason we should know your age?

• Members
well yeah but what if I never get comfortable backing out? What if my whole life I end up having to park on the road because there is no one else around me?

I HATE it when people do that
:mad:

You'll get over it. Trust me. Is it a big car or SUV or something? Why the fear?

• Members
More understandable now. You'll get used to it. Do you have a smaller vehicle you can give it a shot on first until you feel more secure with the Explorer?
:confused:

Now, its our only vehicle, until I get my own.

I WANT a big vehicle though - me and a friend are getting a band together and I want to be able to drive us + the gear around and stuff.

• Members
as you know I am 15 years old, so my mom has been letting me drive more recently (
just around the house
, etc)

I'd hate to see what's left of your furniture! :eek:

All seriousness aside, if you can't see what's behind you, get out and look first. There's nothing macho about backing into an old lady walking past your car.

• Members

I remember when i was learning to drive, it was in the winter so there was snow everywhere. I have always been really comfortable driving. I had no problem parking and backing out, parallel parking, I think is incredibly easy. The only issue I really had was getting into first gear lol. But its like anything it just takes practice and confidence. Do what they teach you in the classes. Drive defensively and aggressively when you need to. Those people in the parking lot wouldnt let you out until you started backing out. Actually now that I think about it, I did have issues parking big vehicles lol. Alot of what i learned though was me working at a car dealership though.

• Members
You need a battle cry. when i first learned how to back up properly i'd open up all my windows and scream outside-

"BITCHES! I AM BACKING UP. GET THE {censored} OUT OF MY WAY."

:lol: I was going to mention tapping the horn, but this might be more effective.

• Members
:lol:
I was going to mention tapping the horn, but this might be more effective.

it made me into a real defensive and aggressive driver today! I've only been in one accident [in 14 years of driving] and that was the other guys fault! [so said the court!]

• Members

You need a battle cry. when i first learned how to back up properly i'd open up all my windows and scream outside-

"BITCHES! I AM BACKING UP. GET THE {censored} OUT OF MY WAY."

make tender love to me, woman old enough to be my mother.

Archived