Recommend a rack power amp

newmaxnew

• Members

I broke down and bought a MP-1 preamp and if I am going to use it live I will need a power amp. I don't want to spend a ton of money, so I have been looking for an old peavey classic 50/50 but haven't found one cheap enough yet.

What do you rack guys suggest for a resonably priced rack guitar power amp? How about a list of what is available so I can search ebay? I know Ada made power ampsas well as Mosvalve, Marshall, Mesa, what others am I missing?

Max

• Members

I've used a Rocktron Velocity for a few years and it's just fine. One nice thing is it has a presence control on each channel, so I can simply adjust for the way we hear loud and quiet guitar voicings with that presence knob. It's extremely useful.

However the most solid amp I tried in the rack was an older Crown PA amp. It weighs about 40lb, but has TONS of reserve power and really puts a thump into palm-muted chords for heavy rhythm. Definitely try to find a used lower-power (100-200w per channel) PA power amp. It's actually worth the weight of that big iron transformer for the solid WHUMP you get.

FWIW, I don't set up the rack to get any of the voice from the power amp - it's all done in the preamp and EQ. The amp is dead-neutral.

• Members

Carvin TS100, or even an old T100 (aka Tube 100) if you can find one. Very clean-sounding compared to the Peavey Classics. The Peavey 50/50 is my favorite though, because it has both presence and resonance controls and sounds awesome.

• Members

A local guy contacted me with a Mosvalve 500 for $250. I really don't need that much power but if I remember right those mosvalve amps had a good reputation.

Knuckle, how much for the Peavey shipped to Everett, WA, 98203?

Max

• Members

A local guy contacted me with a Mosvalve 500 for $250. I really don't need that much power but if I remember right those mosvalve amps had a good reputation.

Max

The Mosvalves ARE good, but IMHO this Peavey Classic will {censored} all over it for about the same price.

• Members

Max

PM sent :wave:

• Members

The Mosvalves ARE good, but IMHO this Peavey Classic will {censored} all over it for about the same price.

This.

That's the power amp I use with my MP-1, and it is SOLID. The only thing I don't like about mine is that it has the volume control in the back.

I could move the pot to the front I guess, but I'm not using the rack much these days, so...

Archived