WTF happened to Johnny Lang and his career?

campfirehero

• Members

he had the right approach to the instrument, play less and let the notes do the talking...but his songs were AWFUL and his vocals couldn't carry the song either.

And, especially on the first couple albums, he didn't actually play a lot of the 'cool' guitar work. It's was the 'backing' guitarist, Paul. Lang was always a gimmick...from the time he started in Fargo with the Big Bang (we used to go watch them play every once in a while)....he was really young and could play some stuff and was an OK singer....once he became an adult, a lot of the novelty wore off and he was just another mediocre 20-something with OK vocals and OK guitar skills.

• Members

I always thought Kenny Wayne Sheppard>Johnny Lang. The downside is that these two artists gained notoriety for their blues work, and then on their sophmore (their 2nd COMMERCIAL album), they completely changed their style. KWS went for a southern-rock-type sound and it sounded awful IMO, and Johnny Lang went for more of the pop sound, and I haven't heard about him in years until this thread...

• Members
Jonny Langseth (real name, went to another school near mine) fired the band that made him and it came back to bite him in the ass.

little sis Jessie gave the biz a try too but didn't really get anywhere. Haven't heard much about her the last couple years.

• Members

I always thought Kenny Wayne Sheppard>Johnny Lang. The downside is that these two artists gained notoriety for their blues work, and then on their sophmore (their 2nd COMMERCIAL album), they completely changed their style. KWS went for a southern-rock-type sound and it sounded awful IMO, and Johnny Lang went for more of the pop sound, and I haven't heard about him in years until this thread...

I agree with this. I think he is a pretty good player but at the end of the day he just isn't talented enough to convince the real blues fans to like him or mainstream enough for the pop crowd(ala john mayer fans) to latch on.

• Members

He started getting his break with the big bang when they did a lot of opening acts with Mike and the Monsters in Fargo. I worked with Mike at the recording studio in town where John recorded his demo album. As said, he really started doing the singing thing as the young kid with the older guys. He learned the guitar pretty quick. One of my best friends from college played bass for Jessi and she was going out with the son of one of my studio clients at one time. I actually never met John though. He used to come in at nights to record and I was usually working days with the advertising clients.

Archived