Beware of Framus amps

atomicrifmaster

• Members

I have a Framus Cobra and my trusty old VHT Pittbull Hundred/CL and I have never had one problem with the VHT . . . EVER, but the Framus is another story. From day one it has been fraught with problems ranging anywhere from blowing preamp tubes randomly to running power tubes at the oddest voltages probably (I'm told and it makes sense) due to a horrible power transformer. V1 and v2 read around 30-32 while v3 and v4 read upwards of 50, and no, it is not the power tubes. I can move the tubes around but the voltages are still different. I got this amp on a trade and regret every single minuet detail about doing it. I've had numerous techs look at it in depth and they all have nothing but bad things to say about the build quality, and frankly I agree, it's a downright poor quality build for the money. I just thought I should share my experience with any perspective buyers. It seems, as I have done more and more research, that I am not the only one with such strange problems. Many others also have similar experiences with techs telling them the build is horrible. So, congrats if you get a solid working one because for the minutes when mine works it's godly and I see it's potential. However, this does not make up for the massive failure rate so many people become victim to. So, perspective Framus buyers beware of this stipulation!

• Members

Yeahhh, pretty sure it's just a bad apple, I'm just so frustrated with it. I actually did consider an eBay auction and just keeping my mouth shut but all I could think of was how I felt when I first turned her on and plugged in and things went downhill and I don't think I could ever do that to someone. I decided I'm going to have it shipped out to the NY shop and have them look it over and, if need be, put a new power trans in it.

• Members

Never had those problems with mine, only problem I had was a blown mullard resissue in V3. The russian tubes can't handle the voltage there, use chinese tubes only in V3 and you should be fine.

Sounds like your amp is broken, have you considered having somebody competent fix it?:idea: Did any of the techs do any work on it or just look at it, tell you it was poor quality and do nothing?:confused:

edit-just saw your post that you're sending it in, hope it works out for you. They're killer amps.

• Members
Yeahhh, pretty sure it's just a bad apple, I'm just so frustrated with it. I actually did consider an eBay auction and just keeping my mouth shut but all I could think of was how I felt when I first turned her on and plugged in and things went downhill and I don't think I could ever do that to someone. I decided I'm going to have it shipped out to the NY shop and have them look it over and, if need be, put a new power trans in it.

:thu: Good answer. Sounds like you got {censored}ed, but no reason to {censored} the next guy. I have moral issues with selling something that is {censored}ed up without completly disclosing it. Just not right.

• Members

Well, all the audio engineers that looked it over said that for there to be anything even close to zero crossover distortion it would've had to be at like 70mA which is ridiculous (not to mention even at 30 it's melting the bases of tubes!). They're all great guys and didn't end up doing anything to it because I've really been trying to figure out how much money I want to sink into this thing. I figure a shipment out to NY and a new power transformer can't be over $400-500 . . . at least I hope not.

• Members
Hmmm, well, I hope that you enjoy it after it's fixed and you don't have too large of a bill.

Hey Superfly, I need more Peters clips. Of both ur maps! When u get time of course. Please. Chuggin, Speed palm muting. Fast riffing. You know, just play them as if i were there. HEHE, I am being a smart ass, but seriously, play like me. :rawk:

Archived